What's new

Universal considering UK theme park in Bedford

Bentleya

Mega Poster
Sky News article published today.

"The government has today pledged to help Universal succeed in its "exciting" plans for a UK theme park.

Transport Secretary Mark Harper, pressed to fund road improvements to aid the bid, said he has been briefed about the scheme, while Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has also been involved.

Universal Destinations & Experiences is in the "very early stages of exploring the possibility of a potential park and resort experience" in Bedford.

Its parent company, Comcast Corporation, which owns Sky News, has purchased land near the market town, with a feasibility study taking place.

Speaking at Transport questions in the Commons, Mr Harper said: "We will look very carefully at the proposals put forward, and I know the government will want to do what we can to make sure that this exciting proposal comes to fruition."

Labour MP Mohammad Yasin said the project would bring "enormous prosperity and jobs" to his Bedford constituency and the wider area."

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 52

spicy

Giga Poster
Positive news the government are all for it.

Hopefully the government give it the 'Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project' (NSIP.) which they gave the London Resort as although it didn't help that doomed project it supposedly helps with getting planning through.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Positive news the government are all for it.

Hopefully the government give it the 'Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project' (NSIP.) which they gave the London Resort as although it didn't help that doomed project it supposedly helps with getting planning through.
Not sure it would be too much help here, the local community seem to be massively in favour of this, and the benefits it would bring... Now I'm no expert, but it seems to me that an NSIP's main advantage is that it takes planning decisions out of hands of the local authority and puts them into the hands of the Government.

Like I said though, I'm no expert, so maybe there's a lot more to it than that?

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Not sure it would be too much help here, the local community seem to be massively in favour of this, and the benefits it would bring... Now I'm no expert, but it seems to me that an NSIP's main advantage is that it takes planning decisions out of hands of the local authority and puts them into the hands of the Government.

Like I said though, I'm no expert, so maybe there's a lot more to it than that?

Yes, it might help avoid any miniscule planning skirmishes.

The way they're discussed in architectural circles, NSIPs essentially behave as a fast track for planning.

Although local consultancy will still need to take place, they might not carry the same weight in criticising and changing a project if it's seen as appropriate on a grander scale. With the London Resort it would've been incredibly useful because the project laid over 3 different planning governing bodies, and the NSIP status would've allowed it to somewhat treat that as a single hurdle - it may be less use but still significant for Universal.

Bentleya

Mega Poster
BBC article mirroring the Sky News article from yesterday. (www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-68244830)

Plans for a new UK theme park have been discussed by the highest levels of government.

Universal Studios owners bought land in Stewartby, Bedfordshire, to potentially transform into a major attraction.

In the Commons, Bedford Labour MP Mohammad Yasin asked the government to support road improvements to help deliver the proposed theme park.

Transport Secretary Mark Harper said he and Chancellor Jeremy Hunt had been briefed on the bid.

Mr Yasin said: "Bedford Borough could become the home of the only Universal theme park in Europe, bringing enormous prosperity and jobs to my constituency and, indeed, the eastern regions."

He then asked the transport secretary: "Given road infrastructure funding has already been allocated until 2025, will the government commit to supporting this exciting project and funding the substantial road improvements that will be necessary for this plan to go ahead?"

Mr Harper responded: "I'm very familiar with that scheme - I've been briefed on it myself, and I know the chancellor has been involved in this as well.

"We will look very carefully at the proposals put forward, and I know the government will want to do what we can to make sure that this exciting proposal comes to fruition."

The discussion took place during transport questions in the Commons.

The idea of a theme park at the former brickworks site is being "explored" by Universal Destinations and Experiences.

The company purchased 480-acre (195 hectares) plot between Bedford and Milton Keynes, 60 miles (97km) from London.

"We are always looking at new locations around the world, including in Europe, and the UK is an attractive place for a potential project," a spokesperson for the Comcast-owned firm said.

The company has resorts in Orlando and Hollywood in the United States, as well as Osaka in Japan and Beijing in China.

Attachments

• ddddd.JPG
    ddddd.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 30
  • gerg.JPG
    gerg.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 32
  • rgrgrg.JPG
    rgrgrg.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 35

Tonkso

Hyper Poster

I have submitted my feedback via their local consultation portal which is now available.

