Giga Poster
Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train (WC16) | Thorpe Park | May 2

Well this confirms the VR on GBGT!
cb7228740065fa7a12d6973b5bc7eaf5.jpg

f05678e2a9f38a0b4cb1c03fb08fcda2.jpg

Ben

CF Legend

That's literally been confirmed in the Press Release on the last page.

We then discussed it.

But thanks for the contribution.

Lofty

CF Legend

Joey said:
^ Any idea of the capacity? Sold out implies popular, but if it only takes 3 a day...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
No, no idea on capacity, but it was much higher than three people. I'd say probably around 50 or so a night? So still quite limited - that doesn't matter either way, it was very popular and they're hoping to do another at the end of this year for Halloween.

It's been mentioned that it's VR since Derren spoke about it and they mentioned developing the VR in the subsequent youtube videos?!

JoshC.

Strata Poster

VR was announced back in January with the name reveal.

the king

Mega Poster

Well, I was fortunate enough to go to Thorpe park yesterday and to be honest, the day was pants. Stealth broke down just when I went on it with my brother after lowering our harnesses, then the same thing happened with Nemesis Inferno, after waiting an hour as it was running on one train only. We got passes for any ride, but at that point in the day, the park was about to close so no point in using it. X wasn't open, Saw was closed for the first half of the day. The only rides I could get onto were Rumba Rapids, Quantum, Zodiac, Flying Fish, Depth Charge and the I'm a Celebrity Maze. It appeared many other people weren't happy and were thinking of complaining, but since it was friends and family day, I would let this whole experience slip as it is to allow the staff to train after all. Anyway, enough about that. I had a look around DBGT and I took some photos. The ride building looks very nice and is pleasant to look at. I especially like the ride entrance sign as it feels very professional and industrial. I was surprised about the size of the building though, as I thought it would be bigger, based upon what I read from other people's reports about the ride while it was in construction.

20160312_113256_zps5urwqqie.jpg

20160312_135753_zpsndhmz7hp.jpg

20160312_135829_zpsxvwr8yqz.jpg

20160312_135825_zpscww1py8h.jpg

20160312_113127_zpsjyliz0ly.jpg

20160312_113120_zpszm9pftfq.jpg

20160312_113216_zpsxuixytdu.jpg

20160312_113220_zpsw7uibswn.jpg

20160312_135710_zpsspumifwm.jpg

20160312_113110_zpsezavc6kr.jpg

20160312_113155_zpskokgfbq3.jpg

Ben

CF Legend

I like the sign and the entrance, that cattle pen though.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

All that money and they've only themed half the building. They haven't even bothered to try and hide the rest of it.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster

Personally, I think the building looks ****. I feel like a dark ride building needs to make guests go "ooh I wonder what's in there" whereas this seems like the sort of thing you would just pass by if you didn't know there was anything worthwhile inside. Maybe it's better in person.

spicy

Giga Poster

Yeah it doesn't look very creepy and abandoned.

The flooring bothers me, if you look at the third pic the king posted. They just stop with the new flooring and continues with the old. Still has those white spots not painted or anything just tarmac'd through :lol:

JoshC.

Strata Poster

I love the look of the depot. In person it really is quite something in my opinion. Don't think people will appreciate just how much effort has gone into it though. The sign is quite cool too.

Hopefully they can sort the paving out at some point as it is very patchwork right now. The queue seems to be pretty much as it was stated in the plans, and it's pretty much the best thing they could do with the place I reckon. It's a shame it couldn't have been something a bit more interesting, but we've got what we've got.

Sandman

Giga Poster

spicy said:
Yeah it doesn't look very creepy and abandoned.

The flooring bothers me, if you look at the third pic the king posted. They just stop with the new flooring and continues with the old. Still has those white spots not painted or anything just tarmac'd through :lol:

I mean, borded up windows, trashed signage, overgrown grass/weeds, occasional grimy brickwork... I think it sort of looks as abandoned as a fully functional, brand new building can get :p

I do get what you mean about that pavement though. I reckon a bit more foliage or even some fencing would mask that a bit more. Not a biggie though!

Martyn B

CF Legend

What's with the mixture of queue line fencing? There's nice wooden fencing, with added 7ft tall, ugly metal fencing..

Sandman

Giga Poster

^ I think it's supposed to give off that restricted/unauthorised access feeling. The wooden fence does look nice, and the metal fence IS ugly, but I kinda feel like that's part of the overall theme.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

It looks nicely done, as in presented, to me... But I have issues with theme park scenery so aesthetically similar to local real scenery. I just don't get the point. Theme parks are supposed to transport you to exotic lands, not recreate the mundane.

That queue though. For Christ sake...

People spend the majority of their day waiting in line - can we please, please... PLEASE put more design consideration into queueing?

Look at the queue design of Colossus, Tomb Blaster, Rattlesnake, Nemesis.. And we're reminded that queue line design was once a priority. And that's just naming the best in the company portfolio, there's many more which are also comparatively great. But recently all we get are cattlepens. It's just infuriating.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Sandman

Giga Poster

^ Thorpe is probably the worst candidate for uninteresting cattle pen queuelines. Especially since Saw debuted and thus began the phase of using industrial-looking queuelines complete with prison-esque metal fencing. And people say they're wise with their money (they pay to stand between those metal fences) :p

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Thope's queue design is no worse than the others. I personally think Dragon's Fury is one of the the worst queue lines in the WORLD, all things considered, and that opened under Tussauds... So we can't even blame Merlin.

But these crap Merlin park queuing areas are no worse than those found at Cedar Fair and Six Flags... Oftentimes they're better, actually. But that's besides the point. We used to get Colossus style queues and now we get Swarm style queues and that's not ok.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

But Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks aren't theme parks, these parks are! The Swarm, The Smiler, Th13teen, Rita, Saw and many more all have vile queue lines! It's such a shame.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sandman

Giga Poster

owentaylor121 said:
But Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks aren't theme parks, these parks are! The Swarm, The Smiler, Th13teen, Rita, Saw and many more all have vile queue lines! It's such a shame.

Exactly. Six Flags/Cedar Fair etc have a different mentality (or are supposed to compared to the traditional theme park) which is to invest in big rides and then advertise the big ride. With places like Towers, Thorpe, Chessington etc, you need to invest in a complete experience, which in my opinion isn't entirely what we're seeing. Corners are certainly being cut. And I'm not blaming Merlin, but I do think Merlin aren't adhering to what we expect from these parks. As much as rides like Swarm and Saw etc have been more thought-out in terms of design and theme, I still don't think we're seeing the same efforts made as was done back when Nemesis and Oblivion were the new rides on the block. Yet, Merlin's prices just keep on rising and almost to the point where it's just completely implausible for a family to spend a couple of hundred pounds for a 6-7 hour adequate experience.

coasterboy

Mega Poster

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/ThrillNation/posts/1033756840031407[/facebookpost]