What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Matt N

CF Legend
I had a thought; I’m not sure if you guys would agree, but even if this coaster doesn’t end up being a hyper, I reckon the Thorpe hyper is now becoming almost as notorious (for lack of a better word) as a hypothetical ride concept as the Towers woodie was prior to Wicker Man’s construction, so given that Thorpe can technically build higher than Stealth (after some research, they are apparently outside Heathrow’s inner surface), I reckon it will happen eventually, even if not 2024! Given enthusiasts wore Merlin down enough to build a wooden coaster, which they literally said even only a few years prior that they would never do due to them being unmarketable, I’d suggest that a hyper would take far less convincing!

My personal thought is that this new coaster could very well be a hyper (my personal prediction prior to the consultation is B&M Hyper that will steal the UK height record), but even if it’s not, I think we will see one eventually…

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I had a thought; I’m not sure if you guys would agree, but even if this coaster doesn’t end up being a hyper, I reckon the Thorpe hyper is now becoming almost as notorious (for lack of a better word) as a hypothetical ride concept as the Towers woodie was prior to Wicker Man’s construction, so given that Thorpe can technically build higher than Stealth (after some research, they are apparently outside Heathrow’s inner surface), I reckon it will happen eventually, even if not 2024! Given enthusiasts wore Merlin down enough to build a wooden coaster, which they literally said even only a few years prior that they would never do due to them being unmarketable, I’d suggest that a hyper would take far less convincing!

My personal thought is that this new coaster could very well be a hyper (my personal prediction prior to the consultation is B&M Hyper that will steal the UK height record), but even if it’s not, I think we will see one eventually…
There's a rumour going round that somebody from Merlin Magic Making has implied on twitter that it is a B&M Flying coaster...

Do I believe it? No.
Have I even found evidence of said tweet? Not a thing.
Should you take it with a pinch of salt? No, you should take it with a bucketful of pure sodium!

Can you imagine though, that would be an absolute kick in the teeth for us enthusiasts wouldn't it?

Edit: Scratch that, here's the hint!!!!

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Maybe John’s tweet is more of a “Let the rumour mill commence…” type thing?

I’m not sure that a Peter Pan GIF necessarily points to any particular kind of coaster, personally.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
If you look at John's original tweet, it's the lyrics from a song within Mary Poppins.
Clearly means we're getting a Miss Poppins themed roller coaster.

Or, it's a playful take on how the wheels are in motion for a wider audience to find out what he's been working on.

Orrrrrrrrrrrr, here me out because this is a crazy idea, it's unrelated.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Given enthusiasts wore Merlin down enough to build a wooden coaster

That's not what happened. That's so far from reality.

I think it's important here to remember the difference between a rumour and general forum wishlisting. There's no sources or anything reputable to suggest a B&M hyper is coming to Thorpe. However it has been mentioned by lots of enthusiasts on here and elsewhere many times the last few years. This does not make it rumoured or anymore likely to happen.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
There's a rumour going round that somebody from Merlin Magic Making has implied on twitter that it is a B&M Flying coaster...

Do I believe it? No.
Have I even found evidence of said tweet? Not a thing.
Should you take it with a pinch of salt? No, you should take it with a bucketful of pure sodium!

Can you imagine though, that would be an absolute kick in the teeth for us enthusiasts wouldn't it?

Edit: Scratch that, here's the hint!!!!

I'll be honest, I wouldn't be complaining if it was a flying coaster if it was massive, something along the lines of Flying Dinosaur or Starry Sky Ripper. But if it ended up being a tiny pile of ****, than nah. I'm still fully on the hyper coaster train though.

Matt N

CF Legend
That's not what happened. That's so far from reality.

I think it's important here to remember the difference between a rumour and general forum wishlisting. There's no sources or anything reputable to suggest a B&M hyper is coming to Thorpe. However it has been mentioned by lots of enthusiasts on here and elsewhere many times the last few years. This does not make it rumoured or anymore likely to happen.
Apologies @Benenen; I’ll admit that that almost definitely wasn’t what happened, and it was a silly and ill-considered comment in hindsight. I sincerely apologise, and it won’t happen again.

