What's new

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Belgium/Holland/Germany

nadroJ

CF Legend
So a trip was being arranged for a few days in the wonderful country of Germany over the Easter Bank Holiday weekend. Not wanting to return to the disappointment-fest that is Heide Park, Conor and I (mostly me) decided to do a few days mopping up some +1s around the border crossover points of Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands.

We started off at, as Serena would say, Goon O’Clock for our grotesquely early morning flight from the ever convenient Stansted airport (no sarcasm intended, it’s actually ridiculously close to my house <3) and landed in Cologne-Bonn airport, which I’ve weirdly never flown into despite having visited Phantasialand twice previously. Conor did his Irish thing and we got a double upgrade on our car, meaning we were now driving an Opal Mocca, complete with bum-warmers built into the seats. Luxury! Luckily the machine also had a built in SatNav as mine decided not to play. Trés annoying.

11079362_10153245321434855_8238218079582723269_n.jpg

We were soon on our way along the Goon map, upon which I had plotted various +1s, the first of which could be found in Landgraaf, Netherlands.

The website made Mondo Verde look like a lovely tropical garden with some rides and animals. In reality the place is a grotty garden centre on the outskirts of a non-descript Dutch town, the perfect habitat for a dirty old kiddie cred then! Annoyingly they didn’t take Visa (what is this, Dutch CFers, what does your country have against Visa?!) so had to faff around for an hour trying to find a cash machine. An illegal parking manoeuvre and a sausage roll later we had everything sorted and were finally in the gates, heading Credwards! We had been a little apprehensive about the thing being open as the park was mostly deserted, but we managed to track down a greasy teen who was operating the rides who informed us that they were just waiting for the brakes to dry and she’d be up and running. Excellent! This was also the birth oh ‘he knows’ in the style of disgusting misogynist Dapper Laughs, but instead of referring to a girl wanting to have sex with us, we used it to reference the fact that the ride op clearly knows we are dirty, filthy enthusiasts. In the meantime we had a wander around the rest of the park, whose map had promised a tropical paradise and some Nautic Jets. I’m sure the place is lovely in full bloom but there’s something about wandering around a bunch of dead plants and tacky ‘Roman’ statues that left me cold. We annoyed some donkeys and satanic sheep before cred anxiety got the better of me and we rushed back over, got the cred and **** off onto the next place.

11130124_10153245321579855_1332808961098646381_n.jpg

11152355_10153245322179855_6351814160835824364_n.jpg

10995385_10153245322269855_3409057472158482258_n.jpg

11150598_10153245323914855_6422131410544469047_n.jpg

Annoyingly because of all the Visa faff we’d eaten quite a lot into our allocated cred-time and so had to skip the fairly epic looking alpine coaster at a nearby ski centre. Spite. The next shame-centre on our list was Kinderstad Heerlen, an indoor cred at a nearby childrens play centre full of kids birthday parties. I was fully expecting to be turned away as this is definitely not somewhere you want grown adults wandering around unaccompanied. In true European style nobody gave a **** and we wandered through the tin shed filled with hyperactive children and parents wondering how it’d all gone so wrong that they’d ended up spending their Saturday in a corrugated iron can that smelled of vomit surrounded by screaming toddlers towards the very back where our second +1 of the trip sat in all her glory. Conor had to ride with a kid who was too small to ride alone. I laughed. Then an angry mum appeared. I laughed some more, and we left hastily before child services arrived to question us.

11127815_10153245330244855_6112944085922064074_n.jpg

Back in the car then and swiftly round the corner to de Valkenier, which is possibly the most depressing place on earth. We paid an obscene €5 to park (huergh <//3) and then paid to enter. The place is a city park, a completely charmless concrete nightmare when rides come to die and Dutch teens come to work their Saturday wishing they were anywhere but here. Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever visited a worse ‘pay to enter’ attraction. It had the low quality of a UK gypsy fair, toilets you had to pay to use and, at the centre of it all, a pub where the neglectful parents who actually BRING their children to this dump can ignore their responsibilities while the kids likely get hepatitis from the water slide. Vile. We went in, got the cred, did a lap to be polite and quickly sashayed away. Gross.

19224_10153245323979855_3255793459090931867_n.jpg

11038475_10153245324039855_6802292317925496674_n.jpg

19224_10153245324139855_4703933786946823115_n.jpg

11133834_10153245324419855_6779806927841654020_n.jpg

Luckily the day ended with the fabness that is Plopsa Indoor Hasselt. I don’t understand why something like this doesn’t exist in the UK, it would make SUCH a fortune! OK, so the place is clearly not for the likes of me as I think the cred was the only thing we could actually go on, but the effort they’ve gone to is brilliant. As a rule I don’t really like the Plopsa characters, but this place had a different feel to it and brought with it a certain charm. Everything was clean and well looked after and was just a wonderful relief from the succession of **** we’d just subjected ourselves to in the name of cred whoring. We rode the coaster which is the fab Viking themed Wickie Coaster that is half enclosed in a skull mountain. Cool! I do find it slightly annoying that Plopsa literally copy and paste their theming into all of their parks (we saw exactly the same Wickie models the next day at Plopsa Coo) but I’ll forgive them that for the awesomeness of their product. It is weird to me that someone would even bother spending so much time and effort on creating a high quality product for an age group that would literally be just as happy playing in a cardboard box, but then I guess that’s what makes a good brand. We decided to sit on a bench and have some quiet WiFi time when we were rudely interrrupted by the end-of-the-day show, whose madness culminated with confetti canons. So much for a quiet five minutes then.

