What's new

Thorpe Park Fright Nights 2013

CJH21

Roller Poster
So information has been released at last.
Lionsgate has joined Thorpe Park in the biggest overhaul of the event since launching.
Teaming up with Lionsgate UK, Thorpe Park will bring all new immersive live action horror attracions based on You're Next, the up coming must see summer horror movie, The Blair Witch Project, My Bloody Valentine and The Cabin in the Woods, not forgetting SAW, which opened back in 2010 just a year after SAW - THE RIDE.
What are your views on this?

I think it's great and shows the growth of this event.

Source: http://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk

Ethan

Strata Poster
Looks decent. Not sure how they're gonna pull some of those films off though...

N6Kwgps.jpg

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
I must admit I do love the idea of using IP's for the mazes, but some of those choices are just odd. I mean Cabin in the Woods isn't exactly a horror film, I just don't see how it's possible to make a scare maze out of it. Other than that though, You're Next sounds like it will be reasonably similar to The Boiler house in the cat and mouse nature of the maze. The Bloody Valentine one sounds amazing, I have been wanting an underground mine/cave themed maze for ages, and Blair Witch could be Thorpe' first outside maze! So where do people think the mazes will be? My prediction is,
Lake View Marquee - You're next
X Building - My Bloody Valentine
The Showcase/Fungle Safari - Cabin in The Woods or Blair Witch Project
Canada Creek Railway - Blair Witch Project
Saw Alive

Oh and anyone else worrying that the reason Alton haven't invested much this year is to wait and see how well the IP based fright nights performs in order to adopt it if it does well?
Oh and how do Annual Pass holders book their ticket?

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I think they could have chosen better films but I really like the idea overall, could be really interesting.

Hoping to go to my first Fright Night in years so should be good.

Ethan

Strata Poster
2010 was good, 2011 was alright but 2012 but dire in my opinion. Hopefully they'll pull off these IPs well!

Rob

Mega Poster
silenthillXD said:
Oh and anyone else worrying that the reason Alton haven't invested much this year is to wait and see how well the IP based fright nights performs in order to adopt it if it does well?

No. Just no. Alton Towers have had no collaboration with Lionsgate, ever, and such an event would never fit their target audience. I wouldn't be surprised at the possibility of a single movie based attraction, but they have a strong brand and strong event that stands on it's own feet. Hang fire and I'm sure you'll see the usual strong performance from Alton Towers.

I'm of mixed feelings on this one. I loved the traditional Fright Nights events, when it was about being a Halloween themed theme park, as in 2007/2008, rather than lately, where the event has been rides and some mazes with Saw music park wide.

I'm slightly disappointed that I won't get to experience experiment 10, arguably their strongest maze, again this year, and also quite disappointed that my hopes of the park returning to the old type of Fright Nights has been crushed once again. It's worth noting that this seems a very bizarre twist, when they've just spent all summer trying to bring the families into the park. They're now launching an event distinctively aimed at 16-25 year olds, rather than a family oriented experience.

I also have little doubt about the reasons behind this event. The park will be wanting to make as much revenue as they can on what is often their busiest part of the year, so as per usual, expect the queues! I'd imagine there will be the usual forgetting about all guest experience and going for up sale of fastrack wherever possible. I'd also be slightly concerned about the ability of Studio's North to be able to work with Lionsgate to produce coherent and immersive attractions. Saw Alive lacks any form of coherence, and whilst is relatively well themed, doesn't tell a story; and that ones a permanent attraction. I don't expect too much.

BUT, on the plus side, it's a lot of new stuff to look forwards to, so, we shall see. I've learnt not to get my hopes up when it comes to Merlin's though.

Ben

CF Legend
silenthillXD said:
I mean Cabin in the Woods isn't exactly a horror film, I just don't see how it's possible to make a scare maze out of it.

Really? The movie where the concept involves every horror villain ever would be difficult to make a maze of? They could do anything and make it fit.

I could see how this would be cool, but, Thorpe.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
I know cabin in the woods has all the horror cliches but it wasn't a horror movie as such, it was more of a scifi thriller comedy, which I don't think will work all to well.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Checking through Mania Hub, lots of the members seem to think that the Blair Witch Project, may end up using the Canada Creek Railway train aswell, as far as I was aware the park still haven't sold them, and if it does make a comeback for Fright Nights I could easily see the park bringing it back in 2014 as it appears the theme park side won't be get anything new, and this will help with making the park more family friendly again.

Anyway I am really looking forward to this years Fright Nights, it's just a shame that The Curse most likely won't be returning as I really wanted to enter it this year as I've missed out on doing it for the last few years, and I also only hope this Lionsgate film/maze partnership is only for this season, as TP mazes were generally very good, and had better mixes of genre of horror and themes to the mazes.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Coasterfreck said:
Checking through Mania Hub, lots of the members seem to think that the Blair Witch Project, may end up using the Canada Creek Railway train aswell

I must admit, it would seem stupid to place a maze based on the Blair Witch anywhere else, after all the only indoors scene is right at the end of the film! I am actually cautiously optimistic for this maze, it has the best potential out of all of them to do something unique! It would seem odd if it was actor focused as the evil force in the film is never seen. Whilst I can't imagine how they are going to do this I am excited!

Oh and I just saw you're next last night, the roaming characters should be amazing, it was a really creepy film!

Lofty

CF Legend
^ You'll be mistaken if you think they'll achieve the conveying of horror and malice without actor input for the Blair Witch attraction - also, not to be pedantic, but, none of their attractions are/have been "Mazes" apart from The Asylum... Ha.

nadroJ

CF Legend
It's being BURDENOUS and not letting me pre-book my PMAP tickets yet. Stupid Thorpe.

Also, is it me or are there less Fright Nights dates this year? Last year opening night was a Friday and it was dead (no pun intended) and it was such a fab night, but this year they've decided to do it on a Saturday first, which means it'll be rammed? Stupid Thorpe.