What's new

Thorpe Park: What could the future hold?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Even if Thorpe could afford to invest, what incentive do they really have to?
I get your point, and agree to a certain extent. Thorpe's level of investment in the 00s and up to Swarm was never sustainable. A coaster every 3-4 would never work long term when there's little other competition for such a thrill park in the UK. They'd either have to focus on trying to get the international market in (easier said than done), or slow down and do other things.

The trouble is that Thorpe don't have enough to keep people coming back yearly, and they aren't doing enough worthwhile 'other' stuff to gain attention. A big new coaster with particular quality would solve that problem to some degree.

Now that Thorpe have a reasonably solid lineup of coasters (not commenting on their quality), not to mention their last two investments failing to impact visitor numbers (The Swarm and DBGT)

This is something that frustrates me with Thorpe/Merlin. Swarm didn't positively impact visitor numbers because the park was off the back of their 2 best years ever, the Olympics affected numbers across all parks and Swarm's branding was weak and in a saturated market (apocalyptic stuff in 2012). But it stood the test of time and regularly scores as one of the best received rides in internal polls with guests.

DBGT was a huge risk. It opened mid-way through the season after several delays (when the ride was in early planning stages, it was expected to open in March and some financial targets were based on that). It had terrible reliability. And it just hasn't worked. Of course it's sensible to be wary after big investments after that, but you don't take a huge risk and then go 'well, it didn't pay off, I won't do anything ever again'.

Merlin are so narrow and rigid in their definition of success it's almost like they doom their major investments to fail.

but can the park even hold many more visitors? I wouldn’t be at all optimistic for anything new in the next few years.
Attendance is steady but hasn't broken 2m since 2014,
There are a lot of statements of dwindling attendance... not true (relatively speaking). It’s not materially worse than Alton Towers’s decline and AT has had a major new ride since 2015.

As for low attendance from 2015.... there is an obvious reason why.

The park aren't doing that well for visitor numbers. The data from the queue times website for Thorpe comes from the TEA figures (I believe) - the numbers there are provided by the parks/companies and they have no obligation to be truthful.

Some places (like Merlin) use it as a marketing tool. They can say their parks have increased when there's been big investment, held steady through bad times, etc. They can also use it to downplay some numbers because some people are silly: Thorpe's biggest year for attendance was 2011 - some people put 2 and 2 together and say the introduction of Storm Surge was genius because Thorpe had their busiest year ever as a result. Sounds stupid right? But that's how they fear people (read: investors) may react.

Obviously I can't back my numbers up and have no way of disproving what is out there. But to anyone who has visited Thorpe semi-regularly over the past decade - the park supposedly had 1.85m visitors in 2010, and 1.88m in 2018, according to that website. Did the park feel just as busy/popular in 2018 as it did in 2010? (Answer: no, because 2010 was MUCH busier).

Is there any legal reason (council restrictions?) why the park can't open until 10 throughout the summer holidays? I know it's a different park, but the 6 hour operating times are one of the things that puts us off visiting Chessington, and I'd be keen to see how increasing competition from Paulton's will impact that.
The only restrictions the council have for Thorpe in terms of late closing are:
1) Rides have to stop running by 11pm
2) The Dome can only be open until 3am on a maximum of like 30 nights of the year or something (the usual license is midnight).

The Dome thing was a result of the nightclub events they used to run. It was met with resistance from locals, but in the end I don't think it ever caused any issues.

So there's no restriction as to why they can't stay open that late. But the issue is that when they do, people don't stay. Unless it's Fright Nights, people don't stay until 10pm. Love Island Lates was dead. The summer openings they've tried in the past haven't worked. People just aren't interested in what the park have offered for late openings, unless it's been Halloween season.

I doubt they will, I think Galactica has been a failure for them and they're suffering from dead headsets on Darren Brown. VR coasters are dying (unless you're Europa Park, but they upcharge).

In terms of the VR addition, Galactica never really worked out. Same with Shaman at Gardaland. I doubt Merlin will go near VR rides any time soon. I'm sure when they can they'll remove it from Derren too.

But the actual retheme and branding from Air to Galactica was a HUGE success. They executed that perfectly. So I don't think Merlin/Towers see Galactica as a failure per se, as bottom line is they've got a stronger branded coaster out of it that makes more money (and they wouldn't have done the retheme without the VR). It's a shame they didn't go for space theme for Derren Brown's Ghost Train, which was considered at one point in the process.

New Walkthrough attraction to replace Walking Dead Living Nightmare. Some sort of sci-fi theme. Calling it now.
What an oddly specific, yet completely unjustifiable, guess to call...

