What's new

The Stone Cold Sleeping Bag Poll

How do you pack away you sleeping bag?

• I roll it up neatly before putting it in the bag.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I stuff it back in the bag.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
iancfscpoll.JPG

stonecoldsleepingbagpoll.JPG

Stuff it.

If you roll it, the fibres in the stuffing will be bent and stretched the same way each time. That way, it will soon start to be "uneven", as in, fibres gather in lumps instead of being evenly distributed within the stuffing. Each time you roll it back in the same postition, the fibres curl into these lumps, while it gets thinner other places. That is bad for insulation.

When you stuff, you even out these lumps before they start to form. You should not store a sleeping bag when compressed, though. Same as with rolling, you don't allow it to "puff up" again after compressing it. Ideally, it should only be in is cover when you are moving it, and be hung up - rolled out and stored in a large paper bag to absorb moisture - when it's not in use.

I tend to stuff it, and roll it out as soon as I get home. Let it dry and "rest" for a few days, then stuff it loosely back in the cover for storage.

Pokemaniac said:
Stuff it.

If you roll it, the fibres in the stuffing will be bent and stretched the same way each time. That way, it will soon start to be "uneven", as in, fibres gather in lumps instead of being evenly distributed within the stuffing. Each time you roll it back in the same postition, the fibres curl into these lumps, while it gets thinner other places. That is bad for insulation.

When you stuff, you even out these lumps before they start to form. You should not store a sleeping bag when compressed, though. Same as with rolling, you don't allow it to "puff up" again after compressing it. Ideally, it should only be in is cover when you are moving it, and be hung up - rolled out and stored in a large paper bag to absorb moisture - when it's not in use.

I tend to stuff it, and roll it out as soon as I get home. Let it dry and "rest" for a few days, then stuff it loosely back in the cover for storage.

Well well well. I certainly LOLd anyway.

I usually roll mine. But if I get annoyed that it won't fit then it just stuff it in and leave the end out a bit if necessary. :p

^^^Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. I own three sleeping bags myself (for different temperatures), and spend around 20 nights a year sleeping in one. Not much compared to other guys in my scout group, but then again, I got the stuff-it info from them.

When I saw what this topic was about, I thought I was going to have to give the lecture, but Pokemaniac has saved me the trouble. Always stuff.

And if you have a decent sleeping bag it should be easier to stuff anyway.

I just stuff it in. I don't use it enough to bother putting it in properly, it's too much effort.

Also, which park is that Go Gator in? If he got on the one at FL I WILL kill him.

I would attempt to roll it in nice and neatly, but after about 3 seconds it pisses me off, and I stuff it in to get the job done quickly and easily.

I think the only time I've ever used a sleeping bag was last year at Oakwood. :?
I rolled it up then, so I'll vote for that.