What's new

The Roller Coaster Race: Six Flags St. Louis - PTR

therick311

Mega Poster
This morning the wife and I attended The Roller Coaster Race at Six Flags St. Louis. They held a 5k in the morning before the park opened. We didn't run, but I believe the course wound through the park. They also held a 5k ride, which we did participate in. The idea is that instead of running 5k, you ride the coasters for a distance of 5k. If you were able to ride over 5k worth of coasters during the day, you got a finishers medal.

For $45 we were entered into the race, and received a park ticket, parking pass, and a wrist band to track rides.

We also got a t-shirt

We only had limited time because we had other things we had to do today, but we were able to hit all of our favorites.

First up for the day was American Thunder. This is by far the best ride in the park, and after the laps I had on it today, I'm also moving it back to my #1. The morning rides we had were pretty good, but we came back right before we left and it had warmed up significantly. Our last ride of the day was in the back row and it was just filled with epic airtime!

On to The Boss. I loved this coaster when it was first built. I remember it being somewhat of a beater then, and it still is now, but I guess I'm over it. We only took one lap on it in the back row. It's not Gwazi bad, but it's rough enough to be unpleasant. Here's hoping they let RMC have their way with this thing, and soon!

No trip to Six Flags St. Louis is complete with out a ride on The Screamin' Eagle! The ride itself is only ok, but it's a classic, and my first wooden coaster, so it has a special place in my heart.

Boomerang with Eagle in the background

I have walked past Superman: Tower of Power countless times, but today was the day I finally decided to ride it. This was actually the first time I have ridden a drop tower of any kind. It's not that I am afraid of heights or anything like that, I was just never that interested. I have to say I enjoyed it, and I look forward to riding more of these.

While I had ridden Excalibur before, it had been a long time. We decided to give it a go since my wife had never ridden it. I normally don't like spinning rides, but this one is rare, so I decided to play along. It's actually not that dizzying.

I wanted to get a few more shots of this thing in action, but they shut it down immediately after we got off.

We also swung by Tsunami Soaker to see how far along they are on it. It looks nearly finished. I don't think you can see it in the photo, but you could see that it was filled with water under the raised floor.

Then we had to leave, so we got our finisher medals. I took a bite, it's not gold. :(
Also, for those that are wondering that STL250 cake is for the city of St. Louis' 250th birthday. The have placed 250 of those around town at local landmarks.

Although the medal isn't gold, it is a pretty nice looking medal. I thought it would be some cheap crappy medal, but I was wrong.

We had a fun day, and the 5k ride was a nice little gimmick that spiced up our home park for us. We hadn't been to SFSTL in 2 years, so it was a nice excuse to finally go back.

Thanks for reading!