However, I’ll admit that from my spectator’s perspective, the whole situation between enthusiasts and Alton Towers in regard to woodies since the early 2000s or so has come across a bit like when a small child continually pesters their parents for something until they’ve worn them down enough that they finally give in…

I’ll admit that there’s nothing concrete by any means, but I have seen rumours from some fairly reputable people suggesting that a hyper could be on the way… based on Making Thorpe Park suggesting that a B&M Hyper was originally planned in lieu of Swarm (citing an interview with John Wardley as its source), such a decision would also be far from the first time that the park has considered a hyper.

Last edited:

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
B&M flyers are simply not a hot product anymore. Disregarding ride experience, they're hardware for larger-budgeted parks and are complex and cumbersome systems. That has tended to be the case with most flyers (exceptions to the Volare and F.L.Y.), but I just can't see it happening at Thorpe.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
If you look at John's original tweet, it's the lyrics from a song within Mary Poppins.
Clearly means we're getting a Miss Poppins themed roller coaster.

If it is linked though....

Mary Poppins is also famous for 'flying' with the use of her umbrella to be fair...

Not that references to flying necessarily mean a flying coaster anyway, it could reference height, touching the sky, disappearing into the clouds.... Having nowhere to go but up!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Anyone wanna crash the consultation with me and demand the plans are changed to a Steel Vengeance clone?
Me me me…

I’m still holding out a slim bit of hope that the latest teaser, The RMC door, which must have sanctioned by somebody at the park, is not a red herring!!!

After all, Fred and the British team who worked on installing Untamed said at Untamed’s opening that they had other projects together coming up in Europe… We’ve yet to see what they are! (Zadra wasn’t one)

Last edited:

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
You know something's just clicked with me, and I wonder what truly wacky theme they'll be going with. Thorpe doesn't go as "out there" in terms of theming as Towers does...

Volcano versus underground monster held down by steel beams. Atlantis versus government controlled forced emotional manipulation machine. 1950's racing versus escaping a cursed forest before the trees overcome you.

I was thinking if it was a B&M hyper they could A) take the Shambhala route and theme it to the mountains, or B) theme it to something that rules the world, if the ride takes the height record and dominates the skyline where you can see it literally everywhere so it would fit.

Could be something to think about.

Matt N

CF Legend
or B) theme it to something that rules the world, if the ride takes the height record and dominates the skyline where you can see it literally everywhere so it would fit.

Could be something to think about.
I’ve got to say, I’m a big fan of this idea! It would really exacerbate the size of the ride, and opens up many cool theming opportunities!

I’ll admit that I’ve always liked the idea of the name Emperor for a hyper, and I reckon that would fit nicely with what you’re describing! Maybe they could even do some tribal-type theming to go alongside it (maybe something in the style of Kondaa)? That would be epic!

Will

Strata Poster
I'm going to get shot for this, but I'd genuinely rather see them get a B&M Hyper than an RMC. RMCs still feel kind of *special* and having one in the UK would ruin that to an extent.

Also - I hope they keep us guessing. Again, I'm an old-school enthusiast and really miss the days when construction was shrouded in mystery rather than us knowing every detail before the groundwork's even finished.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I was thinking if it was a B&M hyper they could A) take the Shambhala route and theme it to the mountains, or B) theme it to something that rules the world, if the ride takes the height record and dominates the skyline where you can see it literally everywhere so it would fit..
Ah yes, a B&M hyper coaster themed to the Pennines or the three peaks, how amazing that would be.

Psycoshark

Roller Poster
So the 3 coaster B&M deal must be true because of the coaster at the new Legoland in China, Chessington’s new coaster and this probably.

I hope it’s a ride like the Flight Of The Himalayan Eagle Music Coaster, for the people who don’t know what the heck I’m talking about, it’s a smaller model of the hyper coaster, which would not effect the flight path for Heathrow Airport.
Fortunately Thorpe Park is just outside the zone for Heathrow and contrary to what some people believe, they could build higher than Stealth if they wanted to.