Would you pull the lever?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CMonster

Giga Poster
What would you do if the five people were the biggest benefactors or philanthropists (sp?), ect. in the world? And the forty were ordinary Joe's?

Slash

Giga Poster
The thing is, if you pull that lever its sorta your fault for their deaths in the laws eyes isnt it?

Of course other than that i'd love to play God.

Sam

Giga Poster
I'd go and take a dump and think up more silly life scenarios to take home and post on a roller coaster forum.

jokerman

Giga Poster
^You're missing the point. As furie pointed out, this isn't about thinking of ways around the problem, it's about answering the question from the possible options in a philosophical kind of way.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Addition to this then (this is an official add on)...

Same scenario. Train out of control will hit 30 people...

You're stood on a bridge and see it happen. There's a fat man by you and you know if you throw him off the bridge, it will derail the train and save the 30 people.

For those who would have pulled the lever, would you chuck the fat man onto the track to save the 30 people?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^I think here the main question is how many people are on the train...

There's at least 1 on there (driver), but how many others would die should the fat man (which made me laugh) derail it?

A-Kid

Giga Poster
'Let fate decide' and not get involved. Could end up making the situation worse. If the 30 people arn't Heather Mills, they can peg it or move out the way. If one is, then...well...splat.

Thats my answer.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The train is an automated cargo train - hence the reason it won't stop ;)

A-Kid brings up an interesting twist. If one of the thirty, or the fat man, is somebody you knew (and liked) - would it affect your decision?

jokerman

Giga Poster
Yes. I think I would regret killing the fat bloke at a later date, but if someone I cared about was on the tracks, I think I would.

This is assuming that the man is light enough to lift up over the railings of the bridge, which I doubt...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Low wall, easy to push him over... FFS - stop trying to find loopholes - it's a simple thing, really :roll: :p

jokerman

Giga Poster
^I don't think health and safety will be very happy with your bridge having such a low wall. :wink:

Anyway, I was being silly. I gave a real answer to start with.