What's new

Universal Studios Singapore Expansions

bob_3_

Giga Poster
https://geekculture.co/super-mario-...al-studios-singapore-in-first-mega-expansion/

Looks like they're finally expanding the park. Albeit, probably carbon copies of existing areas and attractions. I enjoy when Universal bring something more unique to the parks like they've done with say, Flying Dinosaur in Japan or even Battlestar Galactica in Singapore so I'm slightly dissapointed, but it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

peep

CF Legend
OK, this all sounds awesome but where the hell is it going? It felt like the park had used every inch of usable space.

Kinda sucks they're replicating the minion mayhem ride, it's not a great experience and it's only popular because of the IP. The land they built around it in Japan looks fantastic though.

Overall I'm just happy that within a few years they'll be a "reason" to go back.

Ben

CF Legend
Intttteerrreestting.

I kind of thought Singapore was always just going to be forgotten about, so fab to hear it’s getting some love, really is a great little park.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The concept art for Minion Park is from Osaka. I can't see it being the same given that Osaka's reused the old Back to the Future ride.

I'm not excited by this at all. Minions may prove to be more popular than Madagascar, but a copied simulator ride that already exists at all the other Universal parks is a piss poor replacement for a unique dark ride.

I can also see the Mario thing being shoved off in a different area to the main park as well. There's no room otherwise. The new Nintendo stuff looks great, but again, I can't get excited for what will end up being a copy/paste from Osaka.

The reason I liked the Singapore park is that they generally avoided copy/paste attractions in order to make the place unique.

Financially, Minions and Mario make sense. That's it.

cookie

Giga Poster
Massive bump, but we finally have movement. Kiss goodbye to Madagascar.
I visited Universal Singapore when the park was brand new and even then it felt like the Madagascar area lived on borrowed time. The flume ride was severely crippled by the removal of the drop, and the area in general was a dead zone compared to the other areas in the park. Not huge on the Minions, but hopefully it can liven the area up a bit.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I visited Universal Singapore when the park was brand new and even then it felt like the Madagascar area lived on borrowed time. The flume ride was severely crippled by the removal of the drop, and the area in general was a dead zone compared to the other areas in the park. Not huge on the Minions, but hopefully it can liven the area up a bit.
Yeah, that was my experience with it, too. I've been twice: once when it was very quiet and again when it was very busy. Even on the busy day, Madagascar had a very minimal queue. Yeah, it's high-capacity, but still. I thought it was a really good ride, but I don't think it'll be massively missed.

StevenX

Roller Poster
Agreed with both of the above. Madagascar has always been a terrible fit and a waste of space in Singapore. However, I really dislike Minions and think and hope that franchise is also on its last legs and that they should do something more interesting with the space.

In general, Universal Singapore is a bit of a strange anomaly of the parks and has some slightly bizarre elements which don't show up elsewhere and which don't really work on their own - Battlestar Galactica being the obvious example.