What's new

Top 15 Must Do American Parks?

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Ben, this is not the place to be mincing about your own trips.

This is Jordan's topic, so let's keep it about her trip thanks.

marc

CF Legend
Jordan I do agree that you need a car. We were going to do California using the bus until I spoke to people who said the buses were bad. It still took hours to get around thanks to the traffic but at least we did not wait around for buses and have to change, cabs also cost a lot out there.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
There is something about driving around America as well, especially as so much of their infrastructure is built around roads and highways. Even their bank machines are drive-thru, which even I as a fan of drive-thru Maccy D's find ridiculous, but quintessentially American. And as daft as it was, in the end I loved it for 2 weeks.

Ian would testify that our trip on '07 wouldn't have been the same (or even happened at all) without a car.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I will definitely be getting a car, and looking at the parks on Google Maps (not the most reliable of sources but reliable enough for rough planning), alot of the parks are well within driving distance of each other. My plan was to start in Massachusetts (I can't remember what park was there but there was one), drive down and do all the parks on to SFOG. Leave the car there (I know you can rent cars and drop them places can't you?)

Then maybe get a train or plane to Dollywood, and from there pick up another hire car and drive back up to Cedar Point, again doing the parks along the way, that are a bit further out west from the east coast. From what Google Maps says, the longest drive I'll have between two parks is 5 hours and I've driven further than that for trips in England.

Then from Cedar Point I'll get another plane over to California to do Disneyland and SFMM, then go home.

Money really is no object as hopefully I'll still have some of my loan left and plus I've already started putting money away for this trip (plus I'm not meaning to brag but my parents are quite well off and I've already started to arrange this with them). After Uni will be the only time in my life when I can get away with a trip as extravagant as this so I'd rather go all out and enjoy it rather than budget it and do it in a few separate trips.

I do realise what a massive trip this is going to be, which is why I've allocated one month and which is why I've started to plan it now. This is going to sound quite noobish but I've done 5 two week trips to Florida where we do nothing but theme parks every day, getting up at 7am. I'm quite aware of how intense and tiring these trips can be.

I also will not be going it alone, either my dad or Ali (if I'm still with him then) have agreed to come with me so I'm not going to be some clueless little girl in the great big USA =]

marc

CF Legend
Jordan some advice dont plan a drive using google lol. I looked at this for California and informed someone else that was staying there that SFMM was about an hour from where she was staying, when she planned it properly it was 4 hours drive.

The distance between parks in some cases is miles and the maps just dont reflect it at all, god knows what scale they use.

Ben

CF Legend
The only thing I would say is that Dollywood - SFoG is 150 miles as the crow flies, so, probably worth just driving :p Especially as it's north of SFoG, so sort of "on the way" to Cedar Point, but to the east.

nadroJ

CF Legend
southend_marc said:
The distance between parks in some cases is miles and the maps just dont reflect it at all, god knows what scale they use.

Yeah, Marc I had noticied that before it can be really inaccurate, just helps me place where the parks are in my mind a bit more. When it actually comes to properly route-planning the trip I'll be using something much more reliable.

Ben said:
sort of "on the way" to Cedar Point, but to the east.

Yh, the way I'm planning to do it is to drive south from Massachusetts then back up from SFOG to Cedar Point, sort of in a big 'U' shape. It seems more practical rather than zig-zagging my way south.

marc

CF Legend
I can not wait to do this type of trip, its something I have always wanted to do.

You will have a great time thats for sure.

nadroJ

CF Legend
southend_marc said:

Yeah, Marc I had noticied that before it can be really inaccurate, just helps me place where the parks are in my mind a bit more. When it actually comes to properly route-planning the trip I'll be using something much more reliable.

Ben said:
sort of "on the way" to Cedar Point, but to the east.

Yh, the way I'm planning to do it is to drive south from Massachusetts then back up from SFOG to Cedar Point, sort of in a big 'U' shape. It seems more practical rather than zig-zagging my way south.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^Yeah, driving seems the best and easiest way to do it, like you say, you're more in control over things. I only thought of getting a train from SFOG just because it's so far but I'm sure it shouldn't be too much to handle.

I appreciate the feedback guys it's really helping me.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
You mentioned renting a car nadro, how old is your oldest member of your party?

nadroJ

CF Legend
Over 40, I'll only be 23 when I go out there, I wasn't sure about being able to rent a car myself at that age.

Personally I'd definitely go for the east coast, that way you get to hit a few of the great Cedar Fair parks along with one of the best Six Flags parks at the same time. These are some parks you'd get on the East-

Cedar Point
Kings Island
Hershey
Dorney
Great Adventure
SFKK
Busch
Carowinds
Dollywood
Busch Gardens Europe

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
nadroJ said:
Over 40, I'll only be 23 when I go out there, I wasn't sure about being able to rent a car myself at that age.
Yup, exactly.

