untitled-159lnaw6.gif

untitled-15721bkm.gif

untitled-160tjx76.gif

Courtesy of Nintendo, captured by NeoGAF

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, the Colosseum was all 3D and it looked really cool. It just worked better and I could never understand why it was kept sprite based for so long (well, apart from the obvious "little work and rake in the cash" thing ;) )

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Official trailer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bIrWryFc7A[/youtube]

Also some fan thoughts:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4FfOM8_RXE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4g_lK34M5I[/youtube]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I wish that had been posted at a bout 11:34 this morning, then I could have watched it before lunch :p

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
I also feel the need to mention Pokemon X/Y due to my nickname, however i was on a cruise for the last 7 days with no internet so i'll give you my initial reactions.

1) So they finally ran out of worthwhile colors... to letters...

Really GameFreak? REALLY?

2) I swear to god if it's another fire/fighting starter I'm going to fly to Japan and talk some sense into Gamefreak

3) Good to see the games all releasing at the same time. First time I didn't have to learn the Japanese names first.

4) Expect 3DS sales to increase when it comes out

5) The 3D models look good

Pierre

Strata Poster
Does anyone know anywhere there is some cheap deals on the vita console. Wi-fi version only, not interested in the 3G, won't be using it as a portable system.

Game were selling it for £179.99 with Call of Duty and a 4gb memory card before Xmas... now its £217.99 without the memory card! What happened to January sales? :lol:

Help before this Saturday (my payday) would be great as I'm practically immobile until Feb 1st so want a new toy to keep me occupied / cheer me up :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think you may have missed the boat there mate :(

If it's any consolation, the 4Gb Memory card is next to useless (with you having PS+). Uncharted - with updates - is just shy of 4Gb.

You need a minimum of 16Gb if you use the feature to up/down load to your PC using WiFi (using a cable is such a chore). I'm looking for a 32Gb card now.

I'm happy, if you get one, to do you the 16Gb card I have cheap (£20 or something) to help offset my 32Gb card purchase, but it would have to wait until after my pay day which is the 26th. I could just send you the 4Gb one though anyway if that would help you get going? The issue is that you then end up with stuff across multiple cards and your PC and it's a chore :lol:

Amazon are doing £217 with a 4Gb card a game for £15 and Play are doing £219 with NFS (download) and a 4Gb card.

HMV may be a place to find a bargain very soon ;)

I've been putting time recently into Paper Mario - Sticker Star on the 3DS. I bought it when it was first released (using trade ins), but I just haven't had the opportunity to play on it.

The reviews all say "great, but the same as every other bloody Paper Mario game, when are Nintendo going to do something original" :p

Thankfully, I've never played a Paper Mario game, but I see what they mean. It's the same levels and enemies and music that have been in every other bloody Mario game since the year dot.

Thankfully, there's very little in the way of tedious platforming which ruins the usual Mario games ;) There's some, but it's to add a little depth rather than any kind of focus. The main game is a mix of platformer and turn based RPG.

The game is really nicely presented, with the papery characters and cardboard cut-out world really nicely realised. It's the typical and dull "Bowser breaks things, Mario fixes it" crap story, but the way you go about it works really nicely as an RPG.

Exploring the world, you battle/platform your way through stages solving puzzles here and there too. The puzzles are cool, with stickers being made part of your arsenal AND the keys to unlock the problems.

All around you get stickers which are you moves in battle. You peel them off the land, or out of the usual ? boxes, or buy them from shops. You can also find items that can be turned into stickers to solve puzzles (like the trumpet used to guard the end of world one castle being used to wake up a caterpillar to unlock world 3).

Here and there, putting a sticker down in a less obvious place can reap rewards or unlock hidden areas. Lots of exploration or listening to clues given out by Toads point you in the right direction.
Battling requires a degree of strategy and timing. A hammer sticker can damage ground enemies, and if you hit the button when it's sparkling as you draw it back, you can damage two enemies in one massive hit. Miss the timing and it's a low damage to one. Jump attacks can be chained by correct timing, doing massive damage to one enemy.

Faced with multiple enemies, you need to work out the best sticker to use to minimise damage from their attacks (which with a timed block, can reduce damage).

It all rolls up into a really excellent package - one people who have played previous Paper Marios I suspect already recognise. For me though, it's a fresh introduction into the Mario World which I've always wanted to love, but can't due to hating platform games. Things like SSBB and Mario Party have helped, but they're a little too eclectic (and only the Mario Party games on the Game Cube were any good).

The game has a lot of depth (haha) and there's a fantastic addiction to finding everything and battling your way through. The parts just all work together perfectly. For me, it's the single reason to own a 3DS (until Luigi's Mansion arrives) and I'm so glad I managed to finally get around to playing it.

Maxi-Minor_Furie also adores it and like me, he's always wanted to love Mario, but the platform games he finds too much of a chore. So it's a double hit :)

I know I'll get bored of it before completing it, Nintendo games never seem to keep me on until the end, but until then, it's going to be a very enjoyable game.

For the Disney fans out there, Disney have cottoned onto the success of Skylanders, and producing their own version - Disney Infinity

Essentially, there are 17 "figures" to collect, which when put onto a device - The "Infinity Base" - appear in the game. There are then 40 (so far) add on flat plastic tokens which unlock extra abilities and levels in the game.

I imagine that the base game has a story that you get to play through, and each character and token adds on a different world too.

The difference between this and Skylands is that there's a Toy Box mode, probably like the excellent one that came with Toy Story 3. It's an open world environment where you can use items you unlock in levels, or with characters/tokens to build your own world and levels to play in.

