What's new

The General Public and Wooden Coasters

VF15

Roller Poster
I'm sorry if there is already a thread about this, but anyway, I feel like the general public views wooden roller coasters as rickety, old, unsafe, dangerous, and about to collapse. This doesn't make sense to me, as they are just as safe as steel coasters. Most of this hate seems to go towards wooden coasters that are 30+ years old, but I sometimes hear it about newer ones. When I go to amusement parks, the lines for wooden coasters are relatively short when compared to the lines for the steel coasters unless it is a really popular woodie, or the park is packed. Overall, I feel that the general public has irrational fears about woodies. Your thoughts...

jackandylan123

Roller Poster
I think the public are becoming more welcoming to woodies, it isn't perfect, but it's getting to the point that even merlin seem to be considering getting one, and lets be honest, they never thought they would get one at any of their parks due to marketing, lol

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think it was Joey who once brought this up, but I might be wrong and I might get the exact details right. Hopefully the gist is right though. I think the argument against wood breaks down two ways - one is the apparent 'crudeness' of wood, and the other is the different regional opinions on building techniques (which may well come from an extension of the first point).

Sky scrapers, planes, the Mars rovers, cars (the list goes on) are all made out of metal. We aren't (for the most part) researching new wooden technologies and alloys and stuff, and so the general image of wood is that it's now outdated. Wood is a very viable and useful material with a lot of practical applications, but it is really seen as an older technology. I think this goes some way to explain it. You can tell people all the facts and figures you like, but there will still be people who aren't comfortable with it (see people who are uncomfortable flying, or on trains, or boats etc).

There's also the consideration of the differing markets in the US and Europe (specifically the UK for this example). In the US wood is a much more common building material, with a big proportion of homes and smaller buildings having a predominantly wooden structures. In the UK the proportion is likely the other way, most building here have brick/steel structures. I think this might explain why some people trust wood more than others.

I think it takes parks committing to building wooden coasters to change this perspective. It's quite common to see the new, good wooden coasters having long lines. Guests realise that they offer a different and good ride experience AND they're perfectly safe. It's a complicated issue, someone might be able to cover all the points more succinctly, but I think that might be the general idea.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
I agree with jackandylan123. Wooden coasters have also won many awards. But people think they are old and will eventually collapse just because they are made out of wood? Just look at Cyclone at Coney Island and Leap the Dips at Lakemont Park. They have survived storms and blizzards.

therick311

Mega Poster
I think the GP do see wooden coasters as rickety and unsafe. I did when I was GP, but this is what made them fun back then. We would always joke about how we were going die, and how we cheated death after the ride. Good times.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
The general public looks at wooden coasters as outdated. Whenever I hear a person say "wooden coasters can't go upside down," that is a perfect example. Wooden coasters are becoming the type of ride that can do anything steel coasters can do. Maybe not everything, but most. Innovation. But I think that's part of it. People don't realize what companies out there can do with wooden coasters. They still look at them as traditional and eh.

BBH

Giga Poster
I absolutely adore wood coasters, simply look at my top three for proof of that. People will inevitably look at them as outdated, potentially dangerous pieces of not-even-machinery, but in reality they are safer than ever. The GP will look at the swaying of the structure (which, to a point, is necessary) and will instantaneously **** their pants as the horrifying thought gouges their eyes out. As said, wood is, in general, oftentimes today looked at as a highly outdated building material, when in actuality it's practical uses are still very much apparent and it is a very useful material.

Posted while reading your mind.

insanecoastervids

Hyper Poster
I notice that sometimes but I think it ranges from park to park like at Silverwood Tremors had an hour line but at Magic mountain Apocalypse had a 5 minute line so like I said park to park.