What's new

Universal's Epic Universe | Orlando USA | Theme Park

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It's always hard to judge a coaster by it's construction, especially on these types of coasters that clearly lean heavily into theming/dark ride sections. I'm getting strong vibes back to Hagrid's Motorbike Coaster, which had similar debate on "how good could it be?" when just looking at layout and track design alone:

I honestly didn't realize the spinner was to be a family coaster, so interesting to see it IRL/testing. Will be cool to compare it's intensity to other Mack spinners!

emoo

Hyper Poster
It's as if this is the same concept art but fireworks & fuzziness removed then labels added. It's not as the front gate has the proper portal entrance shaping now but there are a few things not yet depicted as have been built. Will be fun to comb through and look for updates.

I'm stoked that they are publicly hyping this up and this is a neat promo video:

All of this art is gorgeous.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Cool to see more of the concept - definitely dig the "portals" as a scalable, modular concept to make it easier for adding (or subtracting) areas through the life of the park.

emoo

Hyper Poster

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
In general it sounds like Ministry of Magic will be a multi-motion flat ride; there's conflicting reports on exact features, but feels very Rise of the Resistance-esque (a good thing!)

I am most stoked for the Dark World and Universal Monsters theme. I have felt for a while Universal has slept on their older IP, and leaning "into the classics" is a solid, long standing move versus shakier, newer IP that may not age well. coughKongcough

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I am most stoked for the Dark World and Universal Monsters theme. I have felt for a while Universal has slept on their older IP, and leaning "into the classics" is a solid, long standing move versus shakier, newer IP that may not age well. coughKongcough

You mean… King Kong? They’ve recently rebooted that, sure, but as a franchise it’s similarly old to the ‘Universal Monsters’ (i.e. 1930s). But yes only film school types get excited about the original King Kong these days, whereas there is a much bigger audience for ‘horror’ in general.

Looks like it’ll be an modern look for the Dark Universe monsters as well.

‘Dark Universe’ was the name for the multi-film franchise that kicked off with the Tom Cruise Mummy film, but they pulled the plug on it after the lukewarm reception. I think that film was plagued by spending energy ‘setting up the next film’ - rather than making sure the film could stand by itself.

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
You mean… King Kong? They’ve recently rebooted that yes but as a franchise it’s similarly old to the ‘Universal Monsters’ (i.e. 1930s). But yes only film school types get excited about the original King Kong these days, whereas there is a much bigger audience for ‘horror’ in general.

Looks like it’ll be an modern look for the Dark Universe monsters as well.

‘Dark Universe’ was the name for the multi-film franchise that kicked off with the Tom Cruise Mummy film, but they pulled the plug on it after the lukewarm reception. I think that film was plagued by spending energy ‘setting up the next film’ - rather than making sure the film could stand by itself.
Sorry yes, the general reboot is the shaky IP I was referring to. Honestly, go old school Kong ride for me!

Ries

Mega Poster
its strange that they still have the dark universe spinning coaster in a building.
I saw another overview concept with better Donkey Kong area and Dark Universe.

Attachments

• Universal-Epic-Universe-Orlando-Florida.jpg
    Universal-Epic-Universe-Orlando-Florida.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 86

emoo

Hyper Poster
A few gas line were in permits for a couple of themed effects.

2 large statues in the Isle of Berk

The windmill in Dark Universe

If/how/when they are used is only guessing.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
The main video is THE most wholesome video. I actually got goosebumps and a lump in my throat. Amazing work from their marketing team.
I nearly cried and since I was at work I had to hold it in. The video was so great and I'm more excited than I thought I could be for this park.

Bentleya

Mega Poster
I'm pleased it has the little swing launch in the middle with hopefully some form of effects in the building. Without this, it would feel rather short / it looks rather short.