What's new

Thorpe Park of WIN? April 6th 2011

peep

CF Legend
So I was getting cravings to go back to Thorpe and randomly Scarlet was feeling the same way so after a few messages on Facebook the other night we both succeeded in organising a random trip to the park today. Amazingly the weather decided to go all Summery on us. It was stupidly hot and it was just like "what happened to April showers?"

However due to this spontaneous Summer like weather lots of other peeps decided to crash what we were hoping to be a very quiet day at Thorpe. When we arrived at like 11:30 the car park was fairly busy. After getting Scarlet's ticket after stupid computer faff we headed into the park, both of us hadn't been to the park since very early last year, scary times.

Obviously the first ride of the day had to be Detonator. Lots of loud speakers were approved of and the ride itself was great, very forceful today and took both of us by surprise which is a surprise in itself considering the amount of times we've both ridden it :p

217724_10150525113970360_529160359_17809348_3284074_n.jpg

I requested that Nemesis Inferno be the next choice of ride and Scarlet agreed so we ended up queuing for it. Unusually the majority of the extension queue was open which meant that waiting time on the stairs wasn't as long as it could've been. It was running extremely well today and mist effects are approved of, even if they are terrible in comparison to the mass of smoke in the tunnel a couple years back. But yeah, forceful Inferno was enjoyed lots.

205818_10150525114240360_529160359_17809354_4772083_n.jpg

Collosus was next on the agenda and advertised queue time was a lie! Told us 30 minutes when it was clearly about 15. So we headed in and before we knew it we were on the ride. I have to admit, the staff were absolutely amazing, the throughput was astounding today on all the rides! Anyway, the ride, it was rough as hell but I still kinda liked it, the forcefullness of the vertical loop and the way it chucked us over the tiny air time hill was just ridiculously fast. However I did find that by the end of the ride I was a little dizzy and not willing to go on again lol.

216542_10150525114400360_529160359_17809356_6557406_n.jpg

Collosus sans train

Next up was Rush. We queued for about 10-15 mins? So yeah, another win and the ride itself was great, full of air time awesomeness.

217511_10150525114475360_529160359_17809359_3157338_n.jpg

We decided to check out X:/No Way Out but as we passed this monstrosity...

216861_10150525114640360_529160359_17809362_1531804_n.jpg

...and entered the queueline some peeps were walking back out of the queueline. When Scarlet asked one of them why they were leaving they informed us that someone puked on the ride and they were going to be a while cleaning it up...FAILz

205197_10150525114975360_529160359_17809367_3184937_n.jpg

X:/NWO DENIED

We were starting to feel hungry now and after checking out Pizza Hut which was too busy we ended up at the Calypso BBQ place. Oh and when did Thorpe get a Mexican Cantina? It was all very random. But yeah, calypso was nice, bit of a long queue to order food but once ordered it came over very quickly - good work food peeps of the Thorpe World. We both went for the cheese and bacon burger with the fries that be of the lattice variety. It was stupidly filling, I'm still not sure how I managed to eat it all.

To give us some time for food to go down before some more thrills we opted for Rumba Rapids. Now I remember this being very tame but with lots of water features to get you wet. It would appear they've added some more rapid-like features and with just the two of us in the boat we span like mad (who needs Storm fart?). So yeah, it was oddly a very enjoyable ride. Definitely doesn't compare to the epic ones I've been on in the past year accross Europe but it was better than I remembered. Oh and fountains of spite at the end were amusing, why are we all scared of a little sprinkle of water? Oh apart from the one kid who defied logic and decided to act like a hooligan once blessed by the fountains of spite. Some people eh?

217736_10150525115185360_529160359_17809370_1270294_n.jpg

208133_10150525115435360_529160359_17809374_6596655_n.jpg

We then decided that now Stealth was open (was broken down when we arrived) we should check out the queue. The queue was about 30 mins or so and we decided that we both wanted to ride it enough to queue that long. Just before going under the launch track part of the queue it decided to have a small breakdown, a few minutes later it was open though and their fast throughput continued. We got on second to last row and it was fantastic. Such a powerful launch and just fun if a little too short. Best launched coaster in the UK (not that it has much competition in that field).