11150313_10153245324589855_3711795028552314665_n.jpg

11146278_10153245324729855_1413466402222546191_n.jpg

11050263_10153245324789855_5673722615427380656_n.jpg

11060247_10153245330264855_8931939081983335462_n.jpg

11146296_10153245330554855_6438336395774280016_n.jpg

We then had a pleasant drive down into the beautiful Ardennes to our hotel which was a gorgeous little chalet by the river. It came with a proper kitchen so we decided to head to a supermarket to get some food to bring back to cook, only to find that once again we’d been Europe-spited and nothing was **** open. We had to drive about a 40 mile round trip to an open supermarket and once we’d picked up a few bits we were so knackered we lumped for a McEurope and made our way back to the chalet.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Great report Jordan, loving the absolute S**T holes you went to xD. The things whores go to to get creds hey? ;)

He knows.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
"Not wanting to return to the disappointment-fest that is Heide Park,"

Disappointment?? The place is worth it for Collossos alone!!

nadroJ

CF Legend
caffeine_demon said:

It's meh. It would take a LOT for me to revisit Heide.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
De Valkenier gets worse every time seeing those pictures!

At least Plopsa Indoor Hasselt made the end of the day a bit better. It's a fab place and the Dutch one at Coeverden is even bigger and better!

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I think Plopsa Coevorden and Hasselt are the exact same except that Coevorden has a bonus Anubis. But yeah, technically it's bigger and better since Anubis was a fab little ride!

Already dreading to get those Southern NL creds. I've heard many awful things about de Valkenier.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
nadroJ said:
caffeine_demon said:

It's meh. It would take a LOT for me to revisit Heide.

FINALLY, someone else with sense about that place...

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I don't get it, I really don't. Alright the ride lineup must have been a bit meh before the two B&Ms but now it's worth going just for those alone.

The park is pretty lovely to look at round the lake and there's plenty of old landscaping/sculptures/conservatories/cool dark or boat rides/pretty entrance buildings left from pre-Merlin times. I really enjoyed my visit. I also liked the land of flats with all the crazy spinning going on in one space. That was great to look at and also meant the flats didn't detract from the coasters for once (there's nothing worse than a traveling drop tower plonked next to a themed coaster to ruin your photo). Result: the coasters are framed flawlessly against the lake. I also really liked all the white coasters together - like so much snow over the hill, all blurring together and on top of each other! And then there's the gorgeous Efteling corner with the windmill!! Overall it has a varied and large number of rides, it's a full day park, it has 2 B&Ms and it's pretty.

Not a top 10 Park no but I just don't get the hate. Normally I wouldn't be gushing over Heide but I feel someone needs to defend it.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Mysterious Sue said:
there's plenty of old landscaping/sculptures/conservatories/cool dark or boat rides/pretty entrance buildings left from pre-Merlin times.

There are 3 dark/boat rides, and they all essentially do the same thing/are in fact the same ride? I didn't really think the park was pretty, it's too spread out. A lot of people have said that they liked the way everything was around the lake but for me that completely killed any mystery about the place, the entire park is laid out before you with no hidden gems to discover.

The theming is weak. In every land. They have nothing I would call a complete and in depth themed area, aside from maybe the entrance to the hotel, which shouldn't really count considering it's not technically part of the theme park but rather a themed transition.

There are themed rides, like Krake, for example, that sticks out like a sore thumb. You have conventional German buildings etc then a massive inexplicable shipwreck/pirate fort and tentacles? What? Makes no sense whatsoever and was jarring to the German stuff.

There are HIDEOUS buildings. That office looking thing alongside the hill leading up to Scream. What is that?! It's gross and has no place in the park. And again with Desert Race, it makes no sense and there is no flow from one ride to another.

I don't know, it just feels like somebody opened a lake landscape on RCT and plonked a lot of non-matching, pre-themed rides down and the result just doesn't feel right or nice.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I get where you're coming from Jordan and agree with some of what you have said - especially, the weird office-building wtf?!

I also agree with the fact that the theming is limited to rides and doesn't flow through an area properly. But I'd argue that this doesn't make the park bad, it just doesn't put it in the same league as a proper themed park (Disney/Efteling). I was never claiming the park to be top 10. I just think it needs defending because anyone who reads this will think the park is hideous...and it's just not.

Ok, I see what you mean about the lake spoiling the surprise of the rides as they are all visible at once. But Asterix does the same thing to some extent and doesn't get slated. Neither does IOA, yet you can see Hulk for bloody miles! I get the impression that people unfairly slate the park because of Merlin.

