What's new

Universal's Epic Universe | Orlando USA | Theme Park

It's pretty obvious the land was supposed to be heavily based on Fantastic Beasts but got hurriedly changed after those films increasingly tanked at the box office. A pivot to nostalgia (and an era of Harry Potter films when the books' author wasn't busy torching her own reputation) probably made the most business sense to Universal even if the exterior surrounding the attraction no longer makes any thematic sense with the interior.

That apparently isn't what happened. British Ministry ideas were being planned for the original park then moved to Epic once it became a thing. It does allow for a much grander ride this way. Without hearing that insight it doesn't appear that way from the outside at all. Perhaps other Beast themed attractions were cut confusing the impression even further.

Last edited:
Those streets of Paris are certainly a gamble. Diagon Alley was built up throughout several books and movies as a key location in the lore. It is visited many times and viewed from several perspectives through Harry's eyes: as a place of childhood whimsy of the first visit in Philosopher's Stone, showing the first hint of a darker side to wizarding society in Chamber of Secrets, giving the taste of the wizarding world outside Hogwarts in Prisoner of Azkaban, being mostly inaccessible to Harry as he clashes with the ministry in Order of the Phoenix, being an indication of dark times and depression in Half-blood Prince, and finally the site of the heist in Deathly Hallows. It's an iconic place the reader (and viewer!) is fully immersed in and gives a real sense of recognition between books and movies. It's a location full of iconic sights and shops.

Likewise, Hogsmeade is given somewhat less attention in the books, and certainly in the movies, but it is adjacent to Hogwarts itself, which is *the* iconic location for the entire series.

Meanwhile, 1920's Paris is visited in one scene in what is by far the most disjointed and messy movie in the franchise. There's one passing reference to one French wand shop in Goblet of Fire. That's all the material the series gives to work with. No matter how excellent the execution, the place won't have the same draw and recognition that Diagon Alley has, not to mention Hogsmeade. That's probably why they saw the need to connect it to a more recognizable location (the Ministry of Magic, which only appears in the fifth and seventh books/movies), even though that connection makes no logical sense.

I have faith that Universal will manage to deliver some truly great rides, but in the long run I doubt it will rival the other two Potter locations for popularity.
Yeahhh the Fantastic Beasts movies have been anything but stellar (Secrets of Dumbledore, the latest movie, got a 46% on Rotten Tomatoes); but Universal knows how to spin up attractions on *ahem* movies that bomb on critical reception, yet still offer franchise IP. (e.g. Fast and Furious, Kong, Jurassic World) And Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge, while not exactly trying to have consistent canon between it and Star Tours right next door within park; does show you can tastefully attend to different parts/timelines of a franchise.

My pick? I would’ve just went for something in time with Harry Potter main series, like the Triwizarding Tournament being at the American or French school, or maybe the Quidditch World Cup going on, with guests being apart of the pregame festivities. IDK, Paris will be fine.

The Grand Helios hotel has had it's reveal video, finally, today. No dates but the usual CGI concept art moving through places that's been so great throughout this campaign.

The inside looks great, most importantly the roof top bar is as fabulous as I'd hoped. The dome on top is thankfully hollow and features artistic constellations. Now to somehow stay here...

Double post, worth it. Here is the dramatic flythrough. May I suggest getting to 2:12 and pausing for a bit then coming back 🍸

3865300-Helios-Image-1920x1080-Rooftop-Still.jpg

From the Blog: "It’s a rooftop bar and restaurant. We’re going to lean into that Mediterranean approach with sliders, salads, lamb and chicken gyros, tapas, antipasti. We’ll serve really sunny-type cocktails, like spritzes, bellinis, martinis, and negronis in addition to typical cocktail, beer, and wine options.”

Some of my favourite things.

3865300-Helios-Image-1920x1080-Top-Bar.jpg

The list of hotel benefits does not currently mention fast pass that's included with the other deluxe hotels. It's been speculated throughout construction this could be the case - even though they are now calling Helios the signature hotel in a class of its own. Until the initial rush dies down and everything is running smoothly, this park and/or hotel may not offer skipping lines in the way the others do. Will be a much fairer way for everyone visiting the park for the first time and less of a headache on Universal when both sides are unhappy about it not working out for them. If forking out to stay here I'd want my full moneys worth so for any once in a lifetime visitors perhaps wait even longer. They have built the fast pass lanes in the park so it should happen eventually.

Early park entry is included like all the other hotels and that will help with all head starts.

Last edited:
Plenty of updates, all of which just ooze epic.

Windmill sighted in motion at the Burning Blade Tavern. Just wait until they start lighting it aflame :)

A palm tree forest has suddenly sprung up at Donkey Kong. This doesn’t exist at the Japanese coaster, that’s where Forbidden Journey’s queue is;
E9D26F78-6D01-46B0-94FC-DAB1438C3E6D.jpeg
Source

Helios is up and guarding the hotel;
0FEF71C9-8D2C-4A97-91BA-D8B5B4B9682F.jpeg
Source