6: Manta - Sea World Orlando
7: Kumba - Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
8: Space Mountain - Magic Kingdom
9: Expetition Everest - Animal Kingdom
10: Sheikra - Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
=10: Nemesis - Alton Towers

oryp

Roller Poster
Just got back from SFGAdv, SFNE, and Coney Island. Unfortunately, I couldn't get to Lake Compounce to ride Boulder Dash. Here's my current list, although El Toro will probably move up. The more I think about it, the more I realize just how amazing it is.

1. I305
2. Maverick
3. El Toro
4. Bizarro (SFNE)
5. Millennium Force
6. Nitro
7. Lightning Racer
8. Afterburn
9. Goliath (SFoG)'
10. Alpengeist

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Post Canada's Wonderland Pre Port Aventura list

(1 Taxi Jam - Kings Dominion)
1) Phoenix - Knoebels
2) Skyrush - Hershey
3) Leviathan - Canada's Wonderland
4) Griffon - Busch Gardens Williamsburg (Europe)
5) Leap The Dips - Lakemont Park
6) Alpengeist - Busch Gardens Europe
7) Space Mountain - Magic Kingdom (WDW)
8) Behemoth - Canada's Wonderland
9) Vortex - Canada's Wonderland
10) Fahrenheit - Hersheypark

Knocked from previous top 10

Great Bear - Hersheypark
Apollo's Chariot - Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Matterhorn Bobsleds - Disneyland (Tomorrowland side)

Jer

Strata Poster
After much consideration I changed my top 10 around again.

1. Skyrush - Hershey Park
2. Phoenix - Knoebels
3. Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
4. El Toro - SFGAdv
5. Bizzaro - SFNE
6. Nitro - SFGAdv
7. Storm Runner - Hershey
8. Talon - Dorney Park
9. Fahrenhit - Hershey
10. Wooden Warrior - Quassy

Jer

Strata Poster
The restraints are a little awkward, but comfortable. That small woodie is surprisingly powerful and a blast to ride. I think the reason it belongs at 10 is because of how much fun it is, and the pure shock of the airtime back row both me and Kim got.

andrus

Giga Poster
Jer said:

2. Phoenix - Knoebels
4. El Toro - SFGAdv
5. Bizzaro - SFNE
6. Nitro - SFGAdv
8. Talon - Dorney Park
9. Fahrenhit - Hershey
It's great to see some more love for Skyrush! :--D It would actually surprice me if it doesn't make the number one spot on Mitch Hawker next year.

steel

Mega Poster
1. Millennium Force, Cedar Point
2. Beast, Kings Island
3. Griffon, Busch Gardens Williamsburg
4. Prowler, Worlds of Fun
5. Nemesis, Alton Towers
6. Voyage, Holiday World
7. Intimidator, Carowinds
8. Diamondback, Kings Island
9. Oblivion, Alton Towers
10. Raven, Holiday World

11. Patriot, Worlds of Fun
12. Apollo's Chariot, Busch Gardens Williamsburg
13. Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point
14. Afterburn, Carowinds
15. Renegade, Valleyfair
16. Powder Keg, Silver Dollar City
17. X-Flight, Six Flags Great America
18. Stealth, Thorpe Park
19. Swarm, Thorpe Park
20. Hades, Mt. Olympus

Or something like that.

andrus

Giga Poster
bergochdalbana said:
^ Speaking of the Mitch Hawker poll, have there even been a 2011 steel poll, or have I missed that one completely.
I know there was a wooden poll. But now when you mention it I don't think there has been a 2011 steel poll.. :?

nadroJ

CF Legend
^I was searching for it the other day, and I couldn't find anything about the 2011 steel poll, so I'm going to go with no, they haven't done one yet ;]

Snoo

The Legend
That would be a shame as well. We all loved Mitch and if his polls have died.. would be a real shame.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
andrus said:
Jer said:

2. Phoenix - Knoebels
4. El Toro - SFGAdv
5. Bizzaro - SFNE
6. Nitro - SFGAdv
8. Talon - Dorney Park
9. Fahrenhit - Hershey
It's great to see some more love for Skyrush! :--D It would actually surprice me if it doesn't make the number one spot on Mitch Hawker next year.

Same. With all the original woe about restraints I figured everyone would hate it/not rate it highly. Glad it's getting some love indeed!

