Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I take the peel off.

• I HATE BANANAS!!!!!!1!!11!

• Total voters

Jools

Giga Poster
I do it the cartoon monkey way, it prevents you from getting icky hands, and I'm not willing to eat the skin on like some people do :confused3:

I always make sure I have my 5 a day... yeh right :lol: No but I do eat alot of fruit and veg in general, maybe a little short of 5 a day, which they are now planning to make 8!

Emmett

Giga Poster
I always peel the skin off at the start but I never eat a banana on its own. I only like to eat it cut up in slices and put in a sandwich.

tks

Strata Poster
Just the smell of a banana is enough to make me feel very nauseous. I wish death on every single banana in existence.

Ollie

CF Legend
Hixee said:
1. Peel banana about half way

2. Eat down to that point

3. Peel banana further

4. Eat down to that point

5. Repeat steps 3&4 until banana is finished.
This although I'm fussy and usually through away the ends of the Banana. I don't eat fruit that often anyway.

Ollie

CF Legend
Just realised I meant to put throw instead of through. Oops. Surprised Lain didn't pick up on it actually. :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It clearly depends on the ripeness of the banana.

On the initial opening, if the banana is a bright yellow, or slightly green (I actually can't tell the difference), then you need to bite the top to be able to make a clean peel without mushing the top.

If the banana is starting to ripen nicely with lots of blackening of the skin (not bruising, but ripening spots), then there's usually a a nice black split waiting across the top of the skin anyway which makes it easy peel.

From then on, the eating is also different.

A riper banana is more likely to break in the middle, so eating without the skin is a trickier proposition. Getting the full peel without broken banana disaster requires a lot of skill. However, if you can manage it, it's the best way. Holding a riper banana in the skin while you eat and peel will result in a much mushier banana by the time you reach the bottom.

For a firm banana, the peel and eat as you go along technique works the best. However, you're missing out on the perfect opportunity of sliding out the banana from the skin with minimal damage. Also, a stiff fruit is much less messy in the hands.

Personally, I like to always do a full peel, pinching the bottom of the banana to remove the tough clitoris (it always tastes a bit nasty). If possible, I like to bite the top anyway. The bitterness sets up your taste buds and makes the banana taste much sweeter.

I find it odd that cartoon monkeys are always portrayed as peeling a banana neatly. I've seen monkeys and apes eat them, and (excluding humans) they never, ever peel them!

Bananas should never, ever, EVER be cooked! Ever (you're already wrong Neal, don't make it worse for yourself :p ). The best way to serve banana is sliced longways with ice-cream in the middle as a banana split/longboat (depending on how Danish you feel). Secondary is in bread, sliced as a sandwich. Tertiary is mixed with porridge. Nom!

Slash

Giga Poster
Sir furie, I must disagree! Banana fritters NOM!

But I must confess what I do with the skins. I save them up until I go go karting with cartoon characters whereupon I throw them out the back to make the car spin off course. Tactical advantage! Huzzah!

CMonster

Giga Poster
Wow, I didn't expect this many replies!

Anyways, I used to take the peel all the way off, and then eat the banana, but now I peel it halfway and then eat it and so on.

Exciting stuff. :p