What's new

The TV we watch...

peep

CF Legend
I gave Bojack Horseman another go at the weekend. I just can't get into it. Archer is amazing though and definitely develops as the seasons go on (can't wait for the next one).

I recently caught up with my guilty pleasure, Nashville. It's absolutely rubbish but the songs are good and it has some good amusing moments amongst the predictable plots.

I've also been watching Agent Carter because we finally got it here in the UK. It's been great but I think the next ep is the final. Then there will be an agonising wait for season 2.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Ben

CF Legend
Bojack is amazing and so clever and speaks so well to the experience of modern society and celebrity culture.

Archer is epic as well, I'm getting through season 3 now.

Arrested Development is great as well, you're so picky!

Daredevil was **** amazing though. Can't wait for season two!

I don't think you'll like Orange is the New Black bae, I don't see it being very you. It's awesome and I love it, but I don't know how you'll get on with it. Try it, but don't expect to adore it.

Did you ever try House of Cards?

Darren B

Giga Poster
Ben said:
Bojack is amazing and so clever and speaks so well to the experience of modern society and celebrity culture.

Archer is epic as well, I'm getting through season 3 now.

Arrested Development is great as well, you're so picky!

Daredevil was **** amazing though. Can't wait for season two!

I don't think you'll like Orange is the New Black bae, I don't see it being very you. It's awesome and I love it, but I don't know how you'll get on with it. Try it, but don't expect to adore it.

Did you ever try House of Cards?

Nah, haven't see house of cards.

Orange is the new black is ok, I'm not going to write it off yet. I really enjoyed watching 'Bad Girls' as a kid when it was on ITV so I'm hoping this will be similar. I absolutely LOVED the American Pie reference from Jason Biggs in the first episode <3

Ben

CF Legend
I got really bored of House of Cards near the end of season one, but I think it was because I was watching the amazing Scandal at the same time and it was too much of the same. I think you'd get on well with it but all of my suggestions you've hated cause your taste is unpredictable <//3

What about American Horror Story did you try that?

OINTB is similar to Bad Girls but obviously because it's American it hasn't got that amazing early 2000s ITV/C4 campiness to it things like Bad Girls, Footballers Wives and At Home With The Braithwaites had (ie, the pinnacle of UK TV), which I'm obviously presuming is the reason you like it.

It is amazing but it's very theme and issue heavy - racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia etc that might turn you off (cause that's why Bojack is amazing!) See how you get on, I love it, Red is amazing and my life <3

mouse

Giga Poster
Hunted on Channel 4 anyone? Its a reality show in which people have to go on the run for 28 days without being caught by a team of ex police detectives and the sort. It is genuinely thrilling and very tense, unexpected for a reality show - and it does seem very real. It also brings up questions about surveillance, as the people being hunted have all of their internet accounts (including banks) and history hacked, as well as their houses being searched. The hunt-ees were genuinely distressed by a lot of this and took the game very seriously. Brilliant, would definitely recommend :).

I also began to watch The X Factor, but it instantly made me vomit so I had to turn it off. Why do they all sing like they are holding in a turd?

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
peep said:
I gave Bojack Horseman another go at the weekend. I just can't get into it. Archer is amazing though and definitely develops as the seasons go on (can't wait for the next one).

I recently caught up with my guilty pleasure, Nashville. It's absolutely rubbish but the songs are good and it has some good amusing moments amongst the predictable plots.

Nashville shouldn't be a guilty pleasure, it's amazing! In what way do you think it's rubbish? Like, every episode makes me cry...And the soundtrack is brilliant.

Bojack Horseman is my fave show at the moment. The script has so much word play and puns. Then there's the really poignant moments that come out of nowhere. It's the best animated comedy in a long time I think.

Guess we just have opposing tastes!

peep

CF Legend
Nashville is just very, soapy, but with a bigger budget and cast and awesome songs. The plots are usually quite ridiculous and predictable. I suppose you could say it's the new Dallas?

I read good recommendations for two shows so gave them a go at the weekend. First was Rick and Morty, another odd comedy from Dan Harmon. I don't love it but I can't stop watching it, it's just really enjoyable. Has some brilliant puns at times and has made me lol quite often.

Line of duty which I missed when broadcast on BBC was intense and the plot twists were brilliant. Just an excellent piece of writing. The way you never know what really happened and the way characters change the more you see of them is fantastic, always keeps you guessing.

I also gave the first ep of Battlestar Galactia a go. I'm really not sure what I think of it. Will give the rest of it a go to see if it's a grower.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
peep said:
I also gave the first ep of Battlestar Galactia a go. I'm really not sure what I think of it. Will give the rest of it a go to see if it's a grower.

It's a really slow burner to be honest. The first half dozen episodes I watched really distractedly (on phone, making cuppas, etc.). Then suddenly it started to grab.

Once it does, it's superb. It's the only TV series every to bring a tear to my eye, and it did it at least three times. You become really invested in the characters and it doesn't hold back with tragedies. The way it then twists and turns and unfolds is brilliant. Well worth the time breaking into it.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
^All I've heard about that programme is negative but I actually quite enjoyed it. I know it wasn't completely true to how it actually happened but "real-life" TV and movies rarely are.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Three episodes in on 'Ballers' which is on Sky Atlantic.

Quality show focusing on Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson who is a former NFL player and has no money (first couple episodes touch on how no one cares about ex-NFL players once they're retired), is now trying to establish himself as a finance manager for current NFL players to stop blowing all their money and obviously as a business for him.

Trying to get them to buy into his way and calm themselves down instead of blowing everything is challenging, as well as their mates sponging off them who obviously don't want to see a reduction in spending as they're living their lavish lifestyle off their friends success.

It's a really fast paced show, comedy drama, with plenty of titties too which gives it a 5/5 for me!

peep

CF Legend
Just binged through the TV series of Scream.

I love the films so was intrigued by this. It's ok. Has some nice ideas in there but it's generally a bit too dragged out. Oh and the script/acting is very poor.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Watched the first two episodes of Ash Vs Evil Dead last night.

I love the first two films (the originals) and the series is more of the same cheesy horror fun. Bruce Campbell is a legend and plays a brilliant "love to hate" anti-hero. Very silly, great fun and utterly pointless. What's not to like? :)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
South Park this season has just crushed it like they never have before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

peep

CF Legend
tomahawk said:
South Park this season has just crushed it like they never have before.

Yes! So much awesome in this season. Makes me sad to think this week's episode is the last one. There's a lot of story to wrap up.

Binged through The man in the high castle yesterday. It was good, the acting was fantastic. However that ending made me mad, I can only assume there's a season 2 in the works?

I've also started watching Mr Robot which I'm really enjoying.

Jessica Jones wasn't as great as Daredevil. For me the whole season story was told in the wrong order, flashbacks were too late in the run and it felt like characters were changing between episodes, rather than growing over time. It was weird. I've seen people say elsewhere that they loved the blues/jazz soundtrack but for me the main title music and the first half of ep 1 felt more like an elaborate theme a student would make when doing an homage to film noir, just didn't work for me -not to mention that this sort of music and theme kept disappearing and re-appearing throughout the series, just the whole thing felt inconsistent.

mouse

Giga Poster
Recently I've been binge watching Louis Theroux documentaries on Netflix, they are all excellent and he is brilliant.

AirtimeFreak

Mega Poster
^^ Love a bit of Louis Theroux! They may be old but still so good!

Making a Murderer on Netflix has been me for the past few days. If you're in the states you probably know all about the case of Steven Averey, but I'd never heard of him or his case before, it is absolutely incredible! Got 2 episodes to watch and I'm chomping at the bit to find out what happens! Wont spoil it for anyone but this is an amazing documentary series about corruption and wrongdoing, definitely worth spending 10 hours of your life watching this.