What's new

Two injured on Crazy Frog ride at Blackpool Pier

Emmett

Giga Poster
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 175783.stm

A funfair ride at a Blackpool theme park malfunctioned while it was carrying 15 people, leaving two riders needing hospital treatment.

An arm on the Crazy Frog, at the Central Pier, snapped off just before 2230 BST on Wednesday. Firefighters arrived to find a girl trapped in the carriage attached to the arm that had collapsed. She suffered minor leg injuries, while another woman was hit by a piece of shrapnel from the ride.

The Health and Safety Executive has confirmed that an investigation is under way and officers are currently at the site. Crew manager Mark Warwick, of Lancashire Fire and Rescue, said: "We got the call saying the ride had collapsed and persons reported [trapped] - we feared the worst.
"Fortunately when we arrived it wasn't as bad as first thought and most people had been able to get off the machine. "One girl was a bit stuck but we led her to safety and she received treatment to her leg." Police and ambulance were also in attendance.

tks

Strata Poster
Serves them right for naming it Crazy Frog... What kind of ride was it? I doubt anything major would just "snap off".. Unless it was metal fatigue? :pS

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ I would take a guess that it is one of them 'Jumping Frogs' rides? (Jump & Smile)

Jumpingfrog.jpg

CoasterKing

Mega Poster
I was on that 2 weeks ago. Lucky escape methinks. Funny because my friend stated 'I don't like the look of that it doesn't look safe.'

Ollie

CF Legend
I bet it's not as bad as it sounds. They say snap but it may of just gone slightly. And they said everyone got off ok apart from one who had 'minor' injuries. And Hospital treatment could just be a plaster or even just a check-up to see if everything is ok. It's a shame it happened but I have a feeling the paper is trying to make it sound much worse than it was.
Even the firefighter said it wasn't as bad as they first though it would be.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Yeah, I tend to find most rides are usually in some kind of working order before they break.

Doesn't sound like a huge deal though, really. Obviously, any kind of accident is bad news though.