What's new

Theme Park Resorts

Waffleman

Mega Poster
I'd assume most of you to agree that the theme park industry is bigger than it's ever been, and it's only getting bigger. Because of this it is very rare to find a successful theme park without them sticking a hotel on the side and calling it a "Resort". It seems like a good way of both making a further profit and providing guests with more facilities, but especially in British theme park "resorts", I always feel as if they are just trying to get a bit more money from it, rather than broadening their facilities.

Lofty

CF Legend
I kind of don't understand what this topic is about though? I understand where you're coming from, but, I don't understand what this topic is for exactly?

Yes, there's more Hotels/Camping being built at the moment, but yeah, just why as to there's a topic, I don't know?

Waffleman

Mega Poster
-lofty- said:
I kind of don't understand what this topic is about though? I understand where you're coming from, but, I don't understand what this topic is for exactly?

Yes, there's more Hotels/Camping being built at the moment, but yeah, just why as to there's a topic, I don't know?

I just wanted to know your opinions on it happening, if it's always a good thing or not.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Waffleman said:
I always feel as if they are just trying to get a bit more money from it, rather than broadening their facilities.

It`s both, broadening their facilities to make more money. I don't care for park hotels in the UK really as they cost too much and I don't mind travelling long distances in one go, there are 1 or 2 parks I need hotels for, but Ill always use local hotels over the in park ones.
The only one that interests me is Alton`s but that`s not exactly new, and Alton is only a couple of hours away from me so I doubt i`ll ever use it.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Apparntly Legoland are building the hotel for this year. No other news though, other than the rebranding.

Lofty

CF Legend
Gulliver's as a brand are now becoming "Resort's" too, due to the addition of overall accommodation, I'm not sure about the Matlock park, but I know that Milton keynes and Warrington, both have accommodation now.

I think it's a great thing, I really do, I don't understand why people complain, surely it's a good thing that park's are now seeing that repeat customers are fantastic and offering accommodation at the side of the park is only a good thing.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I just see it as pointless though. No UK park, apart from (arguably) Alton Towers, warrants more than a one day visit.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^Of course, but by building a hotel (maybe a restaurant, etc) and calling the place a resort it conjures the image of a holiday, or at least a long weekend, destination. I think it's quite a clever bit of marketing to get people to shell out a bit more money, stay in the area and probably bring more money to other local businesses too, because out of sheer boredom of the one place they're staying at (Drayton Manor, for example) people will be forced to look elsewhere in the area for something to do.

I like the idea of resorts, but to me I don't think bunging a hotel in the car park of a theme park counts as one? To me a resort needs to offer a bit more than that.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Depends though, in some instances the accomodation can serve to help boost local attractions too. Someone with too much money might stay at the hotel at BPB and whilst there go up the Tower, few other amusements etc...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, I get it from the park's perspective, but who's actually stupid enough to stay at these places?

Smithy

Strata Poster
In most cases, people with a bit too much money and a not quite enough motivation to find cheaper alternatives.

Lofty

CF Legend
caffeine_demon said:
gavin said:
^I just see it as pointless though. No UK park, apart from (arguably) Alton Towers, warrants more than a one day visit.

I'd happily spend 2 or 3 days at BPB!
Wow! Seriously? I genuinely think it's a 1 day park, the only reason to stay over another day is simply for the rest of Blackpool.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Honestly I think the only company (hosting amusement parks) to create an environment which warrants a resort-style development is Disney. Even parks I would consider spending a couple days at don't really need a hotel associated with the park in my opinion. The atmosphere and shear abundance of things to do in and surrounding Disney parks makes it a convenient and realistic option for people vacationing. Universal Orlando is also up there especially with the Wizarding World.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I personally think BPB is a 2 day park, especially when its busy. Maybe not a 2 day for us lot, as we know all the ins and outs etc, but for the GP, I'd say its a 2 day park.

marc

CF Legend
Legoland is a 2 day park due to the stupid queues they get as the attractions are so low capacity. The park is a rip off so why not build a hotel and rip people off more.

Saying that the pictures from the hotel look very nice.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
I think its really only necessary to build one if they have more than one park. I ve never been to a park that would take more than a day to get all the good coasters in. Places like Universal and Disney require hotels as part of the experience and because they usually have more than one park in the area. I could see Busch Gardens Tampa building one as they just opened there new water park.

As for Thorpe I don't really see the need for one, when i visited i got on all the good rides (and re rides) and was gone by 4. They could probably still make money off of it but I wouldn't stay in it. Themed Resorts tend to be really over priced :/