What's new

Thorpe Park 2012 Updates

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Thorpe Park said:
After careful consideration, we have made the decision to restrict the 2012 opening days of SAW Alive to just the Fright Nights period. We are sorry for any disappointment that this may cause but we are excited at the prospect of working on the attraction to ensure that when it returns over the Halloween period it will truly live up to it's description as the world's most extreme live action horror maze.

That may be part of the "Selected Dates Only" thing but here it is anyway.

Coasterfreck

Hyper Poster
Thekingin64 said:
That's what I just posted! Anyway, it was open a couple of weeks ago for Easter.
Yep, and now we have to wait until Fright Nights :p :--D :twisted:
It was quite a boring attraction anyway! :--D

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
It's all psycholocial. For me, it was my first scare attraction and didn't quite know what to expect. I found it pretty good.

Will

Strata Poster
Now that, interestingly, I think is actually a change for the best - they might actually put some effort into it at Halloween, whereas all year round, it was too much hassle relative to how popular it was with guests.
And let's face it, a scare attraction that doesn't faze me in the slightest can hardly call itself a scare. Or an attraction.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Good move IMO. Saw Alive definitely was a 'once per visit' attraction if there ever was one.

In fact, I'd happily never go on it again, sames goes for Storm Surge too.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Does nobody see this as really stupid though? Like, they've built a whole permanent queue area and a permanent attraction, which they assumedly spent a bit more money on than their other Halloween attractions (just guessing here, I don't actually know) to turn around a year later and go, actually, this is going to be closed for 11 months of the year.

Riiiiggghhhhtttt.

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ Well, they tried it, and it hasn't worked for them. They've already spent the money on it, so it would be cheaper for them to leave it and use it for halloween, than demolish it.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Off topic, but did anyone notice the Detonator theme music from Heide Park (Scream) has now been changed back to the old tune... I liked the new one :(

Will

Strata Poster
As it happens, I did notice - I'd missed the 'classic' Detonator music the last few seasons, so made me feel quite nostalgic hearing it again, countdown and all :)

As for the Saw maze - it was a mistake, and I reckon we all saw that coming as long ago as 2009. Making it a permanent temporary attraction (if that makes sense, which it doesn't :p ) is probably the simplest way of making the best of it - it's going to get more attention in October and, as I said, maybe the park will put considerably more effort into it than last season. Waste of money? Perhaps, but opening it all year will only waste MORE money, and it's not exactly taking up any useful space. For now.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Old Det music is much, much superior and fitting in comparison to Scream's (which is good, but works a lot better for it's intended ride)...

bladeboy

Roller Poster
It's a bit of a backfire considering the money they've spent. But shame really - I was in the park on Sunday and my brother and flatmate said it was their favourite ride after Stealth. I think it's got a lot of re-rideability because you obviously get scared differently everytime. It was relatively busy on Sunday come to think of it - I reckon I queued between 10-15 minutes both times which was pretty standard considering Swarm was a walk-on the first time I went on it. I get why they've done it in terms of money but they obviously didn't think it through properly when they built it in the first place.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
How much did it actually cost though? I'm purely guessing, but I would've thought it was a lot cheaper than even a medium-sized ride. The major expense is the running costs, so they're not losing out by shutting it down after a couple of years of "successful" operation.

All round good move if you ask me.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Random question but... I know the height limit is 300ft. So what's stopping them from building a 200ft drop tower for 2013 (as an example)? What am I missing?