What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Thorpe Park construction?

I wouldn't worry about posting plans or naming sources on CF. Firstly, if a park isn't happy with something, they will contact me asking if I can remove it. Secondly, if you are using a pseudonym it can't be traced back to anybody in particular.

It can be annoying if the claims aren't backed up. I can't post things anonymously due to being Ian From CoasterForce but I'm sure if you sent the info to another member (like Darren B for example), he could post it on your behalf thus eliminating the risk.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Plus, haven't they just redone the bbq place? A minor thing but something you wouldn't do if it was going to be knocked down the following year.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Also the BBQ place is one of the only merlin owned restaurants at Thorpe, I doubt they would be removing that anytime soon! I could see them removing Burger king though, but considering they'd have to remove a ton of trees and vegetation to build a show building on the rumoured site, I really can't see them bothering. I think the only things that realistically would go on that site would be a coaster or a flat. Personally I think if they were building a dark ride anywhere it would go on the arena site, and possibly spread out into ranger country.

Ready_23

Roller Poster

Well the arena was what I heard originally but whether that isnt big enough for the plans?? Considering the rumours surrounding the ride it would need to be a big show building!

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

If they spread it out to ranger country that would be fine surely, and it's not like they can't easily move/replace the ranger county rides to fungle safari's site.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Thorpe Park construction?

The arena definitely has more available space than the area around studio 13/asylum. They would need to level the seating area but that would give them tons of space.
Without major removal of existing attractions/buildings there just isn't enough space on the safari site.

pitchnoir

Mega Poster

This i have just found on southparks/towerstimes, very sceptical and a heavy rumour but still somthing to keep the ball rolling so to speak, a pinch of salt is deff needed :)
Large Scale Development Underway at Thorpe Park

Thorpe Park Resort is preparing to break ground on its biggest new ride investment to date. Over the last few weeks many SouthParks community members have spotted various signs of a new development, including large amounts of tree clearance work around the remains of the Miss Hippo’s Fungle Safari ride. This preparation work is now accelerating with the removal of the seating in The Arena.

SouthParks have discovered some small details regarding this upcoming project. Set to open in 2016, the ride will be a heavily themed, Intellectual Property based “rollercoaster style” attraction. It is also believed by those familiar with the situation that the budget for the attraction will far exceed that spent on previous attractions in the UK.

Following lukewarm public reception to The Swarm, Thorpe Park Resort – along with its parent company, Merlin Entertainments – have started to shift the park’s target market away from purely thrillseekers and towards families with older children. With this in mind, the existing development plan, which called for a Rollercoaster similar in scale to The Swarm, has been revised. It is expected that this new ride will not feature such a heavy reliance on the ride hardware but instead focus on theming and storytelling for impact.

The size of this development is unprecedented and will result in the closure and redevelopment of the entire ‘Ranger County’ area of the park comprising of Chief Rangers Carousel, Mr Monkeys Banana Ride, Calypso/Backlot BBQ, The Arena, Studio 13 and the Nemesis Inferno shop. It is unknown at this point if any of the existing operating attractions in this area will be relocated elsewhere in the park.

more to be found here: http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/southparks/2014/10/18/large-scale-development-underway-at-thorpe-park/

Ready_23

Roller Poster

Was just about to post this :lol:

I guess it sort of ties in with my drawing earlier in the thread, guess it will probably still be shot down!

BDyRWUs.png

Although it would need to be extended to include the arena space as well.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

If anyone believes that they are clearly deluded, you could fit 2 full sized coasters in that space, no way would a park ride ever take up that much space in a park like Thorpe what is tight on space as it is.

Ready_23

Roller Poster

Surely it depends on the quality of the ride, from what I've heard, this will take dark rides in the UK to a new level!

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

A ride area larger than Inferno and Saw put together is just completely unrealistic in a park like Thorpe .

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Thorpe Park construction?

So we have a article by TT stating a ridiculous amount of space is needed to build the best dark ride in the UK, which would be nice, but unlikely due to the cost and space required.

Then we have Ready_23 who gave us a nice picture of the land being used for a dark ride, his prediction doesn't include the arena.

You get good info Ready, that's obvious, or you get hold of public info quicker, not really bothered how. But failing to cite sources and the "I'm right, doesn't matter what you think" attitude stinks. ;)

Ready_23

Roller Poster

Merlin are really going to go all out on this ride as they are worried about the paramount park taking aware the share they have in the market. The budget for this ride is upwards of £30m, not sure on the exact figure though.

Darren B

Giga Poster

They're scrapping the possibility of getting a B&M Hyper or an RMC (let's face it, either of the 2 were looking likely) - To build a coaster dark ride. **** ING ****.

The coasters they have built since 2007 are crap, Swarm being mediocre at best. They can't blame this on poor attendance, it's their fault they haven't been building decent coasters.

I really hope this dark ride goes tits up for them and the park ends up in the sewer. Morons.

Ready_23

Roller Poster

Darren B said:
They're scrapping the possibility of getting a B&M Hyper or an RMC (let's face it, either of the 2 were looking likely) - To build a coaster dark ride. **** ING ****.

The coasters they have built since 2007 are crap, Swarm being mediocre at best. They can't blame this on poor attendance, it's their fault they haven't been building decent coasters.

I really hope this dark ride goes tits up for them and the park ends up in the sewer. Morons.

They are just holding the plans to get a coaster back due to the restrictions. They arent allowed to build a Hyper as the height limit for the next coaster is 170ft. By building a dark ride it enables them to make a sizeable investment on a ride with an IP, allowing the next ride to have less restrictions as there will be a different development plan.

Jared

Hyper Poster

^ Slightly wrong. Thorpe can build upwards of 200ft from 2016 onwards, as part of the deal around Stealth with the council was nothing that high for 10 years...

Ready_23

Roller Poster

Jared said:
^ Slightly wrong. Thorpe can build upwards of 200ft from 2016 onwards, as part of the deal around Stealth with the council was nothing that high for 10 years...

Ah right didnt realise that, thanks for correcting me