What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
The track in the above image is very Mack. I think its quite possible anyway as although Gerstlauer have similar track, their Infinity Coaster trains don't exactly have too many rows and the General Manager was quoted as saying that they are targeting a throughput of 1000pph.
The immelmann shaping is also very very reminiscent of the one on Hurricane Roller Coaster

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Well this has depressed me:-

It's amazing how much of a difference just those few extra elements have made to the layout, only thing I'd change would be to replace the first large hill he added with a whippy step-up underflip. Can someone PLEASE pitch this to Thorpe?

Last edited:

Doublethink

Roller Poster
Well this has depressed me:-

It's amazing how much of a difference just those few extra elements have made to the layout, only thing I'd change would be to replace the first hill he added with a whippy step-up underflip. Can someone PLEASE pitch this to Thorpe?
Yeah that would probably take it into world top 20.....

toofpikk

Mega Poster
I was confused, I thought that layout had been updated according to the new plans. Now, I am sad :c

Also really disappointed Thorpe opted to fill in so much of the lake. Such a cool asset to use, it feels like a real waste that they're taking such a nice backdrop for the ride and removing 1/3 of it for the convenience of the ride design. Should really be the other way round, shaping the coaster to the lands features. I'm sure there's plausible reason for it, but nonetheless sad to see.

Trax

Hyper Poster
Talking about walls, I will complain the hell out of every single piece of wall they are putting up 😂

The extended layout really does wonders to the length and makes the ride look much more complete. I really liked how the support structure has been reused in parts, to allow an additional pass. But unfortunately Merlin will go with the bare minimum… At least it is still a large addition to a park in desperate need of something. And getting this announcement after a second year of COVID is really nice.
BTW I would not rule out Gerstlauer as a manufacturer. They are pretty cheap (way cheaper than Mack) and Merlin already has some know how in the park regarding their operations. Additionally, the wider trains tend to loose more energy, reducing or eliminating the risk of trimms.
I still hope for smack, though. Every time Gerstlauer builds a new coaster, the gods flip a coin if it will ride smooth or rough.

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
I can't see this being a Gerstlauer. Their Infinity Coasters are known for having vertical lift hills and smaller trains (which would mean a throughput lower than their target of 1000pph). I suppose it could be a new model from Gerstlauer but I don't think this is likely.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Personally, I'm quite hesitant about the possibility of Exodus being a Gerstlauer following the Smiler crash. I know the crash wasn't Gerstlauer's fault, but I'm not sure Merlin would want to risk the negative PR associated with building another ride from the same manufacturer as Smiler, and besides, I get the impression that Smiler was somewhat problematic even pre-crash.

And looking at it from Gerstlauer's end; take this with a pinch of salt, but I heard somewhere that Gerstlauer and Merlin are allegedly not on talking terms due to the way in which one of their rides was dragged through the mud reputation-wise following the crash.

Matt N

CF Legend
I thought we were past this ‘is it isn’t it Mack’ thing?
For my money; chances are it almost definitely is Mack (I'm 99% certain it'll be a Mack hyper, personally), but there is a slight outside chance of it being another manufacturer.

Admittedly, another manufacturer wouldn't explain the use of Land of Legends for a noise study and the very Mack-like track in the concept art, but I wouldn't entirely rule out another manufacturer yet. (Although as I said above, I'm 99% certain it'll be a Mack hyper... but the 1% chance of another manufacturer does still linger!)