What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Ready_23

Roller Poster
Re: Thorpe Park construction?

Well at least I was right about the dark ride even if the size was a bit overestimated, the ride is still going to be massive!

South Parks have added another article

Thorpe Park Resort has today submitted a full planning application for the building to house a first of its kind ‘indoor fully themed’ attraction for 2016.

Submitted plans detail how the attraction will consist of an external themed plaza and entrance features, fully themed building to house the attraction, covered queue lines, pre-show, retail outlet and back of house and service areas.

The main building housing the new attraction will cover an area of 5,000sqm and will stay within the 10m height limit set out in the current medium term development plan. However, some drawings submitted as part of the plans appear to suggest that the attraction will dig down below ground level within the building, therefore allowing the attraction within to have slightly more height. The entrance to the new attraction will consist of a feature sign leading to a covered queue area. A new feature theming element will also feature in a main plaza. Little is being given away in terms of the theme of the new attraction, however the submitted plans suggest a run-down theme with the exterior design of the buildings having a “warehouse themed appearance”, using similar finishes to other building in the park. The building will also comprise of a number of themed areas which will include graffiti art and painted wood.

As previously reported on SouthParks, the new attraction is set to be located on the site currently occupied by the arena, and is adjacent to X, Nemesis Inferno and the Amity Boardwalk building. It is also anticipated that a number of smaller ancillary attractions, including Chief Ranger’s Carousel and a number of games stalls, will also be removed as part of this development. As part of the construction the park will also provide a variety of new planting to compensate for any areas which are removed as part of the development.

These plans will now be put forward for consideration and consultation before a decision on whether to allow the project to go ahead will be taken towards the end of 2014 or beginning of 2015.

SouthParks will be keeping a very close eye on these latest plans and will keep you updated of all the latest developments. Why not discuss your thoughts on Thorpe Park Resort’s latest proposals over on our dedicated forum. Make sure you keep an eye on SouthParks.co.uk for all the latest news from the southern Merlin Parks.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

We're all well trained in the procedure now. Speculate, speculate, speculate. The proposed site is rather large so I think it could be something quite special.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Personally sceptical Merlin can make a large scale dark ride work, have to wait and see...

Probs won't be Spidey levels... I'd be happy with a Huntik or Maus au Chocolat level of ride, but I think it'll be Wonder Mountain Guardian levels of screens and nowt else... Which would be disappointing...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

25 shipping containers in a maze with a second hand crap drop tower at the end - called it ;)

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

I just don't feel like this will work for Thorpe, the audience the park has are there for big thrills, not dark rides, I personal have no intention of going back to the park just to try this out, I feel like the this is the wrong move for a place like Thorpe, but everyone is to the their own.

peep

CF Legend

I'm intrigued but the building design looks boring and far too similar to X and Saw.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team

I'm really enjoying speculating on what the I.P. for this dark ride will be. Thorpe's Fright Night tie-in with Lionsgate leads me to believe it may be The Hunger Games. The colours proposed in the development plan compliment the H.G. look, plus the final Hunger Games film will be released in 2016... perfect timing. It's a huge I.P., very popular with Thorpes teen/young adult market. Last year I read that various theme parks were competing for the rights to Hunger Games, this could be the result. As a massive Hunger Games fan, I will exode with happiness if this guess turns out to be true.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

How interesting!

It's not as big as everyone seems to think, though. The attraction boundary may be *nearing* 5000sm, but the building that houses both the station and the ride itself is about the same in floor space as X, but no where near the height.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Blurgh. Why couldn't they have just shut up and built a hyper :(

As it is, it's quite big, but nowhere near large enough to build a decent coaster, especially not with a launch. It's going to have to be heavily story-based which Thorpe aren't exactly known for.

The Hunger Games suggestion is really very interesting. I hope that turns out to be true as I reckon they'd make a complete cock-up of any Dr Who IP and that would be for a much younger audience anyway. What else could we have...a computer game IP? I've no idea what's popular atm for older teens.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

From what I can tell, the actual space occupied by the building is larger than the likes of Duel, so whatever it ends up being, it's still a mighty investment in terms of UK dark rides.

There's literally no indication as to what we're in store for, and Thorpe want to keep it that way. They'll give as little indication as to what is in the building even when you're queueing up (they've designed it so that you hopefully can't even hear the machinery for the ride when queueing up). So expect a lot of secrecy for the next year and a bit..

In terms of theme, really hard to tell from the limited plans we have. The main building kinda reminded me of an old train station... It'll be interesting to see if they do indeed go for the IP route though. And what's more interesting to me is who this'll be aimed at. Is it going to be a family ride for everyone? Or just a family ride suitable for anyone over 10, say? Whatever they decide, it'll tell us for certain exactly who Thorpe are aiming for now (which I personally think is still unclear right now...)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

JoshC. said:
From what I can tell, the actual space occupied by the building is larger than the likes of Duel, so whatever it ends up being, it's still a mighty investment in terms of UK dark rides.
Christ, really? I thought Duel was huge. Like, bigger than Tomb since its all one level?

