What's new

ThunderCoaster 2.0 - Tusenfryd

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Ahhh apologies. Didn't see this topic. Thanks Jerry.

None of the 3 Vekomas have a smooth ride in my opinion, although this is the best of the three. I think (and again, just my opinion) that the cars somehow move back and forward into each other (that's the best way I can think to describe it). The only Timberliners I've been on are Twister and that was silky smooth.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
I like Timberliners, they are awesome on Twister, and my second favorite wooden coaster train. Hopefully they will do a better job than Mt. Olympus integrating them. I think it is strongly up to the standard of track how tight they can adjust the wheel boogies.

It should also take away a lot from loading times, since they had to double check the Vekoma trains.

ECG said:
I don't think that's the case with Thunder Coaster at all. It doesn't "suffer from rattling and a poor ride". Timberliners also don't necessarily make for a good ride (i.e. Hades 360 or The Voyage).

It may be smooth in the years when it have been re-tracked, but the trains are far from ideal for the ride, they simply tear it apart way to fast compared to more modern trains, and that's probably what Tusenfryd is hoping to adress.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
TusenFryd just posted this picture on Facebook...

11045376_10152746828642549_4225597468173185164_n.jpg

When something new comes in, something old must go out...

A comment asked "What happens to the old trains? Will they be scrapped, kept as a memory, or sold?"
The answer from the page: "That's not determined quite yet".

Pretty much confirming that the ride will get new trains, if that wasn't clear enough already. I tried asking who'd supply the new trains, but didn't get any answers.

KasperS

Roller Poster
Why has no one posted the pics of the timberliners. On tusenfryd`s facebookpage have they posted the pics of the green set on the track. they havent posted the red set yet!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
^Why haven't YOU posted them either?

11026799_10152808729637549_6942658267798628567_n.jpg

11129926_10152808729652549_8187016547420168555_n.jpg

11011761_10152808729547549_2936122771881269032_n.jpg

Compliments of TusenFryd's Facebook page...cause it took about three clicks of a mouse...

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^Why haven't YOU posted them either?

Because, to be honest, I'm not really arsed about this project. The person posting below me was clearly interested in the project and asked why no photos had been uploaded. As he was interested himself, I asked why he didn't post some. I'm not going to go to all the hassle of posting images for something I have virtually no interest in. :)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^To be fair to KasperS (hei, kjære landsmann!), he only had one post at the time of posting that, so he had no way to post images.

Also, seems like some poor planning was at work at some time in that maintenance shed's construction - they apparently had to take one door off the hinges to fit the train in.

Dar

Hyper Poster
Can I be the first to say I love the way they get trains on and off the track? A splitting, lowering lift-hill segment? Amazing! :D

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
TusenFryd just put out a video of the new trains testing on their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/tusenfryd/vide ... 754672549/
The trains themselves aren't that visible in the video, but at least it's a nice POV.

In addition to receiving new trains, it seems like the coaster has had its last turn (before the brakes) redone. If memory serves me correctly, that bit was always very bumpy, and I've heard members here describe the turn as "square", so it should be a welcome reprofiling.

Also, there seems to be added a bunch of shiny little clamps around the track. I'm not entirely sure what they're for, but they seem to coincide well with the sections with the most intense lateral forces. As such, it seems they're there to reinforce the bracing of the rails, to reduce creep and/or wear.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
It's great to see them being proactive and tackling the problem before it gets worse again. I'd love to know how the Timberliners make a difference to the ride as it has the potential to be really good and was definitely the best of the three Vekomas. Shame it's so damn far away from anything else. I don't imagine I'll be going back for a while.