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
To be honest I don't even think they're advertising a specific new attraction. It just seems like standard pre season opening marketing. I know people love to read into these things too much. I'd place bets the next image will just be Inferno, Saw or the Swarm.

2019 had no new attractions, just events. I anticipate 2020 will be equally as much of a let down.

Going forward, I genuinely don't expect to see a new coaster even in the next 3-5 years. I feel some people expect new additions often because they remember the boom between 2002 and 2009. But since 2009 we've had 1 coaster, 1 dark ride, a second hand raft ride and some rethemes and not a lot else. In fact, in that time almost as many rides closed!

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. M£erlins problems stem from poor, staff heavy attractions that cost little to build put a huge amount to run. They are quick to cling to a marketable fad, but in the long term, the popularity dwindles quickly. If they didn't install anything for 3 years but then had a major installation I think that potentially this would improve their attendance better than small, poorly thought through additions. As you said, we remember the 'boom' period with a huge number of coasters in a short space of time. I don't think that will ever happen again unless we get some sort of Energylandia government funding ;-)

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. M£erlins problems stem from poor, staff heavy attractions that cost little to build put a huge amount to run. They are quick to cling to a marketable fad, but in the long term, the popularity dwindles quickly. If they didn't install anything for 3 years but then had a major installation I think that potentially this would improve their attendance better than small, poorly thought through additions. As you said, we remember the 'boom' period with a huge number of coasters in a short space of time. I don't think that will ever happen again unless we get some sort of Energylandia government funding ;-)
Well hopefully this Merlin takeover can provide 'something from somewhere' and we get some kind of multi million development plan over a 10 year period for Alton, Thorpe, Chessington, Heide and Gardaland

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
So we all know how much Merlin love their IP's right? First INITIALISING and now Privacy and Pixelated Faces? Black Mirror anyone? No idea how on earth they'd make an experience out of that, but could be a potential thing?

What the hell?! I actually got it right ? Black Mirror: Labyrinth has just been announced as some form of interactive experience. Sounds interesting. Nice IP, question if it will appeal to the audience of Thorpe, but i'm interested.

Niles

Giga Poster
What the hell?! I actually got it right ? Black Mirror: Labyrinth has just been announced as some form of interactive experience. Sounds interesting. Nice IP, question if it will appeal to the audience of Thorpe, but i'm interested.

Nice guess ?, shame it’s not close to anything I wanted but I think it is better than what they did last year.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Good guess!

Totally not my cup of tea. I think there is so much of this maze stuff around and I'm probably too old to even bat an eyelid, but good luck to them and hope people will enjoy it.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
I'm excited, but being a scare attraction enthusiast above anything else, I am worried about the fact this means we're loosing yet another indoor maze at Thorpe. I'm sure they've got something planned for Fright Nights for a new replacement maze for Living Nightmare in another location, but i'm worried. Just give me another Creek Freak or Big Top 2017 and i'll be more than happy.

Also, I hereby demand everyone refer to me as the dippin' dots guy on account of my totally legit park knowledge ?

InsomniaMelon

Mega Poster
It’s good to see Thorpe Park working with Netflix but it’s a shame they’ve gone down the horror route again. There are so many great Netflix shows that would fit Thorpe Park’s market that aren’t horror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I do believe that Black Mirror Labyrinth will be very underrated, but some of these other events sound like last year all over again which tbf was quite underrated with Bouncezilla and Jungle Escape.
Screenshot_20200225_180149.jpg

coasterboy

Mega Poster
HYPERSpring details:

"From 4th April – 31st May, launch into the 2020 season as we celebrate HYPERSpring! Unlock the cryptic code phrase as you ride some of Europe’s most thrilling rides in the Cosmic 6 challenge, enjoy a brand new for 2020 live show and indulge yourself with limited edition digital delicacies available at select outlets across the Island. PLUS, for May Half Term only, brace yourself for random rollercoaster replays, detonation delays and system overloads as the park battles a trans-dimensional glitch with Hyper Ride Roulette.

Discover a thrilling new digital dimension and join us for an other-worldly extravaganza at HYPERSpring!"

"Cryptic code phrase" - free popbadge or a hint towards something else...

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Personally I do believe that Black Mirror Labyrinth will be very underrated, but some of these other events sound like last year all over again which tbf was quite underrated with Bouncezilla and Jungle Escape.

Totally agree, people are already underestimating it, which is a real shame. Black Mirror will be such a hard IP to do right, but I have faith in Thorpe. I think people will be surprised. I just hope people give it a chance.

