What's new

Tick the Box if You Didn't Know This Word Was an Americanism

Tick if you didn't know it was an Americanism.

• Rollercoaster (Gravitational railroad)

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Couch (Settee)

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Apartment (Flat)

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Americanizm (Americansim)

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • 24/7

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Airplane (Aeroplane)

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • One on One (One to One)

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Billion (A thousand million)

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • British English (Standard English)

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Price tag (Label)

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Raincoat (Mackintosh)

• Raisin (Sultana)

• Squash (Marrow)

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

Pingu on drugs

Roller Poster
Re: Tick the Box if You Didn't Know This Word Was an America

actually that's quite interesting - especially Billion and Raincoat!

jayjay

Giga Poster

Didn't know roller coaster was an Americanism. But I don't think gravitational railroad would have stayed around much if the Americans hadn't come up with something first.

On the subject of raisins (from Wikipedia) not exactly an Americanism.

In the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada the word "raisin" is reserved for the dried large dark grape, with "sultana" being a dried large white grape

Josh73

Giga Poster

Exept I knew the roller coaster thing. [/tryingtobeagoodenthusiast]

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

Strangest topic ever :S Yea sorry no interest in voting

Ben

CF Legend

If Americans come up with a word for something where there wasn't one, it isn't an Americanism.

A Gravitational Railroad and a Rollercoaster are two different things. The Rollercoaster evolved from the Railroad, but, that doesn't make them the same thing. Unless human is the "americanism" for monkey.

And yeah, a sultana is totally different to a raisin, and if you go into Tesco, you'll find them both side by side.

But, yeah, I knew all of those. Aren't I clever?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

A squash is also different from a marrow. A marrow is part of the squash family, along with courgettes, pumpkins, etc. Using the word squash for marrow is (to use Ben's example) like saying the Americanism of Human is Ape.

I like this game, which if these are Americanisms?
Faucet (tap)
Skillet (frying pan)
Aluminum (aluminium)
Pacifier (dummy)
Diaper (nappy)
Broil (grill)

Pierre

Strata Poster

Pacifiers always been one thats pissed me off.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

"Stroller" pisses me off. It's a chair you push, hence "pushchair". A stroller is somebody who walks gaily in the sunshine, tipping their hat to old ladies as they pass.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Pierre said:
Pacifiers always been one thats pissed me off.

That's the one I can't find out where if it's the Americans who are right or us. In terms of etymology, the word far pre-dates the word dummy; but not in the context of stopping babies from crying.

The word dummy comes from the word dumb, and is a relatively late word used in the context of "a stupid person". However, it's obvious that dummy in the context of "shutting a baby up" also comes from the root word dumb. That is later than the use of the word pacifier though, even though the original word is Germanic/Saxon

Dummies have been around for thousands of years, originally made out of wood. Who knows if the term "dumb" came from the actual dummy?

In terms of who is right or wrong, there's no real evidence either way, but pacifier is a more generic term applied to a device, where as dummy is a very specific term for a specific item. It's a bit like the difference between calling something a vacuum cleaner or a Hoover/Dyson/Whatever. Therefore, I'd say that dummy is a much more specific word, and therefore the correct one - but that's just me :)

Will

Strata Poster

Ian said:
"Stroller" pisses me off. It's a chair you push, hence "pushchair". A stroller is somebody who walks gaily in the sunshine, tipping their hat to old ladies as they pass.
But neither of those words is as irritating as BUGGY!

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster

As someone who does a lot of cooking to broil something is vastly different from grilling something.

Jake

Strata Poster

What an awful thread. Most of the list is just... wrong.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Bottom_Feeder_13 said:
As someone who does a lot of cooking to broil something is vastly different from grilling something.

Exactly... In the UK, grilling is when you put an item under a flame, what is known as broiling in the US.

I don't know what our equivalent of your grilling is, I could look it up but I'm lazy today.