What's new

Top 5 (or 10) Stomach Dropping Coasters

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
What are your top 10 stomach dropping coasters? I don't have a lot of experience and once I might ride I-305, Apollo's Chariot, Griffon, etc. at the end of the season and also once I visit Dollywood it will look a lot better.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don't get it any more :(

Well, very, very rarely now. One of the problems I found with riding so many coasters is that you tend to lose the feeling. I used to get it on Vekoma Corkscrews even, but now - nada!

Instead, I recognise the different types of forces and my brain automatically over-analyses everything and it's quite depressing.

That's why I liked Expedition GE Force - it was the first coaster for years that actually got me nervous and touched - just slightly - on that old feeling.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
^ That sucks. It is my favorite feeling on a roller coaster! I don't get it on Arrow Corkscrews. Their drops just aren't tall enough to where all i got was a riding in a car feeling. :(

Intricks

Strata Poster
The only ride that really gets me is Millennium Force. First drop still just makes me a little bit too freaked to do no hands still.

Beyond that, nothing really freaks me out. Leviathan and Lex Luthor might, as well as the RMC creations. The rest are a rinse, recycle, repeat to me. :lol:

Martyn B

CF Legend
So by stomach dropping you been buzz/adrenaline rush, yeah?

I mainly get it on Accelerators, Dive Machines, pretty much everytime. As well as Saw's indoor drop, yet I dont get it on the main Eurofighter drops....

Also the first main drop on the Vekoma Corkscrews is quite good, if you're at the back. Plus Superman in Madrid. Oh, and OzIris, I LOVED that first drop towards the back!

Treeis

Mega Poster
The little bunny hope between Colossus's First loop and Cobra roll suprises me. Especially on the back seat, it does actually have quite a plummet-y feeling.

The inside drop of Saw aswell.

Not gonna lie, that awful THING at Gardaland made me feel all stomach-droppy. Sequoia Adventure?

Millennium Force does it cresting that lift. I don't care if I-305 is only 5 feet shorter, Millennium Force's first drop blows it out of the water. Maybe it's the setting, I dunno.

Oblivion and Griffon are up there for that as well, probably Oblivion moreso.

Kebab

Giga Poster
I get it on a few coasters, Im not sure if I enjoy or despise it.

Last ride on Oblivion it was really strong, I never usually get it that bad. Launches (Intamin) hit me without fail, but I found furius baco to be the strongest out of the lot.

I don't really get it on any other coasters, just drop towers and swinging flats.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Martyn B said:
So by stomach dropping you been buzz/adrenaline rush, yeah?
Not really, many people get an almost nauseous feeling in their stomach on tall straight drops (some call it stomach butterflies). This tends not to happen on drops that bend away like on B&M inverts, etc. I'm not sure why.
The feeling goes away after one becomes used to riding coasters & I've never had this feeling that I can remember, but what do you expect from an old fart? :p

Martyn B

CF Legend
That's why I asked the OP, as I thought he could mean something to do with nausea.

If it is that, then the only coaster that makes me want to HURL is X:/NWO!

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Griffon, Millennium Force, Loch Ness Monster, El Toro, Skyrush.. those are the top ones I can think of offhand from what I've done. Interestingly enough I don't really get this feeling from B&M hypers despite the long drops.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
I never get that ballbag in your mouth feeling on coasters. Its a shame, because it's a different kind of excitement that I'm missing out on.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
#1 Iron Dragon in the very back.

There is an awkward pre-drop that goes straight into the drop, meaning the train gains plenty of speed headed into the first hill.

It create a really quick, intense pop of airtime that I still consider one of the top out there.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Millennium Force and I305 come to mind. MF far over I305. Titan @ SFOT, El Toro, and Nitro are others. One you might not think is the 3rd drop on Cannonball Run@ Waterville USA, pretty intense airtime! Maybe because I just rode it :| .

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
I've no idea why, but the tiny drop out of Nemesis Inferno's station really gets me. Saw's indoor drop usually works too.