What's new

Uncertain future for Loudoun Castle? (Coasters up for sale)

A

Anonymous

I am surprised that Parkware/Bembom still own Loudoun.
They have made Loudoun a good attraction but I dont think it will get any better, I have always moaned that their rides are short and gentle, even the Barn Stormer doesn't give the same thrill as Ice Blast (BPB) or Cliffhanger (FL), is it just me or does every ride at Loudoun feel like it is on 'slow' mode.
If you compared the rides at Loudoun today, with the rides Codona had installed, although the park was a mess, The Super Nova, Drop Zone, Wave Swinger, Magic Carpet, Viper Coaster were better/more interesting rides (compared to what is on their sites today).

A few years ago I would never have said this but I can have a much better day out at M&D's than Loudoun. I think it is maybe time for Parkware to give up on Loudoun.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I think it is maybe time for Parkware to give up on Loudoun.

Or take a gamble?

I see what you mean though, it doesn't really seem to be moving in any sort of direction. Its lacking some basic rides which could really enhance the place, like a Boomerang, or MS Spinner.

They even have 2 coasters in storage that could install and promote as new rides!

Gladiator

Mega Poster
Didnt the Twist N Shout used to be the Looper at Dreamland Margate as well was the Inverted Ship? Or is that looper the same design at the old one at Margate.

The inverted ship looks like the ship that was at Margate - The Mary Rose - which Delboy and friends rode in the Jolly Boys Outing Only Fools episode.

Actually, after looking at the pics again, it doesnt look like the Looping Star but the Inverter ship does.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Actually, both of the Looping Stars from Margate made their way to Loudoun, and Twist 'n' Shout is one of them.

A

Anonymous

It would make sense to install the coasters that are in storage, more attractions would be better for Loudoun and it's not as if they have to buy them - they are already there - a bit like owning a car and keeping it in the garage!
I have been watching videos on youtube of Parkware's other parks, Slagharen and OK Corral, it appears that the rides here are operated the same as Loudoun - slow and short! I took a video of the blackpearl cycle a few years ago (on youtube Weber Traumboot) and it last 90 seconds.
Fair enough if they are trying to take care of the rides and prevent wear but this is one way to bore visitors!
It will be interesting to see what happens at Loudoun but I probably wont be visiting this season again.

Enicomb

Mega Poster
I was under the impression, Twist 'n' shout is the the tower of terror from Camelot and the inverting pirate ship is the Excalibur.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Twist 'n' Shout started at Ocean Beach, went to Camelot and then to Margate before it ended up at Loudoun:

http://www.rcdb.com/2374.htm

Just off topic, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't at Ocean Beach in 1986. I went to the park quite often from about age 6 onwards (1986) and it wasn't there then. Yeah, I was really young, but I remember Jetstream being the "big" coaster there, and making a big deal when I saw my first looper, Pepsi Loop, years later.

Martyn B

CF Legend
It looks like their info on it are pretty sketchy anyway, "Operated from 1986 or earlier to 1986 or later", so you're probably right.

Its been absolutely yonks since I last rode it, just hope they dont end up selling before this August!

Hopefully, if it does get sold, it'll stay in this Country, we have a major shortage of Schwartzy's!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Jamie 1001 said:
It would make sense to install the coasters that are in storage, more attractions would be better for Loudoun and it's not as if they have to buy them - they are already there - a bit like owning a car and keeping it in the garage!

I think it's more like having an old, unregistered car in the garage (or in the barn, as we would say over here). The seats are rotten, door hinges creaky, parts missing, no brake fluid, tyres need replacing, rust everwhere and even if you managed to fix it, it still can't exceed 40 and makes a hell of a noise. The rides are outdated and need major refurbishment, a new security certificate, and just putting it up surely costs a bit too (after all, it's the UK, you probably need planning permission to mow your lawn). And even when operating perfectly, it's still boring and rough.

Sometimes, it's just not worth it.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^"One is born every minute..."

Besides, I guess they're just trying to get rid of it. With X amount of work and investment, it will be rideable after all, the way it is now it just takes up storage space. They could scrap it, but if they find a buyer they could at least make some money of it.

Martyn B

CF Legend
They only refurbished the 'Four Man Bob' when Bembom bought the ride about 5 years ago, so it can't be in that much of a bad state.

They should install that coaster, inclose it, turn the trains around and have a 'backwards' dark coaster, Space Invader-ish.

ilikecolons

Roller Poster
parks

i dont think they will be closing but hearing what others think i think they will sell theyr portable rides for park models :shock: