What's new

Thorpe Park | Angry Birds | 4D Cinema/area retheme

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Problem with Thorpe (as I think someone may have already said) is it's simply too small to have distinct themed areas so they're just squeezing things in where they can meaning they're overlapping and shoddy. If they can't do anything else then ok, not the end of the world but plonking an Angry Birds area, which is supposed to be happy and jolly la dee da, in the middle of the Amity area which is simply a disaster area, I can't quite see Merlin's thinking but I'm sure they know what they're doing and it all works out in their little minds.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
But see the thing is, it makes no sense. They're adding a 'themed' land here, which shows that they want to keep some aspect of 'theme' but they're going about it by disecting the best themed area of the park. It's weird. Why they didn't just reutilise all the wasted space being taken up by the remains of fungle and ranger country I don't know. Surely a retheme + expansion of the only existing 'kids' area would have made more sense?

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I'm assuming you mean Neptune's Kingdom? That could actually work. The play area towards the Depth Charge end could be made to look 'Angry Birds' like. The only think is how would you make it into a non-summer attraction that is open all year...it needs thought but I 100% putting it so it dissects the Amity area is just daft.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Nah, Ranger Country was this bit:

RangerCountryAreaThorpePark.png

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Ahh, I didn't read that but :p the only problem with putting it there is it is out of the way and you'd have to retheme a fair amount, the carousel, the grill place there, probably the 'ranch' looking Burger King, it would take more effort on Merlin's part but if it works, why not inject the extra cash?

nealbie

CF Legend
spicy said:
Crazycoaster said:
UGH.

So now Amity is split in two? It's Tidal wave Amity, then suddenly angry birds land, then back to Amity again at stealth?

Yep, then again the land hardly flowed nicely through before anyway with Pirates 4D and Hungry Pirate restaurant before you got to the Stealth part of Amity. It just flows even worst now :lol:

I always considered them to be two different places: Amity itself (Tidal Wave/town area) and Amity Speedway (Stealth/out-of-town racetrack area). So for me this changes nothing, as you said, already split up.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
You can look at it both ways.

On the one hand Amity with Tidal Wave as a disaster area and then Amity Speedway, a completely unrelated racing themed area of the park.

The way I like to see it is you have the disaster area Amity with the tidal waves from Tidal Wave and then a little further in land you have Amity Speedway, which is unaffected by the disaster but is still run down like the Amity area itself. Having this split up with an Angry Birds area...hmmm, really? Think about it, that tsunami in Japan in 2011(?), terrible scenes on the coast, then imagine a kiddy play park, completely unaffected, full of green and trees with new structures etc, and then a run down speedway? Man I am putting WAY too much into this XD

insanecoastervids

Hyper Poster
I hate how all you Brits fight about every single new addition added to your parks. this is a nice addition to the park, and you should not complain.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
^No-one is complaining about the additions to the park, I think everyone is happy that the dodgems are being added, and that the 4D is reopening. It's just the theming being plonked in the middle of an already extensively themed area. And the fact that it's a pretty poor IP.

Imagine BGT sticking a My Little Pony land in between the rapids and Kumba, pink fluffy unicorn themed dodgems, mmmm, wonderful.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
delpiero1982 said:
Imagine BGT sticking a My Little Pony land in between the rapids and Kumba, pink fluffy unicorn themed dodgems, mmmm, wonderful.
If it did, I'd be booking my tickets now!

Anyway, we like to whinge over here. When all the additions you get nationwide are a couple of kiddy creds, everything becomes a big deal and ends up being discussed in great detail.

Plus, Merlin can't do dodgems
Plus the Angry Birds IP sucks and doesn't suit Thorpe

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Mysterious Sue said:
Anyway, we like to whinge over here. When all the additions you get nationwide are a couple of kiddy creds, everything becomes a big deal and ends up being discussed in great detail.

Plus, Merlin can't do dodgems
Plus the Angry Birds IP sucks and doesn't suit Thorpe

Eh?

Second bit is true though, and the major issue, Joey put it very well earlier, and it doesn't really need repeating...

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Crazycoaster said:
Nah, Ranger Country was this bit:

RangerCountryAreaThorpePark.png
I am not really a fan of Angry Birds, so don't think this will appeal to me. Dodgems are bringing the park back into it's family market feel, which continues to give me the idea that they will install a Mack Mega Coaster or a coaster that is more suited for family guest.
Ah but why does my badly edited image comes back to haunt me, for my proposal of the size of space they had in the ranger county area of the park.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Looked at the plans for the first time, I'm quite happy that the area will be contained by new entrances. At the moment there are no obvious boundries for Thorpe's different areas, this addresses this. Ok, so it's not for the good of theme, it's not-so-subtle advertising.

I think they missed a trick not fully incorporating the teacups in the theme. At the moment they're out on a limb. The Tetley sponsorship is probably what's holding them back but it would have been another ideal family ride to include in the rebrand.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I've never understood the criticism of Thorpe not having defined themed lands. I dunno why it matters. It's like an enthusiast said it one day and everyone else started parroting it.

I looked at the plans the other day, it looks how I expected it would. It'll be nice to have things rejigged in new locations, but the theming is going to be shiny fiberglass, out of context, off the shelf-looking tat. It's going to stick out like a sore thumb, for better or worse. The'll be so little theming alterations that it will look temporary and just like decorations for an event. So you'll have Thorpe's both stylistically and nature grungy, weathered-ness and then shiny fiberglass bright coloured birds and blocks and...

It's going to look lie absolute ****. And it won't help the family market issue it's striving to solve.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Now my opinion of the angry birds land me being a fan of Thorpe Park from when I went for the first time last year. Now because the target audience is for teenagers and Chavs angry birds is not particularly the best thing. I'd say it's more Merlin's excuse to reopen the 4d cinema that was originally going to hold vengeance from London dungeon and also there's going to be a angry birds film in the future so no point really. In my opinion the dodgems would be good just as normal dodgems for example adventure island dodgems are very good and is for a good time. Another thing with this being Merlin's excuse to make thorpe a family park it might not work as such. Also detonator having a retheme yes it's good they want to keep their old rides fresh but why turn a 1.4 ride into an angry birds ride the little can't ride it. One last thing it's going to be an ear sore that you are going to hear from different areas of the park as it is in the middle they're pretty much destroying amity cove by putting angry birds there tbh angry birds should not be at Thorpe Park more at chessington or lego land.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
jj23w said:
also there's going to be a angry birds film in the future so no point really.
There's also a Lego Movie out next week but I don't think Merlin will be pulling Spellbreaker 4D from the Legoland parks because of it!