Which begs the question, how big is Tomb? Maybe they just seem way way larger than they are?

I literally have no idea what this will be. I expected any new addition to Thorpe to be targeted at families with 6-12 year olds, but the scenery on the proposal is more like their existing stuff than that - like 12+? I'm glad though, as perhaps this demonstrates they aren't flip flopping like I was worried they might, though it does render Angry Birds even more irrelevant. That said, whilst it may not be explicitly aimed at attracting younger families, it wouldn't surprise me if it was still suitable for them.

What new gimmicky dark ride hardware is available ATM? Trackless? I'm worried this will be an elaborate version of that Legoland Haunted house with one of those bloody ABC drop rides, like the world needs another one of those.

The visual theming doesn't fit in with what surrounds it at all - well, it looks kind of like I the Asylum in theme, which is funny considering where its going... Maybe that's the point? Is this going to be something year round but that can be utilised and transformed easily during Halloween? It doesn't look like it could be in Canada or Calypso, which is a bit of a shame. Fairly certain that's just because a wearhouse is all that budget will allow, which on the one hand is clever use of funds and on the other somewhat repetitive and drab.

Mysterious Sue said:
I've no idea what's popular atm for older teens.
Irrelevant because they buy what's cheap not whats popular.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

All the problems with this attraction are in those 5 little words "a first of its kind" - I'd rather they did something tried and tested and good than wasting time and money on developing something new for the sake of it.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

That's exactly the problem. A dark ride doesn't need to be innovative, it needs to be first and foremost a good story. The fact they are pushing a world's first suggests they've already missed the point before they've started.

As for what's popular with older teens Joey, I was just trying to get a conversation going. I really have no idea what is even out there for them to buy-up IP-wise.

Also, in regards to the building exterior, you're still going to be able to see X looming up behind it so I guess they were restricted somewhat as to what would work. As well as the cost, obviously.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

Joey said:
JoshC. said:
Christ, really? I thought Duel was huge. Like, bigger than Tomb since its all one level?

Which begs the question, how big is Tomb? Maybe they just seem way way larger than they are?

Duel is still large; region of 1600-1800sqm I think and Tomb Blaster is about 1700sqm (they're all rough estimates). The building for this is around 2300-2400sqm, so it is relatively bigger. Tomb and Duel do really come across as bigger than what they are though, due to how they use the space. The building will also include a pre-show and shop though, which does take away from the actual ride space a bit I guess.

To those saying about it being a world's first - there's no confirmation of that! All that's been said in the plans is that it'll be a "unique themed attraction", which doesn't really say much (you could say Saw's unique for example). There's literally no indication as to what the building could hold, but it's very clear that Thorpe want it kept secret (and even when you're queueing up for the ride, they're hoping to ensure that any machinery used can't be heard). Fingers crossed the secret doesn't spill out!

pitchnoir

Mega Poster

To whoever suggested a Lionsgate IP. Highly doubtfull seeing as they are nearly at the end of the contract 2 out of 3 years was what was set for how long the IP's would run. So IMO, this could be a new theme altogether with no tie in, into anything.

Also on a side note if it were to be H.G themed then surely they would go for more of a futuristic theme and base it around the training they do etc, but then that wouldnt sit with anything in adjacent areas, as I know themeing is very random but in certain areas the theme does seem to flow from one "land" to another eg from N:I to ranger country etc..... but meh time can only tell to what this will include and what not, as it has already been said, speculation will be rife :wink:

shawnoc

Mega Poster

I have just looked through the planning aplication, I'm thinking this could be on the lines of the Hunger Games. The building looks like it could be like the reaping area from district 12. I did think it could have been Dr who but the graffit does not fit.
I can see the mocking jay tag over the brickwork.
I think that this could look great whatever the ride theme would be, but how will Mr monkeys boat look along side this. Also the old funnel Safari site could be a supporting ride the year after.
The thing with the hunger games is that it started out as a book series for young to later teens. It could work for both the old target market as well as families.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

shawnoc said:
I can see the mocking jay tag over the brickwork.

Do you have any evidence of this?

Although the HG IP would be very popular, I can't think of a way it would work with a dark ride. Maybe 24 people go in and kill each other off and the last person alive wins a 50% off voucher for a Flying Fish fast track.

shawnoc

Mega Poster

It's not anything I have seen or heard, it's more what I can imagine. Lol for the hg concept, thorpe may even give you a luxury vip shipping container to spend they day in if you won.
I could imagine that they would take you on jurney to get away from other people trying to kill you.

Ben

CF Legend

Hunger Games The Ride would actually be fab <3

I don't think it will be but it's not the craziest suggestion. Lionsgate do the films as well, who Thorpe are in with.