What's new

Top 10: 2009 Edition

^ Pretty nice top ten there, Furie! Though I still disagree with Toro "dying" near the end :p .
Must've been hard to try and fit fifty new coasters somewhere in your rankings, eh?

This is my top ten right now, I kind of moved things up/down a few spots, so now I have a set top ten. I also think I'll probably have two or three new top tens this week though, so I wanna see how things change.

Top five remains the same though, but I finally picked a set 6-10..

1. Toro
2. Maverick
3. Dragster
4. Ka
5. Shivering Timbers
6. Behemoth
7. B:tR
8. Nitro
9. Millennium
10. Dominator

I have a feeling Diamondback will be either above/below Behemoth, with Voyage probably replacing my 5th spot (dunno if I'd be able to move Dragster and Ka outta there purely for their exceptional launches), but this is just a guess. I wonder if Rumbler and Raven will make it in there.

Brookes

Giga Poster
So after sitting here for about half an hour trying to figure out my top 10, giving a balanced view on all the coasters I've ridden, unbiased as I haven't been to a park for a while, trying to figure which I had the most fun on, which gives the most force and most of all, which I had the best experience on. So, I finally came up with what is now, my set top 10:

1. Montu
2. Kumba
3. Nemesis
4. Kraken
5. Expedition Everest
6. Incredible Hulk
7. Nemesis Inferno
8. SheiKra
9. Colossus
10. Silver Star

I realised that I didn't actually enjoy some of the stuff from Florida that much, and just put them there because I just got back and the size of the coasters etc. But now I realise it is more than that, and I need to rate on the enjoyment and experience I had on the ride, which is how it is now. I went through all the coasters I thought had potential to be in my top 10, and how I felt after them, and how good they were in terms of having a great experience. I am happy with my top 10 now, and I think Saw might make it in there somewhere when I ride it in a couple of months.

^ Yeah, doing it based on enjoyment of experience is a good thing to do, which is why I don't think Dragster or Ka will leave my top ten, or five even, anytime soon. People say they're one trick ponies, but the experience of just the launch itself is incredible enough that they've certainly earned their spot there.

Brookes

Giga Poster
^Yeah I agree, I realise now the best way, in my opinion, to rate rides is your enjoyment on them and the experience. Before I went on Hulk and Duelling Dragons, I thought they would be brilliant just because of their size and layouts, and I had hardly rode anything like them before. Then without even thinking about it just put them in my top 10 when I got back because I thought they were better because of their length and layouts. But now thinking about it, I didn't really enjoy them that much, and realise I enjoyed rides at Thorpe for example much more, which has taught me to rate on more than just the size or the length. It's the experience you personally have on them for me.

Snoo

The Legend
LFTL said:
I have a feeling Diamondback will be either above/below Behemoth, with Voyage probably replacing my 5th spot (dunno if I'd be able to move Dragster and Ka outta there purely for their exceptional launches), but this is just a guess. I wonder if Rumbler and Raven will make it in there.

You need to ride them more.. won't be as fun. Also.. depending on how much you love Toro.. I can honestly see Voyage sliding up there pretty high tbh. That all depends on what you like, ect ect. That's just me I guess.

^ Yah but, people say that to me all the time.. If I go on Ka and Dragster more, I won't like them as much, but knowing that, why would I purposely ride them so much that the effect would wear off? I won't, because first of all, I live eleven hours from Ka, and because I ride Dragster like.. Twice a year, so it's not a problem for me.

I love Toro, and I can't see Voyage beating it really.. I love how smooth Toro is and stuff. But, you never know, it could beat out Maverick? Five more days and we will know!

Snoo

The Legend
^Who said it would be on purpose? All I'm say is if you rode it a lot, that 'magic' wouldn't be there. Same thing happened for me and MF (you can kinda attest to that).

TTD still is pretty good tho.. as it is still in my Top 10. ;)

Voyage will surprise as long as you can take the beating. It isn't smooth.. but it is nice and sexy. But, I'll wait until you ride it to tell you how to think. :p

valleyfair!

Hyper Poster
Heading out to California in eleven days so those parks will definitely change what I got. My current is:
1- El Toro
2- Maverick
3- Fahrenheit
4- Storm Runner
5- Kingda Ka
6- Top Thrill Dragster
7- SheiKra
8- Montu
9- Talon
10- Millennium Force

Expecting a few coasters after my trip to definitely break that list.

^Who said it would be on purpose? All I'm say is if you rode it a lot, that 'magic' wouldn't be there. Same thing happened for me and MF (you can kinda attest to that).

What I meant was, I've heard enough that if I ride it a lot I won't like it as much.. So I'm gonna purposely not ride it a lot just so it doesn't take the magic away from it :p . I mean, you know I'm still pretty thrilled by it.. Haha.

I don't mind rough coasters (EXCEPT WILD BEAST- burn it down, now), so I should be fine with Voyage.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
furie said:
1. Boulder Dash.
2. El Toro.
3. Dragon Khan.
4. Bizarro (SFNE).
5. Megafobia.
6. Alpengeist.
7. Lightning Racer
8. Griffon.
9. Nemesis
10. Oblivion

I'm trying to mix up quality here, with fun, impact and re-rideability.
Six of your Top 10 in one week, so it looks like your visit was worth putting up with me. :p
Glad you worked it out & you know I agree with your logic, but I'm a little surprised that Lightning Racer made it up to spot 7 (would have thought it would just get in at #10). It's such a fun coaster, but just doesn't fit in my Top 10. I pick mine on which coaster I would like to re-ride right now if I could. Simple as.