Naturally I have supported the project, but have highlighted the need for strong public transport access on both the Midland Main Line and East West Rail, as well as the potential to partner with the nearby Forest Centre (a major local environmental remediation project) to offset the environmental impact of the park. Additionally, as I will personally be disrupted by the works on the A421, I have suggested any junction work required should be timed to overlap or be as close to the existing A421 work at Black Cat Roundabout (for the A428 extension) to minimise disruption to those of us in the local area.

Ultimately, this resort is going to provide an estimated 8000 local full time jobs, and then many more with supporting infra (like hotels and restaurants not operated by Universal), this is a once in a generation opportunity to provide large scale employment to replace the jobs lost back in 2008 when the brickworks itself closed down.

I also made a suggestion (as they specifically asked about existing assets on site) that the charming 1920s brick building that survived the closure should be repurposed into a cafe or shop, rather than swept away.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

I have submitted my feedback via their local consultation portal which is now available.

Naturally I have supported the project, but have highlighted the need for strong public transport access on both the Midland Main Line and East West Rail, as well as the potential to partner with the nearby Forest Centre (a major local environmental remediation project) to offset the environmental impact of the park. Additionally, as I will personally be disrupted by the works on the A421, I have suggested any junction work required should be timed to overlap or be as close to the existing A421 work at Black Cat Roundabout (for the A428 extension) to minimise disruption to those of us in the local area.

Ultimately, this resort is going to provide an estimated 8000 local full time jobs, and then many more with supporting infra (like hotels and restaurants not operated by Universal), this is a once in a generation opportunity to provide large scale employment to replace the jobs lost back in 2008 when the brickworks itself closed down.

I also made a suggestion (as they specifically asked about existing assets on site) that the charming 1920s brick building that survived the closure should be repurposed into a cafe or shop, rather than swept away.
Sounds like you've done a fantastic job... Much better than what we'll see from some goons... "I support this project because... Must build rollercoaster now!!!!"

I'd like to express my personal thanks for suggesting the Midland Mainline as a primary link. :) (Although it does make sense, it serves the North and South very well.) Despite my rural location, there's a station on the Midland Mainline that I can actually walk to!!!

---------------------------------------

I'll try and pull things of interest out of that document, starting with this... It seems to confirm expansion space within the site, with the whole of the northern half of the site just being labelled as 'mixed use' under the initial Masterplan.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 152756.jpg

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I'm actually hoping they follow up with my email, as I do genuinely mean everything I'm writing here, but I do want to see the park built in the most environmentally conscious way possible. It can be a real net benefit to the local area if done right, and whilst yes I want a Theme Park on my doorstep for the same reasons I am on this forum, I do believe it can be a real boon to the region too.

The area is mostly post-industrial wasteland at the moment with not much good to preserve. The Forest Centre have done a wonderful job of remediating the area and pits they've taken over, and I'd really like to see Universal work with them on the park screening to provide something that gives back to nature and provides a safe corridor for wildlife.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I've just realised that public consultation ends on the 3rd May!!! Excuse my French, but they're not p!55!ng around are they?

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I believe I am visiting family in Portsmouth that day so probably not, unless I can make the midweek one.

Um, so anyone else notice the info pack (now 404ing) mentioning 115m max ride height... they're allowed a giga... this obviously doesn't mean they will, but it means they can.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I believe I am visiting family in Portsmouth that day so probably not, unless I can make the midweek one.

Um, so anyone else notice the info pack (now 404ing) mentioning 115m max ride height... they're allowed a giga... this obviously doesn't mean they will, but it means they can.
I didn't notice that, but I downloaded that pack immediately if anybody needs a copy....

Edit: Ahhh... So here...

Screenshot 2024-04-05 160753.jpg

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
@Tonkso here's the new link.... https://universalukproject.co.uk/wp...ersalUKProject.InformationPack.April-2024.pdf

Can't see what the difference is... Other than the fact they removed the '-1' from the file name...

Edit: Found 'em

Page 12: Image title changed from "Major air and train network" to "Major road and train network."

Page 13: "Are there any local paths or cycle routes you most want to see protected?" removed from the pink 'have your say' bubble.

So it seems like it was just changed to tidy the document up a little.

Last edited:

Changa

Mega Poster
Does anyone happen to know who's working on the project (eg: a UK Universal Creative branch)? Just in case their design team might looking for underqualified engineers at the moment 😅.