What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

pitchnoir

Mega Poster
Haven't noticed a thread on this yet but if there is one then feel free to lock/delete/merge etc

Work on Thorpe Park’s next roller coaster / attraction looks set to start soon as work on the island next to The Swarm and behind Stealth looks to have had some work done to it recently. As shown on the map below the island is quite large meaning that this could possibly host a decent length. Whilst visiting the park on 23rd August 2014 we noticed that the park have recently cut the grass on the island and that cones can be found dotted around the island as photographed below. It would also appear that some trees down by Nemesis Inferno have been tagged up with ID numbers could this mean that the coaster will go down past the Nemesis Inferno maintenance area?
If the park follow what they have done in the past we will see plans appear via the conceal late November early December time and then ground works commencing the following year. With plans for a woody being scrapped for Saw The Ride a couple of years ago could this be the woody many enthusiasts have been waiting for. All of this is just speculation and nothing has been confirmed however when more information gets realised we shall publish it on our Facebook page and on the website. All images have been taken in public areas and must be credited where used.
http://www.themeparkguide.biz/news-page/24th-august-2014-work-starts-on-island-for-new-rollercoaster

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Re: Thorpe Park construction?

Hopefully it will be an Intamin pre fabricated woodie like El Toro and T Express. It would be perfect for the park and it would make everyone happy.

peep

CF Legend

Hmm, curious. I find it odd that anything would be done without the planning application first. Unless these markers are the first stages of some parts of that process?

I don't think it'll be a woodie, it's more than likely a hyper or something along those lines. Still, look forward to the plans being released.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

A B&M hyper would be fantastic but it might be even better if they went to Intamin for a wing coaster like Skyrush which could be 150ft or so but still very intense. A good B&M hyper would need to be 1. Taller than Maxi Pad Big One (it's about time Britain built something taller) and 2. Have an out and back layout like Behemoth and Shambhala as well as the same train type. They should look at Raging Bull as an example of how not to do a B&M hyper- good first drop but full of twists and trims.

STC

Mega Poster

We all know that the island next to The Swarm is where the next coaster will go, but cones and other random crap have been scattered around that site since The Swarm opened.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster

^^I doubt Thorpe would bother with an intamin wing coaster because erghhh... SWARM! Also I don't think it needs to be taller than the Big One, but probably would be to gain the record.

It wouldn't be my absolute first choice (probably third though), but I think a B&M Hyper is definitely the most likely viable option. If it's a B&M Hyper as good as Shambhala than I'll be ecstatic, but if it's more like the standard of the others I've ridden, it will only be the second best coaster in the UK :p

cjbrandy said:
Hopefully it will be an Intamin pre fabricated woodie like El Toro and T Express.

I WANT THIS!!!! :--D

Darren B

Giga Poster

Hate to ruin the excitement, but aren't the tags on the trees behind NI probably something to do with Fright Nights?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Darren B said:
Hate to ruin the excitement, but aren't the tags on the trees behind NI probably something to do with Fright Nights?

The old Fungle Safari site has been labelled as an area of expansion on the MTDP, so it's probably more to do with that...

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

CookieCoasters said:
^^I doubt Thorpe would bother with an intamin wing coaster because erghhh... SWARM! Also I don't think it needs to be taller than the Big One, but probably would be to gain the record.
The UK height record is complicated. A coaster needs to be 214ft tall to beat the Big One (213ft) but Pleasure Beach claim The Big One is 235ft tall because they measure from sea level rather than the ground of Pleasure Beach which means they could manipulate the general public into thinking The Big One still has the UK height record, even if the new coaster is between 214-234ft.

Edit: I accidentally said pmbo was 215ft when it's actually 213ft with a drop of 205ft.

Darren B

Giga Poster

Nemesis Inferno said:
Darren B said:

The old Fungle Safari site has been labelled as an area of expansion on the MTDP, so it's probably more to do with that...

Cheers for pointing that out.

If this genuinely is the start of the 2016 coaster then great. And with the area in which the markers are placed it rules out a woodie (which I'm pleased about because I'm hoping that Alton will go down that route), a woodie would easily fit on the island. The markers point to a Hyper which is great. If that's the case I'm hoping for B&M - high capacity, high reliability and great fun!

Darren B

Giga Poster

I could see it being an L shape going on the location of the island in comparison to NI. Although, they could take a driver out and back approach but that would mean cutting across behind stealth and over the rapids. Hopefully we'll have a layout early next year.

marc

CF Legend

I recon start on the island go to loggers using the old railway route then back again.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Mmmmm I want Merlin to go wooden, a B&M hyper would be spectacular, Shambhala is amazing but I just wood. BUT it's a gamble, will they make it ****? To be fair either of those possibilities would be fabulous but Jordan just wants more wood.

shawnoc

Mega Poster

I would love merl in to go down the woodie route, did they not put teaser photos of El Toro Six Flags Gt Adventure on their Facebook page a while ago? May they be looking at an out and back woodie instead of the GCI woodie planned for the Saw site.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

/\ There were teaser photos of El Toro and Behemoth on their fb page? That's very promising! Tbh I'll be slightly disappointed if their next major coaster is a looper rather than an airtime machine. A twisty GCI woodie like Thunderhead would have been pretty good but an out and back coaster of some sort will be better because it will focus on airtime.
The tallest wooden coaster is the new Goliath at sfgam at 180ft. If Merlin could build an Intamin pre fab taller, it would be expensive but they would have a world record and everyone knows Merlin love world firsts/world records.