What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Nah, they've reposted, replied to me saying they got a little carried away...

That photo though... I really hope Jack offers large prints / canvases of that, it's going straight on my wall if he does, I don't care how good the coaster turns out to be, it's my favourite coaster photo ever!

For anybody that doesn't click through, Jack Silkstone's incredible photo...

GNR1PjnXMAA3fX0.jpeg

Credit: https://twitter.com/J_Silkstone

spicy

Giga Poster
I do like the queue line fencing, way better than the prison style fencing they put on Nemesis Reborn.

Unfortunately can't help but think all those orange flat surfaces on the fencing present an opportunity for chavs with a black sharpie though. We know how much The Swarm queue line has suffered with idiots graffiting.

Also kind of hate where they have put that hut right in front of the turnaround.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Am I the only one here thinking about how the ride opens in 9 days and half of it is still a construction site? Feels like they're cutting it very close here? I sincerely hope this isn't yet another Nemesis Reborn/Minifigure Speedway where the whole area opens halfway unfinished. It does look like they have a lot of work to get done in the space of a week.

On another note it feels like hype levels should be sky high but they just... aren't. I don't like how they've gone with the appearance of the ride, how the design of the area makes the outerbank difficult to see from up close, the absolute hell zone queue line, the removal of the splash plaza, the fact that the colours of the ride hardware doesn't fade, the box station, how small the area is going to feel with how you can't walk under the ride like with every other coaster in the park, no queue shade, and the fact that it feels like gold is the only colour they know.

I am actively dreading waiting in that queue on any weekend. It's horrible.

For how big this is for the UK it truly feels like they've cut so many corners with the presentation. It's not like they had space issues either? I guess the ride will be fun, but it all feels cheap and not very well thought out. It looks like it belongs at Flamingo Land.

Coloratura

Roller Poster
Am I the only one here thinking about how the ride opens in 9 days and half of it is still a construction site? Feels like they're cutting it very close here? I sincerely hope this isn't yet another Nemesis Reborn/Minifigure Speedway where the whole area opens halfway unfinished. It does look like they have a lot of work to get done in the space of a week.

On another note it feels like hype levels should be sky high but they just... aren't. I don't like how they've gone with the appearance of the ride, how the design of the area makes the outerbank difficult to see from up close, the absolute hell zone queue line, the removal of the splash plaza, the fact that the colours of the ride hardware doesn't fade, the box station, how small the area is going to feel with how you can't walk under the ride like with every other coaster in the park, no queue shade, and the fact that it feels like gold is the only colour they know.

I am actively dreading waiting in that queue on any weekend. It's horrible.

For how big this is for the UK it truly feels like they've cut so many corners with the presentation. It's not like they had space issues either? I guess the ride will be fun, but it all feels cheap and not very well thought out. It looks like it belongs at Flamingo Land.
It's not perfect by any means, but hell, Flamingo Land could only dream of having a ride close to what Hyperia is.

Whilst I can pick out bits I am not happy about, I can't contain my excitement and I do feel a general buzz building up to it. This is going to be a massive hit with the GP, that's for sure!

Ollie

CF Legend
Okay, I might get steamed for saying this, but I hate the queue. It genuinely hurts my eyes. I think standing around in it for hours would be torture.
The colours are nice. Cattle pen queues are horrible but they are a massive space saver. I think with the excitement of riding it for the first time mixed with views of the coaster it won't be too bad. But will feel longer on repeat rides.

I thought the same initially but they've made a lot of progress in the past week. Once the ground work is all done it won't take long to get the remaining fences in. Sadly the foliage will take a while to grow so will look a little bare to begin with but give it a year or so once it's grown and it'll look great.
They've still got the VIP and Press event before opening so will need to be finished before then.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
We have an opening information video:

Basically there won't be any sort of rope drop; there will be a very controlled pathway to the entrance, with there being a 'holding queue' for the ride alongside the old Saw Alive pathway when the main ride queue is full.

This will be in place for the first 2 days for definite, and potentially longer depending on demand.

Also noteworthy is that Hyperia's front row queue won't be in operation when it opens.

All in a handy graphic here: https://link.assetfile.io/6V8VYiW8uqD52rHqOTVRS2/Hyperia+Opening+Procedure+Map.pdf

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
👏 👏 👏 Well done Thorpe Park... Now we can look forward to the day without worrying if we'll pick up an injury or worse.

Obviously we've no idea how smoothly it will go, they've never had to deal with this level of (over) enthusiasm. But the point is, they've seen the risk, assessed the dangers, and have clearly put a hell of a lot of thought and effort into ensuring it's a safe day for all.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I think the problem with the queueline is there is too much gold. Black and gold go well together, but the gold needs to be subtle, or at least subtler than the queueline. I don’t think it helps that the floor is also gold looking, a darker texture for the path could have helped.

I’m also assuming the photos have been touched up to make the area look more vibrant, which may be why it looks so gaudy.