What's new

Theme Parks in Snow

Mark

Strata Poster
There is something about a quiet theme park in the snow that I think is beautiful. Coaster track looks particularly nice. Given that most theme parks are off season closed when the snow comes (particularly in the UK – no idea about overseas) it can be hard to get pictures of it all unless the park puts some out there. I'm quite lucky that I live close enough to one that is pretty visible from outside the park.

So yeah, here is a topic to share some pictures of theme parks in the snow…

The Archelon looks sick of the snow :p
IMG_0826.jpg

Green Scream track just looks cool covered in Snow
IMG_0827.jpg

The station all snowed in…
IMG_0830.jpg

RAGE!
IMG_0831.jpg

And then the snow stopped again, then it started again, then it stopped again and then it started again…
IMG_0833.jpg

Some guys were clearing the roof of the dodgems
IMG_0834.jpg

The Lighthouse Slip and the Dragons Claw
IMG_0835.jpg

Kiddie Koasta and Dragon (in its new home)
IMG_0843.jpg

Rides
IMG_0844.jpg

Fancy a race?
IMG_0845.jpg

Rage again
IMG_0847.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
My favourite one of those is the last one. I like how the snow appears to 'fade' in and out on the loop and the track approaches the vertical. Very cool.

I don't have any examples myself, but I always think theme parks in the snow have the same strange appeal that abandoned (be it off-season or closed) parks have as there's something about them being quite and silent. We're so used to parks being busy, lively, loud, moving etc, that when we see them quiet and silent it's quite strange. I can only imagine how strange it must be to actually visit a park when it's quiet like that.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Here in the US most of the parks (except the ones in the southern states (and I think in southern California)) tend to close in the winter.

ThemeParkObsessive

Roller Poster
Mark said:
There is something about a quiet theme park in the snow that I think is beautiful. Coaster track looks particularly nice. Given that most theme parks are off season closed when the snow comes (particularly in the UK – no idea about overseas) it can be hard to get pictures of it all unless the park puts some out there. I'm quite lucky that I live close enough to one that is pretty visible from outside the park.

Woah! They truly are some wonderful shots! :)

Ben

CF Legend
I've been on a coaster in the light snow, but, I can't for the life of me remember what it was. It was nothing very exciting, but, still, SNOW.

They are very pretty though. Snow is still **** though.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Nice pictures!

Tivoli Gardens was great in the snow, even though I had to wear about 5 layers.

A

Anonymous

I've been on oblivion at Alton towers and twirling toadstool, both in the snow in Feb 2010

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
That one of Saw is awesome!
Yeah there was light snow when I was at Alton last February. Didn't get any decent pictures though, sorry.

mouse

Giga Poster
Air in heavy snow is brilliant, especially on the fly to lie as it all goes on to your face.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I went to Alton in the snow once, my ex-boyfriend went on the Splash Battle and froze the whole way home hahaha.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
One of the most famous pictures of TTD in the snow;

1206702461_f09171b96a.jpg

Cedar Point's Corkscrew covered in snow;

corkscrew_winter_1600x1200.jpeg

Colossus in the snow;

18847_262894085866_27217550866_4855246_5551893_n.jpg

And last but not least...... X - SECTOR!!!!!!!!! Knee deep in down.

1289083242_75acd360b6_z.jpg

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Been on coasters at Nasu Highland with a foot of snow on the ground and active snow part of the day. The three years I worked at 6FGAm, the hiring/rehire/training process started with snow on the ground.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Pokemaniac said:
TusenFryd has an entire Facebook album just for that sort of thing:

Weren't they taken in like July or something? And where are the Polar Bears??? ;)

I've been to Alton a few times in the snow, but I've not got many photos (mostly because it was so cold I couldn't operate a camera). Lots of the buildings in flurries, that kind of thing.

Tomatron and Rach came with us to Twin Lakes a couple of years back and it came down really heavy. I think they may have done the Caterpillar Coaster in the snow. I did the Icarus Flier and it was horrendous in a heavy snow fall. It was fantastic to see the staff still running rides though. I seem to remember that being a drive home I'd rather forget :lol: