What's new

The UK "Partygate" Scandal

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I think there was merit in having some rules. It was a huge ‘unknown’ at first instance, unlike now.

The issue is two-fold:

1) Some people unfortunately faced severe personal hardship in being forced to obey rules (such as not being allowed to see dying friends and family). That’s not to belittle our collective suffering, which was nevertheless gruelling. So where those that set the rules were not actually following them, it can be a very emotive issue for many, understandably.

2) The subsequent dishonesty is maddening.

But I’m not at all surprised. I’m still numb from the whole ‘proroguing of Parliament’ fiasco. That still strikes me as the absolute worst thing that has happened ‘politically’ during my adult life. For those who are not familiar, this was the use of powers (unlawfully) to suspend Parliament with the obvious aim of forcing through an outcome without Parliamentary scrutiny. Yet, as Brexit is such a horrible and traumatic subject for everyone, on all sides of the fence(s), nobody wants to dissect that mess and it’s all under the rug, but a distant memory. Meanwhile, it still makes me feel a bit ill.

Edit: oh god, if you are a real sucker for feeling angry read on…. I had forgotten this bit:

Johnson's speech and conduct was criticised by opposition MPs, who alleged his choice of words were fuelling threats of violence against politicians. Labour MP Paula Sherriff said parliamentarians were routinely receiving death threats using language such as "surrender" and "betrayal", and asked Johnson to moderate his language, especially in the context of the June 2016 murder of Jo Cox.[81]Johnson prompted heckles of "shame" when he responded to Sherriff's comments that he "had never heard so much humbug in [his] life". Sherriff's request for moderated language was repeated by Cox's constituency successor Tracy Brabin; Johnson declined and elicited further anger when he told Brabin that the best way to "honour the memory" of Cox would be to "get Brexit done".

😱 he is absolutely shameless.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I think there was merit in having some rules. It was a huge ‘unknown’ at first instance, unlike now.

The issue is two-fold:

1) Some people unfortunately faced severe personal hardship in being forced to obey rules (such as not being allowed to see dying friends and family). That’s not to belittle our collective suffering, which was nevertheless gruelling. So where those that set the rules were not actually following them, it can be a very emotive issue for many, understandably.

2) The subsequent dishonesty is maddening.

But I’m not at all surprised. I’m still numb from the whole ‘proroguing of Parliament’ fiasco. That still strikes me as the absolute worst thing that has happened ‘politically’ during my adult life. For those who are not familiar, this was the use of powers (unlawfully) to suspend Parliament with the obvious aim of forcing through an outcome without Parliamentary scrutiny. Yet, as Brexit is such a horrible and traumatic subject for everyone, on all sides of the fence(s), nobody wants to dissect that mess and it’s all under the rug, but a distant memory. Meanwhile, it still makes me feel a bit ill.

Edit: oh god, if you are a real sucker for feeling angry read on…. I had forgotten this bit:

😱 he is absolutely shameless.
Again, I agree with this too. Particularly during the first wave. That would have been absolutely catastrophic in this country without any action. But it's the rules further down the line that made no sense whatsoever, here's just a couple of corkers... Can anybody remember any others?

Pubs can open, but only until 10 - I get the idea behind it, discourage late night drunkenness and the loss of inhibitions that go with that... But it just made people start earlier, and then head off back to house parties.

Regional Lockdowns - Leading to people at opposite ends of the same street having different rules

However, some other rules made a lot of sense, and helped a lot... All the rules of the first lockdown surely helped reduce transmission. Rule of 6 and table service in pubs must have helped reduce transmission, and operationally, worked really well from my position inside the industry. Outdoor trading, should have been the first step after the first lockdown!!! And could have allowed hospitality to open sooner!

Christian

Hyper Poster
Not sure if this is being lost across the media internationally, but partying during the lockdown is "partygate". At any other time, the parties would have just been mildly inappropriate, but as there were national LAWS preventing that sort of gathering, it's simply indefensible.

That's what I said. Him breaking his own laws is indefensible.