What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

I think I actually quite like Swarm as a name. Unique, at least. Not what anyone was expecting at all, but it gives the coaster itself a narrative for being when the other theme ideas we had really didn't.

I like the about page:

"The UK's first winged rollercoaster, THE SWARM, takes you on a death defying flight through apocalyptic devastation.
Be picked up and dragged on the wings of THE SWARM as you’re left exposed and vulnerable to the extreme near misses and gut wrenching inversions as it rips through the sky on its
mission of complete annihilation.
Experience the unique head first, inverted drop from 127ft as you are flung into this merciless flight for your life. War is coming...
Spring 2012."

I don't understand why they bother using "the" though.

Thom25

Roller Poster

I think it's an interesting name and should grow on me over time.

Has any specific ride details been announced or a video outside of the one on http://www.theswarm.co.uk/.

kimahri

CF Legend

Btw. Havn't got the best signal for vids on my phone atm. Anyone got a screen cap of the trains?

spicy

Giga Poster
The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Don't like the name but it will grow on people after time, I remember when Rita's name was announced and everyone hated it but no one thinks anything of it being called Rita now.

Anyway, still looks to be the best new coaster in a very long time despite the name!

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

I love the idea that its themed towards some awesome biological swarm of what I presume are flesh eating insects, its pretty awesome. And "Swarm" would be a pretty cool name, shame about the the....but oh well. People will only end up saying "lets go on the swarm" it looks epic. But yeah it does appear to be basically the same train as was on raptor. But yeah, I can't wait to ride this ride!

Oh yeah and is it just me or does the picture of the train appear to reveal there will be fire effects during the ride?

Darren B

Giga Poster

I like the name, its original for a rollercoaster and i think Thorpe have done a fantastic job so far with the whole build-up of the ride (and im certainly not thorpe's biggest fan), and hopefully this is going to be the ride that lives up to expectations after the rather dissapointing Saw/Thirteen episodes.

Beans

Hyper Poster

I like the name, and it's more about the ride itself

Can't remember who asked but picture of trains from site

theswarmtrains.jpg

andrus

Giga Poster

^^^Do you think it'll be themed to insects? When I saw the picture of the train I immediately thought of Terminator and a swarm of machines that would wipe out humanity.. That's at least how I interpret it :p

Nic

Strata Poster

I know nothing about it myself, but...

Last week there were rumours that it could be Gears of War related because the font is the same/similar? I've just had a chat with some of the gamers in the office, and they reckon that it's highly likely/almost certain. Apparently the baddies in the game are known as "The Swarm"? (like I said, I know nothing about this myself, and am relying on a short conversation with people at work for this). The fact that the video concentrates on "the sWARm" would also make sense. Gears of War 3, the new game, is out at the end of September this year. Sounds like a franchise tie-in to me...

andrus

Giga Poster

^Yes, they're indeed refferd to as "the swarm". Makes perfect sense to me now!

WelcomeToOblivion

Giga Poster
Re: LC12 - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Nic said:
"The Swarm" Really? Eugh. Not sure I like that. Rides shouldn't start with "The" that's just silly.

Oh, plus, was anyone else disappointed by the lack of Jordan's sister in the artwork?! ;)
I looked out for her.
Very sad now.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

^^^I did quickly check this (in fear of that Thorpe ARE that stupid), and fortunately, the baddies in Gears of War are the Locust Horde (according to Wiki)...

Although... We could still be unlucky to have a rather dodgy IP tie-in...

Ben

CF Legend

There are things that are really Gears of War-esque (like the font, and even the little red circle thing on the logo), but, the enemies in Gears are the Locust Horde, not the Swarm.

Think Thorpe are just casually ripping elements off tbh.

Plus, Gears isn't set on this planet. And none of the theming would fit.

Just... nah.

marc

CF Legend

Well after riding Raptor I have higher hopes than I did for this. If Thorpe get the theming right the leg chopping for the people on the outside will be great, for people on the inside seats though its sort of an average experience.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Can we stop with the "game based links" now please? Also, it's not based on the 70's Bee-movie of the same name.

It's a unique and original idea that didn't take inspiration from anything like those things at all... ;)

Beans

Hyper Poster

I did a few Screen shots from the video and they look like they have wiped out my 2 worse rides, Storm Surge and X:/NWO

theswarmscreengraba.jpg

swarmtrains.jpg

swarmpicturecap.jpg

And these 2 were from my vids I did of Les Coogan

theswarmmyvid.jpg

theswarmmyvid2.jpg

Danzibarr

Mega Poster

I like Swarm. I hate THE swarm.

They might as well rename all the rides;

The stealth
The nemesis inferno
The colossus

And my favourite being The saw the ride.

It'll grow on me but it's just weird. The?

nadroJ

CF Legend

I like it. It's completely unexpected, highly original and I can guarantee that none of us saw this coming. I'd prefer the ride to actually be themed to some sort of B-Movie style swarm of locust/giant wasps/killer bees and the devastation this would cause, but for now I'm quite happy with it all. I was expecting the generic 'machines have turned against us thus the world is imploding' kind of apocalypse, this has really caught me by surprise, so Thorpe get points for that.

Oh, and if it rides like Raptor the it's going to be pretty cool anyway.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: LC12 - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

nadroJ said:
I like it. It's completely unexpected, highly original and I can guarantee that none of us saw this coming..

Hey, I expected the unexpected (Dr Ninestein)

furie said:
Does everyone remember being 100% convinced Thirteen was going to be called "Enchained" or whatever it was (I'd have to go back and look up the topic to find out)? That was all down to people reading too much into early promotional material and trying to "work out" what the name was.

In reality, they never give you any clues as to what it may be called. We have as much evidence for it to be called "War" as we do for it to be called "The fruit blending mystery coaster".

I'm actually shocked it wasn't The Fruit Blending Mystery Coaster of course...

Status
Not open for further replies.