I do however think it's interesting what @InsomniaMelon said about horror IP's. I personally wouldn't consider Black Mirror a horror IP, but then again i'm a hardened scare enthusiast who is hard to scare. It's absolutely sinister, but I think that's in line with most of the themes at Thorpe.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
I'm a big fan of Black Mirror but I can't see what I love about the show translating into a temporary, low budget walk-through. Based on the concept art and description I think this will have a generic Sci Fi 'technology powerful and bad' theme rather than be recognisably Black Mirror. I mean look at Walking Dead, it contains very few references to the show and could be a generic zombie themed coaster with minor tweaks.

I'm curious to see what the attraction is but we all know it won't last more than three seasons. This will be Thorpe's 8th season without a new coaster and possibly its 4th without any new ride hardware (can't remember whether Lumber Jump was pre or post DBGT). I just can't muster the excitement I used to have for the park.

The other worrying thing is the park is now down an indoor maze space come Fright Night. I suppose they could plonk a marquee down a la Big Top or renovate the I'm a Celeb area but I wouldn't be surprised if Creek Freak was the only indoor attraction this year. I think Thorpe's outdoor mazes are appalling and the biggest contributor to the events decreasing quality the last few years so hopefully they've got another indoor space planned.

InsomniaMelon

Mega Poster
Totally agree, people are already underestimating it, which is a real shame. Black Mirror will be such a hard IP to do right, but I have faith in Thorpe. I think people will be surprised. I just hope people give it a chance.

I do however think it's interesting what @InsomniaMelon said about horror IP's. I personally wouldn't consider Black Mirror a horror IP, but then again i'm a hardened scare enthusiast who is hard to scare. It's absolutely sinister, but I think that's in line with most of the themes at Thorpe.

It’s more of a dark comedy but it’s still too dark for me. I do like Black Mirror but I want something a bit different for TP. I would’ve preferred another show like The End of the ****ing World maybe. It’s still dark but not too much for me.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
Yeah this is not the update I wanted to see. Thorpe Park have such an odd IP-reliant short-sighted approach these days and it just doesn't interest me.
Black Mirror is an excellent show, but each episode is unique and there have been dozens now, so a Black Mirror attraction is most likely going to have to be vague an generic to fit with the brand.

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Yeah this is not the update I wanted to see. Thorpe Park have such an odd IP-reliant short-sighted approach these days and it just doesn't interest me.
Black Mirror is an excellent show, but each episode is unique and there have been dozens now, so a Black Mirror attraction is most likely going to have to be vague an generic to fit with the brand.

I'd be all for a permanent Black Mirror dark ride (particularly if it replaced DBGT) if it were done like an original episode. I guess a bit like how Disney originally approached Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. It seems to me that the scare maze thing is a relatively cheap thrill to install (and quickly) and it thus seems to be more about finding IPs that can be used for something like that rather than Charlie Brooker approaching Thorpe Park and saying "Hey I have an idea for a great ride but it should (partially) be a scare maze because that will work best". But I'm probably being quite cynical about the whole thing. I just like to see more coasters but I know it costs a lot.

InsomniaMelon

Mega Poster
I'd be all for a permanent Black Mirror dark ride (particularly if it replaced DBGT) if it were done like an original episode. I guess a bit like how Disney originally approached Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. It seems to me that the scare maze thing is a relatively cheap thrill to install (and quickly) and it thus seems to be more about finding IPs that can be used for something like that rather than Charlie Brooker approaching Thorpe Park and saying "Hey I have an idea for a great ride but it should (partially) be a scare maze because that will work best". But I'm probably being quite cynical about the whole thing. I just like to see more coasters but I know it costs a lot.

That’s what everyone wants

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I don’t really see how a traditional scare maze would work with Black Mirror. It has to be something more than that. ‘Jump scares’ is not very ‘Black Mirror’ - but disturbing scenarios of what ‘might happen in the future’ is.

Something like.... “the worlds best theme park ride - the special effects are so amazing we are required to put a microchip in your eyes to enhance the experience (allowing us to record and make further improvements).”

Now that’s the sort of thing I’m expecting ^

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I’m quite looking forward to visiting Thorpe several times this year. I actually like their coaster line up, and whilst I would love them to build more, mainly because they are one of the few who ‘could’ build big, and the only realistic site for a UK RMC, they do already have a fun lineup that most European parks would envy. Not very well versed in ‘Black Mirror’ but I am looking forward to trying it out.