Agreed, Merlin have not kept up the level of theming seen previously. The lonely log flume queue re-used for Flug suggests happier times. But you can't deny that Merlin have added by far the best rides in the park. And Krake is arguably Merlin's best-themed addition to any park (until Gardaland's dive machine perhaps?). Krake looked gorgeous over the lake, and the view of track over the little green area was great. Add to that all the old conservatory stuff still lurking about and Efteling corner and it's just not a hideous park! I judge a park A - on theming (for which Heide gets maybe a half tick), B - on the ride line-up (which is improving) and C - on if I find it an enjoyable space to be in (and I think Heide meets this one hands down).

nadroJ

CF Legend
Mysterious Sue said:
I get where you're coming from Jordan and agree with some of what you have said - especially, the weird office-building wtf?!

I also agree with the fact that the theming is limited to rides and doesn't flow through an area properly. But I'd argue that this doesn't make the park bad, it just doesn't put it in the same league as a proper themed park (Disney/Efteling). I was never claiming the park to be top 10. I just think it needs defending because anyone who reads this will think the park is hideous...and it's just not.

Ok, I see what you mean about the lake spoiling the surprise of the rides as they are all visible at once. But Asterix does the same thing to some extent and doesn't get slated. Neither does IOA, yet you can see Hulk for bloody miles! I get the impression that people unfairly slate the park because of Merlin.

Agreed, Merlin have not kept up the level of theming seen previously. The lonely log flume queue re-used for Flug suggests happier times. But you can't deny that Merlin have added by far the best rides in the park. And Krake is arguably Merlin's best-themed addition to any park (until Gardaland's dive machine perhaps?). Krake looked gorgeous over the lake, and the view of track over the little green area was great. Add to that all the old conservatory stuff still lurking about and Efteling corner and it's just not a hideous park! I judge a park A - on theming (for which Heide gets maybe a half tick), B - on the ride line-up (which is improving) and C - on if I find it an enjoyable space to be in (and I think Heide meets this one hands down).

I disagree that Asterix and IoA do the same thing because they only give *hints* of what is to come from the rides around the lake, Heide just goes ahead and shows you everything. And also I would say a lot of the reason I dislike Heide for doing this is because it is a German park and for me that comes with a bit of a pretext for being better than average when it comes to theming/magic factor in parks. Therefore I'm harsher on it.

Also, really annoying being told that I'm slating the park because it is a Merlin park? I don't think I've ever once referred to it being a Merlin park in my report of it, or even my criticisms of it, so I don't really see where you're coming from with that? I think if I thought about it I'd say that the Merlin parts were my favourite bits (eg Krake). I love Merlin, and am often a Merlin defender, so it's actually really frustrating to be told 'oh, you only don't like this park because it's a Merlin park'. Just...no?

When it comes down to the basics of it, I just found Heide Park to be utterly atmosphereless. Which for a park as big as Heide with an impressive ride line-up (on paper anyway) is kind of weird. Why does this park not beckon me back? In theory it's got everything going for it, so why am I not drawn to it? I can't really put my finger on it, I just found it utterly utterly bland. And no, not because it's a Merlin park but because it is just disappointing in actuality when in theory it should be excellent.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Lol, I'm starting to know what horizontal loop man felt like ;p
The Merlin comment wasn't aimed at you directly Jordan, it's just that's what I've heard from a lot of people as a reason for not liking the park.

We can argue about the park having atmosphere or not all day - that's an abstract concept that changes from person to person. The bottom line is, I'd never say to someone 'don't go to Heide, it's crap'. I think there are at least some good reasons for going and it deserves a little praise for the things it has done right. It's got two bloody B&Ms for God's sake - one of which is really FAB.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Ah, I see, I thought it was aimed at me because I'm the only person I've ever heard saying they didn't like the park, ha!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I really want to get back to Heide because I can remember so little about the place to be honest. It ended up being a bit of a cred run, so I'd like to do it properly. Two B&Ms since then, too.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Mysterious Sue said:
What, no way! All I've ever heard from people is 'eurgh Heide'! Benin in this topic for a start...

I don't think I blame Merlin for my dislike of the place though, there's just something that doesn't sit right with me about it... Might be the disfunctional theme attempts (pirate flags do not a pirate area make), the jarring nature between the older and new buildings, that Colossos is horrendously over-rated, and probs a few other bits too...

Of course it could also be because the two times I've gone it's been packed... Also last year Scream was closed, which meant the park only then had one fab ride open in Krake...

Another bug-bear is the massive closed area by the entrance... WHY is it closed off? It's such a strange place...

It's a VERY inconsistent park on the quality scale... For every area like the top of the Tranny Hill (Scream and Bobbahn), there's the areas around Limit and Desert Race... The Mayan area is fab too, but some of the apparent pirate area is dreadful, like they didn't think that a few smaller areas would be sufficient for the park, even though it would probably have made a lot more sense...

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Agreed that the Desert Race area is DISGUSTING! I wouldn't have gone on Scream anyway so that doesn't bother me ;p

And yes, Colossos is very overrated IMO. It was good, but at the end of the day, it's just too...Intamin...for my tastes. It's got no passion or character. And it's getting a bit on the rough side too.