What's new

Universal considering UK theme park in Bedford

Matt N

CF Legend
With the recent news about a Spanish patent filed by someone linked to Universal Creative for a potential new train design for Dragon Khan, another European Universal rumour floating about seems to have gone unnoticed. According to folks over on the Inside Universal forum, Universal are considering a new theme park in the United Kingdom.

I can hear the sceptics saying “Come on, Matt. This is far from the first time that someone’s come on here saying that Disney or Universal is coming to the UK, and it never ever happens or even shows signs of happening!”. But this is by no means a baseless rumour and is being spread by people who apparently have a past record of reliability.

So, what evidence do we have so far and what’s being said?

Our source is Tomfoolery, a previously reliable source for Universal Creative information on the Inside Universal forums.

The things they are saying are as follows:
  • The one key piece of hard evidence is that Universal, seemingly under the “New Ventures” part of their business that recently announced the new projects in Texas and Las Vegas and is also being tied to the rumoured purchase of PortAventura, have started a new holding company named “NVUL Corp”. This can be seen in Comcast’s financial reports alongside “NVU - Texas LLC” and “NVU - Vegas LLC”, which are the holding companies associated with purchasing the land for the Texas and Vegas projects respectively. There is talk that this company is based in the UK, but I haven’t seen any hard confirmation for that, so take that with a pinch of salt. For what it’s worth, though, some are extrapolating “NVUL” to stand for “NVU London”, in a similar vein to “NVU Texas” and “NVU Vegas”.
  • They are saying that Universal have already purchased land for a new park, and there is talk that they have been able to keep this quiet since as early as February 2023.
  • The current projected opening is “by the end of the decade”.
  • The mix of IPs is “not 100%”, but it will have “unique attractions to stand out from Orlando”.
  • It will be a “full-fledged, big-budget park”, and “not a kids park”. I took this to mean that it will be a “proper” Universal Studios park, rather than a “Universal Kids” park like the recently announced Texas project.
Now, I should stress that this is only a rumour. And given the UK’s poor prior record at delivering on these rumours and even making officially announced large projects (such as The London Resort, and indeed Universal’s own prior attempt at a London park back in the late 1980s/early 1990s, amongst others) a reality, I would certainly understand scepticism.

However, some really reliable sources over on Inside Universal are spreading the rumour, and we do have a hard piece of evidence in the form of that new holding company linked to Universal’s “New Ventures” division alongside the ones in Texas and Las Vegas. I certainly think that the holding company in particular is a very promising sign, and if it were to happen, it would be phenomenally exciting news for the UK theme park industry!
EDIT - In all the excitement, I realise that I forgot to link to the two relevant IU threads; sorry about that!

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
press-x-to-doubt-la-noire.jpg

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
I mean - that is dream come true territory but I am very sceptical. It's not the first time we've been offered a big budget theme park for it only to fizzle out into nothing.

I for one love to be proven wrong - so Universal - I beg you - prove. me.wrong!

Matt N

CF Legend
The plot thickens… because according to a different IU thread (https://forums.insideuniversal.net/threads/universal-acquires-271m-of-land.16150/#post-1022496), Comcast’s accounts also expressly mention that at some point during the 9 months to 30th September 2023, Universal made a $271million land purchase related to “the acquisition of land for future theme park expansion opportunities”

This is not thought to be related to the already-announced Texas theme park, as that was announced back in January and it was said at the time that the land had been purchased prior to the announcement.

Now I’m not saying that that is necessarily land in the UK by any stretch… but it certainly seems like Universal is strategising something if they’ve made a new holding company and bought $271m worth of land!
EDIT: Darn, I was beaten to it by @CSLKennyNI!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
On a purely selfish note, I'm guessing there would be no chance of the Potter IP being used here with Warner Brothers already using it in the UK? Or would that not matter?

cocoa

Mega Poster
who owns the rights to wallace and gromit and can we get a full sized aardman animations theme park

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I always thought a site between Bedford and Milton Keynes on one of the old brickwork would be a great location for a park, which I later found out was one of the shortlisted sites for the doomed London Resort.

That said, if anyone can best the UK's challenging market it's Universal.

Hopes are not raised, however.

I always thought a site between Bedford and Milton Keynes on one of the old brickwork would be a great location for a park, which I later found out was one of the shortlisted sites for the doomed London Resort.

That said, if anyone can best the UK's challenging market it's Universal.

Hopes are not raised, however.
Just out of interest, is there anywhere I can find all the other shortlisted sites for The London Resort?

Always been interested in designing a park myself and wanted to use one of the sites or multiple as marking spots.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Sorry, someone linked it ages ago and I don't have it to hand. The Marston Vale site I am referring to is the only one in can remember though.

I still think it's a perfect site for a Theme Park though, because:

- It sits on the underutilised Dual Carriageway between the A1 and M1.

- It's on the East West Rail route, not only that but the bit that's already in use. Making it a one change train for London, Birmingham, Sheffield, Manchester etc etc

- High population in the immediate area, but far enough from the park.

- Replacing existing derelict heavy industry, so little new property blight.

- It's 20 min from my house...

emoo

Hyper Poster
Can we buy a lifetime park entry for under a few hundred? I hope % reductions on merch and food apply.

Esther7

Roller Poster
This is very interesting! Lately there are a lot of rumors about the possible arrival of Universal to Europe, I just hope it comes true at some point.🤞🏼

Due to proximity, I'd prefer that they come to Spain, but if they finally build a park in the UK I'll also be very happy, and it would be a good excuse to go more to the UK. 😊

JackFish

Mega Poster
Universal could have a lot of success in the U.K., let's see if this ever happens, I for one hope it does!

INFERNOismybaby

Roller Poster
Sorry, someone linked it ages ago and I don't have it to hand. The Marston Vale site I am referring to is the only one in can remember though.

I still think it's a perfect site for a Theme Park though, because:

- It sits on the underutilised Dual Carriageway between the A1 and M1.

- It's on the East West Rail route, not only that but the bit that's already in use. Making it a one change train for London, Birmingham, Sheffield, Manchester etc etc

- High population in the immediate area, but far enough from the park.

- Replacing existing derelict heavy industry, so little new property blight.

- It's 20 min from my house...
As someone from Northern Luton (Yes, Luton 🫠) this would be perfect plus I have always looked at that spot either driving down the A6 or taking the train and yes, I agree, the perfect place for a park. Might be wishful thinking on our parts though!

Anyway on this topic, would be fantastic to have a new park in the UK. And again, having 2 major parks near myself would be a massive bonus! But, will this happen, pffft, who knows. I’ll take it as a whisper in the wind for now.