Noob question I know, what exactly is Mitch Hawker? I know it, seen it, but have no idea how it works...though a few have said they think it's more accurate/better than the Golden Tickets.
There is no steel 2011. I looked, I was curious about I305 since it outranked MF in the '10 one.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Anywho, I'm hoping to knock 4 coasters off my to do list this season, and expect them all to make my top 10 if not higher, so I can finally not have such a crappy list!

Random question: I dont live far from Brooklyn, and have never been on the Coney Island Cyclone.
One of the most famous coasters and I need to ride it, but would anyone say its worth doing ASAP or no real rush?
Esp since I believe/hear the area is not the best. :(

oryp

Roller Poster
I just rode the Cyclone a few days ago. It was fun, and it's something every enthusiast has to do at some point, but the $8 they charge is ridiculous. It'll be around for a long time, so there's no huge rush. However, it might be wise to get over there and ride it before the price goes up even more :p. Also, the surrounding area isn't too bad, and the boardwalk is alright. If you go, you have to get a hot dog at the original Nathan's.

I've been thinking more about my top 10, so here's my updated list (still subject to major change):
1. El Toro (+2)
2. I305 (-1)
3. Maverick(-1)
4. Bizarro (SFNE)
5. Millennium Force
6. Nitro
7. Phoenix
8. Lightning Racer
9. Afterburn
10. Goliath (SFoG)

I still can't decide if I like Afterburn or Alpengeist better.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
JJLehto said:
Noob question I know, what exactly is Mitch Hawker? I know it, seen it, but have no idea how it works...though a few have said they think it's more accurate/better than the Golden Tickets.

I've done floating turds that have more accuracy than the golden tickets - an event sponsored by the people who win the golden tickets - odd that...

Mitch Hawker's poll is an opportunity for everyone not to vote, but to allow an analysis of everyone's coasters and compare them.

I don't know the exact algorithm, but essentially if there was three of us in the poll and w ordered the three coasters we've been on as follows:
Me : 1. Skyrush, 2. I305, 3. Millennium Force
You: 1. Millennium Force, 2. Skyrush, 3. I305
Bob: 1. Leviathan, 2. Skyrush, 3. Millennium Force

What the poll does isn't just say "It's a tie with three 1st places". Or "1st place is worth 10 points, 2nd 8 and 3rd 5" (which would mean you're not getting a true reflection for rides that aren't well ridden, Millennium force and Skyrush with 3 votes compared to LEviathan with just one as fewer people have ridden Leviathan).

What it does is a comparative vote depending on what you've ridden and what order you've put them into.

So Skyrush was voted higher than Millennium Force twice and once lower - so it gets a score of +1 against Millennium Force -1.
Skyrush is higher than I305 twice and never lower, so Skyrush is +2 and I305 -2
Skyrush is once lower than Leviathan, so it's -1 and +1 to Leviathan.

And so on and so on for every single ride everyone has ever ridden. It's incredibly complex, but it means that it doesn't matter how many people have been on a ride, but how many people like that ride compared to the others they've been on. You find that the larger a person's count, the more well rounded the position of a ride.

The poll is open to everybody, not just people who are paid for by the parks/manufacturers and it's worldwide, whereas the golden tickets are US based.

It's not 100% accurate and it is open to a degree of abuse if people have been on an obscure coaster that they rank above all others (above, Leviathan ends up joint winner with Skyrush, even though only one person has been on the ride - it's like that only larger scale). However, it doesn't happen often.

Hope that helps anyway. It's always a good indicator of how good rides are - as long as you use it as a guideline rather than an absolute.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Well I never really took much for the Golden Ticket because I had no idea where it was coming from, and those "in the know" scoff at it.

Ironically Mitch Hawker sounds like some dude with a computer who has a poll and you vote, though it seems 9001 times more complicated than that!
Thanks for the analysis. Shame results aren't out for 2011 steel.

Thanks for the Cyclone tips!
Yeah, people always gripe about the "area" but what I know Brooklyn as a whole isn't that bad...and it's being slowly overrun by hipsters anyway haha
Yeah I feel too bad being that close and not going. $8 per ride?? Hell I may have to go soon and just do it then!

kimahri

CF Legend
For me, after america and a lot of though.

1: Phoenix
2: Skyrush
3: Bizarro, NE
4: Oblivion
5: Nemesis
6: OziRis
7: Something
8: Another coaster here
9: Can't be arsed to do anymore
10: Bored now.

Status
Not open for further replies.