What's new

Thirteen or Gold Rush; which of the UK’s family trick track Intamins do you prefer?

Thirteen or Gold Rush; which of the UK’s family trick track Intamins do you prefer?

• Gold Rush at Drayton Manor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. This year, Drayton Manor has opened its biggest roller coaster in years; Gold Rush. This Intamin family coaster contains both a lift hill and a launch and encapsulates switch track technology to allow it to travel both forwards and backwards and give it the highly unique quality of offering more than one potential cycle! Gold Rush is not the only UK Intamin family coaster to encapsulate switch track technology to send riders both forwards and backwards, however; Thirteen at Alton Towers has also been doing this for the last 14 years! Being the first drop track coaster in the world, it uses switch tracks to its advantage, allowing riders to experience both a fun forwards section through the forest and a brilliant backwards section following the drop track! With this in mind, I’d be interested to know; of the UK’s Intamin family coasters with trick tracks, do you prefer Gold Rush or Thirteen?

Personally, I’ve only ridden Thirteen out of the two so far, but will be doing Gold Rush in just under two weeks’ time. I actually really like Thirteen; I think it’s a great coaster! The first drop is really good, particularly if you’re sat towards the back of the train, there are some fun little bits of airtime in the twisty forest section, and then the drop track and backwards section are brilliant and never fail to make you laugh! Whether Gold Rush will top that or not, I don’t know, but I’m certainly interested to give it a go and find out on 5th September!

But I’d be keen to know; do you prefer Thirteen or Gold Rush?

That's a tough one. There's really not much between them to be honest, both rides are... fine, I guess? Being new, Gold Rush obviously has more of a novelty value at the moment. However, Th13teen is still the (marginally) more thrilling of the two.
No disrespect to Gold Rush - it's a perfectly acceptable, well presented family coaster and it seems a bit mean to rate Th13teen above it... but I can't deny it, Gold Rush is a pretty tame experience overall.

Thirteen.

Gold Rush is the best overall package ride at Drayton, but it lacks a stand out moment. I felt it needed a tad more thrill somewhere in the layout.

With Thirteen, the outdoor section isn't anything special, but the drop track and underground section are great.

Not ridden Gold Rush yet, though I do plan to get there next month.

I suspect Thirteen will still win this on grounds of theming and how much I like it at night.