You'll be fine then.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Ok young lady, it's time to listen to the old man (who has done more of these trips than anyone else - including UC). I grew up in Europe (Germany & Ireland) and know the differences between the continent & the U.S all too well. I've traveled from Munich all the way to Greece to Turkey to Egypt to Morocco to Spain to France & back to Munich on a moped when I was 16 years old. I've traveled from NYC to Atlanta & back hitting every park along the way. I make multiple trips from NYC to CP & back every year, hitting up parks along the way. I travel to Canada & back multiple times a year. Not to mention my annual two week ski trips where I go to a different resorts (in multiple states) every day. In other words - I won't give your anything but proper advice.
As many have stated, a rental car is the only way to go. I don't understand why you need to have someone older with you because I was renting cars here in the U.S at 23 years old without a problem, it will just cost less to have a more experienced driver rent it for you (but money isn't a problem, right?). And driving over here is a breeze compared to Europe (less traffic and wider streets). It will also cost less when renting a car for longer periods of time (compared to daily rates) & you can get a GPS with your rental (a must). Drive the car everywhere except your flight to Los Angeles (rent another car there).
Since your are planning on staying a month, that will give you plenty of time to do the parks and take a day off here & there to see some of the country. Plus you will be able to do the East Coast, Midwest & Los Angeles (but I won't recommend trying to squeeze in Texas as well - save it for next time).
Here is the itinerary you should consider (added an extra day in case of unforeseen circumstances - as UC mentioned):
Day 1 - Fly to Chicago
Day 2 - Buy a Six Flags season pass & do Six Flags Great America
Day 3 - Drive to Cedar Point, buy a Cedar Fair Platinum Season Pass & do Cedar Point at night.
Day 4 - Do Cedar Point & drive to Columbus, OH
Day 5 - Do Kings Island & drive to Louisville, KY
Day 6 - Drive to & do Holiday World (spend another night in Louisville, KY)
Day 7 - Drive to Knoxville, TN (rest day)
Day 8 - Do Dollywood
Day 9 - Drive to & do sightseeing in Atlanta
Day 10 - Do Six Flags Over Georgia
Day 11 - Drive to Charlotte, NC & do Carowinds
Day 12 - Drive to Williamsburg, VA & do Busch Gardens at night
Day 13 - Do Busch Gardens & drive (1 hour) to Ashland, VA
Day 14 - Do Kings Dominion & drive to Washington DC
Day 15 - Do sightseeing in Washington DC (do Six Flags America if you're a coaster whore)
Day 16 - Drive to Philadelphia & do sightseeing
Day 17 - Drive to & do Six Flags Great Adventure, dive to NYC
Day 18 - Do sightseeing in NYC & ride Cyclone (do Rye if you're a whore)
Day 19 - Drive to Boston & do sightseeing
Day 20 - Do Six Flags New England & Lake Compounce (a must)
Day 21 - Drive to & do Dorney Park, drive to & do Knoebels, drive to Hershey, PA
Day 22 - Do Hersheypark & drive to Pittsburgh
Day 23 - Do Kennywood, drive to & do Waldameer (a must)
Day 24 - Drive to Niagara Falls & sightsee, drive to Toronto
Day 25 - Do Canada's Wonderland
--- (extra day can be used anytime up until now)
Day 27 - Fly to & do sightseeing in Los Angeles
Day 28 - Do Disneyland & Disney's California Adventure
Day 29 - Do Six Flags Magic Mountain
Day 30 - Do Knott's Berry Farm & Pacific Park & more sightseeing
Day 31 - Fly home
* You get free entry last 3 hours at Hersheypark if you purchase a ticket for the following day. Only do this if you're ready to leave Knoebels, but skip it if you love the park as much as Ben.

You can squeeze days 11-13 into two days if need be. After Carowinds drive to Richmond, VA to spend the night & do Busch Gardens the next day. Driving from Atlanta to Richmond with a stop at Carowinds along the way will be a very long day, but I have done it twice. :wink:
Paying for two full days at Busch Gardens and only getting a day & a half sounds crazy, but I think it's worth it because the park is amazing. I do it all the time, but then I have a season pass.

As you can see, there's plenty of days off from parks sightseeing in cities that have plenty to see. Atlanta is The South, Washington DC is beautiful, Philadelphia is historic & edgy (South Street), NYC is the capitol of the world, Boston is dope, Niagara Falls is gorgeous & Los Angeles is Hollywood baby!

There are a few double park days in there, but all are a must.
SFNE isn't a full day park & Lake Compounce is only an hour away. Plus Lake Compounce offers reduced after 5pm tickets & you're only there to whore Boulder Dash (especially at night!). Lake Compounce is a very small park & you can ride all the other rides in a hour.
Dorney Park is on the way to Knoebels & is a small park. You can ride all the coasters & be on the way to Knoebels by noon. Knoebels is also a small park & having most of the afternoon/evening should be enough time to take everything in. The parks are just over an hour apart (75 minutes or so).
Waldameer is 90 minutes from Kennywood & there are only four rides, but one of them if Ravine Flyer II. You can get your fill of Kennywood before 5pm & make it to Waldameer by 7:30pm. The rides at Waldy are ticket based (no park enrty fee) & the drop tower (although small) is one of the very best. So ride Comet & Dragon once, then whore RFII & the drop tower until closing time. RFII is da bomb at night!
Knott's is not a full day park & Pacific Park is just a coaster & Ferris wheel on the Santa Monica pier, so no problem doing both & then some in a day.

The Six Flags season pass will get you into every Six Flags park and you'll need the Cedar Fair pass for Cedar Point, Kings Island, Kings Dominion, Dorney Park & Knott's Berry Farm. So you'll save a ton of money buying both those passes. Make sure you get the platinum passes for all parks, which cost a bit more than the single park passes.

So there you go. The trip of a lifetime all mapped out for you. Look it over & let me know what you think. :--D

P.S. - Sorry for not keeping it to 15 parks. :p

marc

CF Legend
Only problem is people in the UK and Europe can not longer buy a Six Flag season pass, well I could not last year :(

We can not buy Cedar Fair ones either :(

Unless they have changed it again for this year.

marc

CF Legend
You had to give a US or Canadian zip code and of course I did not have one. Unless someone can get them for us we can not longer get it which straight away makes trips a lot more expensive.

The only offer we could use was 2 for 1 or web discount, and even then Knotts were a bit funny with us when we tried getting in using the e-ticket.

As I said maybe its changed again this year I have not looked.