What's new

Universal Orlando | Skull Island: Reign of Kong | Unknown

Lofty

CF Legend
Re: Universal Orlando | Skull Island: Reign of Kong | Unknow

It's behind the 'Jurassic Park' gateway, so in theory, part of Jurassic Park. Yeah, it's ****.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

Ughhhhhh. First Harry Potter now this, they're ruining the concept of the Islands and it's annoying. Even if it looks like it'll be a good ride.

Ben

CF Legend

That's fab.

To be fair, I think they should have rebranded the Jurassic Park area in to like, 'the Lost World' or 'Scary Jungle Place'

Lofty

CF Legend

Agreed, they should have renamed and rethemed the Jurassic Park area, because to be fair, even when it opened, it didn't 'fit' in, it always felt a bit out of place, to me anyyay.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I feel like Kong fits abstractly with JP, but yeah. Best to rename the land. Otherwise it's like LOL WHYS KONG IN JURASSIC PARK? JP is too strong of a brand to just push things into it.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend

Not to mention with the resurgence of the brand with the Jurassic World movie, this is quite possible THE worst time they could have bothered to do something like this. If they'd have done this prior to even the teasers and announcements of Jurassic World and I think people wouldn't have been AS bothered, but now the Jurassic Park IP has become vogue again, and therefore, it makes it much more noticeable.

peep

CF Legend

^Na, that's nothing compared to the fact a new Kong movie is out next year

There were rumours a while back that this ride will be more tied in with the new movie but that's totally not the case. So weird.

I don't think it's been mentioned but I think the park are considering this as a new "island", haven't seen anything relating to that for a while so not sure if that's still the case.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster

I'll think they'll have the ride descriptions of "Skull Island" separate from "Jurassic Park" on the map and just treat it as a stand alone attraction in that "area".

spicy

Giga Poster

peep said:
I don't think it's been mentioned but I think the park are considering this as a new "island", haven't seen anything relating to that for a while so not sure if that's still the case.

This is far too close to JP for that, this picture Lofty posted a while back shows that its basically in the JP area.

Lofty said:
12742526_10156496740880109_236097949404030781_n.jpg

<3

Love the look of Kong but it really is unlike Universal to put a ride like this somewhere so out of place, that area was prime for another JP ride which the area is really lacking.

Lofty

CF Legend

As I said, It's 'behind' the perimeter of the Jurassic Park area. As in, you go through the 'Jurassic Park' gateway, then it's on your left.

Edward M

Strata Poster

Ya, I'm not feeling the location. It will be quite jarring to go from cartoony Toon Lagoon to gritty King Kong right into more relaxing Jurassic Park. It has the potential to ruin the great flow of the park. As for the ride itself, I just hope it isn't just that crap Kong 360 from USH in a bigger building with a few animatronics. I'm afraid it is that though.

nadroJ

CF Legend

^pretty sure that's exactly what it's going to be sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend

It is that, in essence. So pre/post screens you will have interaction with the animatronics - but apart from those small sections, it is pretty much Kong 360.

Edward M

Strata Poster

That's such a shame. With this, Fast & Furious, and Jimmy Fallon, Universal's new additions look very meh. Luckily, Volcano Bay looks great, and that third park has a LOT of potential with Nintendo and Dreamworks. I'm just hoping Universal adds some more animatronic centric rides and doesn't just have a bunch of simulators cause that can be very tiresome.

Lofty

CF Legend

Edward M said:
That's such a shame. With this, Fast & Furious, and Jimmy Fallon, Universal's new additions look very meh.

Can't agree more with this. Although we don't actually know the technology of the Fast & Furious ride - due to it being in such a large space, there is chances that it could be something quite special (just a shame the IP is ****).

Jimmy Fallon can **** right off - Florida will now have three Soarin' type experiences, which is just dog ****.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

peep said:
^Na, that's nothing compared to the fact a new Kong movie is out next year

There were rumours a while back that this ride will be more tied in with the new movie but that's totally not the case. So weird.
When this project started Universal were making the new Kong movie but it shifted to Warner Bros before production (basically because the Executive Producer is such a dick Universal didn't want to work with him anymore) and that's why the ride is unrelated. But the film's still called Kong: Skull Island!

peep

CF Legend

Ah, that I wasn't aware of. Thanks for clearing that up!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

^So basically adding another layer of ??? to this decision.

Surely the Jurassic world movie will be more popular than the Kong one?? Or is it just me that is completely unenthralled by King Kong in general?

Just ew to this in general. The Jurassic park area is so good just add to it or leave it alone. Just do a copy of the Asian JP flyer or something!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster

A few short (and similar) TV adverts advertising the ride. I guess there are some spoilers for those who care and there is also a brief shot of the animatronic. It's the same woman from the previous mockumentaries and she's fab :)
1 | 2 | 3

[tweet]https://twitter.com/thrillgeek/status/736718439646105601[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/thrillgeek/status/736725239896387584[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Attractions/status/736744810908897280[/tweet]

Lofty

CF Legend

"Colossal new ride for your life" doesn't actually make much sense, grammatically, it does, but it just doesn't flow as a sentence, whatsoever.

They've sort of spoiled the 'twist' of the show in the final video, but oh well ha.