217358_10150525115515360_529160359_17809375_1218237_n.jpg

Our next ride as it had a very short queue was...

217080_10150525115655360_529160359_17809377_3695668_n.jpg

The music wasn't on in the area which was odd compared to earlier on in the day. This was all planned though as the ride op was doing random bits and bobs which was highly amusing. Fake breakdown at the top was hilarious and then he told a group that he was going to launch them up as it was all too slow before them being shot back down, the gullible riders believed him and absolutely started to wet themselves, he then got the queue to countdown to the 'launch', it was all rather hilarious once he did actually start the ride and they slowly moved up the tower. I liked him, he was operating in a fun way. Our ride he just held us up there for a while and then just randomly dropped us which definitely added a sense of fear into some riders. Definitely has an element of surprise and shock, good times.

We then headed over to the Saw area to see what the queue was like for that. It said 30 minutes and due to not having that much time left we decided to just walk straight on Samurai instead. Ok, I know I haven't ridden it for like a couple of years but when the hell did it get amazing? From the off we were spinning all over the shop, it was just pure madness and it was so disorientating. It was like on some sort of epic cycle that just went on and on and was just fantastic.

Well during the spinning I noticed that the Saw queueline wasn't fully open and that the 30 min wait time was a lie. So we headed over. We ended up riding three times in a row due to 5 minute queue. Mr Chris was also operating and he came to say hi at one point which was cool as neither of us had seen him for at least a year, reunion times, they be good.

207589_10150525115735360_529160359_17809379_4278425_n.jpg

We both like Saw but I do agree now that it is very rough and that kink at the bottom of the drop is now very noticeable. Saying that, all the effects were working in the indoor section which was cool. Scarlet's reaction as we went round was amazing too, provided me with some lol moments.

We wanted to get a few more rides in but had too much Saw based times. Inferno was our choice and we walked straight on! Epic. It was a great ride again and we both remained very happy.

We then ran to Detonator for one last ride which was great again. Could we fit one more ride into our perfect day? We tried Storm Surge but they had just closed the queue, oh wells. We grabbed some ice cream from the big shop and then sat in the sun. The staff member at the entrance of Storm Surge was so burnt from the sun it was hilarious.

And that was the end of what was a fantastic day at Thorpe Park! The staff were all very cool and operations were fast and just great in general (break downs not lasting long etc). The food was good, the weather was perfect and despite it being busy the queues were minimal and the rides were running very well. I think I'll leave going back again this year, don't want to ruin a good impression as their hard to come by on visits to Thorpe, lets try and make the goodness last for a bit lol.

Thanks for reading peeps!

Scarlet

Mega Poster
Fantastic day, despite only really having 5 hours. Everything ran so well, a nice amount of (happy) people, no rushing, no fuss just a lovely atmosphere.

Can I get an amen up in here?

Scarlet

Mega Poster
Funnily enough Ben, Thorpe was easy to love today. So I'm with John about abstaining from visiting again anytime soon as this perception will so easily be SHATTERED <3

Scarlet

Mega Poster
Well sadly Will, due to me driving we no longer have to bare playing games like whack-a-vend with the selection pads of Staines station vending machines. However, had we used public transport and had we lost the ability to decide a vend item on emergency money - I'm sure we'd have played whack-a-vend, been presented with SMINT, and written a considerably more negative report.

:lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think Thorpe probably has a huge number of good days, all the days when there aren't many people in the park, so fewer reports are written.

Good read Peep, looks like the kind of day at Thorpe I "meh" :lol:

Ollie

CF Legend
Nice report. I also had a good day when I was at Thorpe on opening day. I think it was because the park was really quiet then as well.
As we've done all the rides many times before, you see the queue time and really can't be bothered to stand in line for ages for a ride we've done a million times before so it's nice and less stressful when the queues are short to non-existent. :)

Martyn B

CF Legend
Collosus has needed new paint for many years now! But yeah, Inferno is looking rather rustic now as well.