Error

Strata Poster
Error said:
Top Ten as of now:

1. Maverick
2. Ravine Flyer II
3. Goliath (SFoG)
4. Magnum XL-200
5. Shivering Timbers
6. Millennium Force
7. Great American Scream Machine (SFoG)
8. Georgia Scorcher
9. Raptor
10. Batman The Ride (SFoG)

Here's what's changed after SFGAm:

Top Ten as of now:

1. Maverick
2. Ravine Flyer II
3. Goliath (SFoG)
4. Magnum XL-200
5. Shivering Timbers
6. Millennium Force
7. Batman The Ride
8. Great American Scream Machine (SFoG)
9. Georgia Scorcher
10. Raptor

Hopefully more of a change next week.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
East Coast(er) General said:
Six of your Top 10 in one week, so it looks like your visit was worth putting up with me. :p

*You'd think so, wouldn't you? ;) :p

East Coast(er) General said:
Glad you worked it out & you know I agree with your logic, but I'm a little surprised that Lightning Racer made it up to spot 7 (would have thought it would just get in at #10). It's such a fun coaster, but just doesn't fit in my Top 10. I pick mine on which coaster I would like to re-ride right now if I could. Simple as.

It's why Balder is waning for me. If somebody said Liseberg was losing Balder and Lisebergbanan - I'd be really sorry to see Lisebergbanan go, but I'd just say "fair enough, I rode Balder, it was good but there are better out there".

Lightning Racer rates so highly because the world would be a much duller place without it. You know it was the one ride I rode over and over - and you probably got the impression I don't do much in the way of re-rides. If I could transport six coasters from that trip over here - they are the ones I'd pick and in that kind of order. :)

*Of course, the new six are incidental to the reason for the trip

A

Anonymous

As of not riding any coasters this year (yet), here's my top 10.

1. Titan
2. Griffon
3. Sheikra
4. Revenge of the Mummy
5. Goliath (SFoG)
6. Montu
7. Mr. Freeze
8. Apollo's Chariot
9. DD - Fire
10. Alpengeist

I'm going to Sea World Orlando and Dollywood this summer so my 10 might change soon.

Kay so, new top ten for me!

1. Toro
2. Voyage
3. Maverick
4. TTD/Ka
5. Timbers
6. Diamondback
7. Behemoth
8. Beast
9. Nitro
10. B:tR

Rumbler didn't make it into the top ten.. It's like #13-ish.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Boulder Dash could be your number one by a million miles Taylor! Go! Now! Don't post again until you've been! ;)

Snoo

The Legend
NEW TOP!! I got plenty of movement on top of additions, very surprising additions! Additions are bolded, movement is underlined.. cuz im bored.

1 Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
2 El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
3 Maverick - Cedar Point
4 Bizarro - Six Flags New England
5 Voyage - Holiday World
6 Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer
7 X2 - Six Flags Magic Mountain
8 Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point
9 Diamondback - Kings Island
10 Cornball Express - Indiana Beach

11 Alpengeist - Busch Gardens Europe
12 Montu - Busch Gardens Africa

13 Tatsu - Six Flags Magic Mountain
14 Phantom's Revenge - Kennywood
15 Griffon/SheiKra - BGE/BGA
16 Goliath - Six Flags over Georgia
17 Talon - Dorney Park
18 Phoenix - Knoebels
19 Batman: The Ride - Six Flags Magic Mountain
20 Kumba - Busch Gardens Africa
21 Thunderbolt - Kennywood
22 Batman The Ride - Six Flags over Georgia
23 Millennium Force - Cedar Point
24 Dominator - Geauga Lake
25 Georgia Scorcher - Six Flags over Georgia

So, apparently, Diamondback lived up to the Behemoth hype.. the airtime is delicious, with strong floater up front and ejector.. yes.. ejector. Awesome ride.

Cornball Express was the biggest shock I've been on since Boulder Dash. I heard it was ok, not bad, but not something that would blow me away. A few rides later, I was in airtime heaven.. holy hell awesome. Buzz bars plus a loose seat belt in the front row.. hell any row.. gives a fantastic ride. Amazing.

Ben

CF Legend
SnooSnoo said:
So, apparently, Diamondback lived up to the Behemoth hype.. the airtime is delicious, with strong floater up front and ejector.. yes.. ejector. Awesome ride.

I did tell you Behemoth is awesome :wink:

Snoo

The Legend
I was highly surprised Ben. After I few rides, I did think "Ben wasn't lieing.."

Good man. :)

^ YAH, sometimes you should trust our word.. Me and Benny are always right <3

I'm still shocked Rumbler is down in like.. The 40's though, same with Ka!

Snoo

The Legend
The thing I like most is great airtime, more so ejector then floater, but if it gives great floater (DBack) it is acceptable. I also throw in the fun factor, which is where TTD type rides comes out to play (Layouts, setting, interaction.. ect ect).

So, if you look at my top rides, they either have amazing airtime (IMO of course) or are incredibly fun for me.

Rumbler didn't have either. It was interesting, decent layout, and smooth.. but it had almost no airtime and it wasn't really too fun (the fact that we were alone didn't help).

There ya go. :p