Skylanders, at the core, is a really fun and solid kids game. They've got it just right, and with the areas on levels that require certain characters and "in games ads for characters" - it increases the desire to build you collection. Add to that the characters are all exceptionally well designed to appeal as toys to kids too. It's a very, very cunning product and it's exceptionally well produced.

If you take that very successful idea and then add into it collectable "physical" Disney merchandise? Yeah, potential gold mine.

However, Disney don't seem to have much luck. Disney Universe wasn't a bad game but it promised Little Big Planet and offered something similar to, but less than, a Lego game. I don't think it sold well as it wasn't really something people could get excited about.

Toy Story 3 was actually a really good game. It had masses to it and once you'd completed the levels (though completing all the levels 100% was hard as each had a multitude of extra bits to find) you had the fantastic Toy Box mode that added on so much more to do - really great fun. It sold nowhere near as many copies as it deserved though.

Why? I suspect that Disney is actually a domain that adults spend in mostly, and they don't want to be seen playing a kids game.

With Infinity, Disney may be able to bridge that gap, but it's all down to if the game is Kingdom Hearts like and adult acceptable, or Skylanders kiddy and ignored.

More infos:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/15/disne ... #continued

Pierre

Strata Poster
I knew a 4Gb card wouldn't go much I read most games are 3-5Gb.

I might take you up on that offer of the 16Gb card because in truth I only want a couple of retail games as I plan on using the PS+ stuff on it for the most so will obviously need bigger cards.

In what way does it interact with the PC? Do you upload game saves or the actual game files or what??

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Both. Though the Vita games have their saves kind of embedded. If you have a retail game it puts the icon on the screen and if you remove it, it deletes the save.

With a download game, it's all the one icon.

Psp and ps1 games have separate save files.

You just pick what to copy (including music and video)

It's easy, but a burden.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

kimahri

CF Legend
Got my self a new Playstation 3 after my old fat one Died. Time to wrestle with Sony's atrocious master, sub account system.

Edit: Back Online, First order of Business. Journey, Journey, Journey, Journey, Journey, Journey, Journey, Journey, Journey, Journey, Journey, Journey, Journey, Journey.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
furie said:
I think you may have missed the boat there mate :(

If it's any consolation, the 4Gb Memory card is next to useless (with you having PS+). Uncharted - with updates - is just shy of 4Gb.

You need a minimum of 16Gb if you use the feature to up/down load to your PC using WiFi (using a cable is such a chore). I'm looking for a 32Gb card now.

I'm happy, if you get one, to do you the 16Gb card I have cheap (£20 or something) to help offset my 32Gb card purchase, but it would have to wait until after my pay day which is the 26th. I could just send you the 4Gb one though anyway if that would help you get going? The issue is that you then end up with stuff across multiple cards and your PC and it's a chore :lol:

Amazon are doing £217 with a 4Gb card a game for £15 and Play are doing £219 with NFS (download) and a 4Gb card.

HMV may be a place to find a bargain very soon ;)

I've been putting time recently into Paper Mario - Sticker Star on the 3DS. I bought it when it was first released (using trade ins), but I just haven't had the opportunity to play on it.

The reviews all say "great, but the same as every other bloody Paper Mario game, when are Nintendo going to do something original" :p

Thankfully, I've never played a Paper Mario game, but I see what they mean. It's the same levels and enemies and music that have been in every other bloody Mario game since the year dot.

Thankfully, there's very little in the way of tedious platforming which ruins the usual Mario games ;) There's some, but it's to add a little depth rather than any kind of focus. The main game is a mix of platformer and turn based RPG.

The game is really nicely presented, with the papery characters and cardboard cut-out world really nicely realised. It's the typical and dull "Bowser breaks things, Mario fixes it" crap story, but the way you go about it works really nicely as an RPG.

Exploring the world, you battle/platform your way through stages solving puzzles here and there too. The puzzles are cool, with stickers being made part of your arsenal AND the keys to unlock the problems.

All around you get stickers which are you moves in battle. You peel them off the land, or out of the usual ? boxes, or buy them from shops. You can also find items that can be turned into stickers to solve puzzles (like the trumpet used to guard the end of world one castle being used to wake up a caterpillar to unlock world 3).

Here and there, putting a sticker down in a less obvious place can reap rewards or unlock hidden areas. Lots of exploration or listening to clues given out by Toads point you in the right direction.
Battling requires a degree of strategy and timing. A hammer sticker can damage ground enemies, and if you hit the button when it's sparkling as you draw it back, you can damage two enemies in one massive hit. Miss the timing and it's a low damage to one. Jump attacks can be chained by correct timing, doing massive damage to one enemy.

Faced with multiple enemies, you need to work out the best sticker to use to minimise damage from their attacks (which with a timed block, can reduce damage).

It all rolls up into a really excellent package - one people who have played previous Paper Marios I suspect already recognise. For me though, it's a fresh introduction into the Mario World which I've always wanted to love, but can't due to hating platform games. Things like SSBB and Mario Party have helped, but they're a little too eclectic (and only the Mario Party games on the Game Cube were any good).

The game has a lot of depth (haha) and there's a fantastic addiction to finding everything and battling your way through. The parts just all work together perfectly. For me, it's the single reason to own a 3DS (until Luigi's Mansion arrives) and I'm so glad I managed to finally get around to playing it.

Maxi-Minor_Furie also adores it and like me, he's always wanted to love Mario, but the platform games he finds too much of a chore. So it's a double hit :)

I know I'll get bored of it before completing it, Nintendo games never seem to keep me on until the end, but until then, it's going to be a very enjoyable game.

For the Disney fans out there, Disney have cottoned onto the success of Skylanders, and producing their own version - Disney Infinity

Essentially, there are 17 "figures" to collect, which when put onto a device - The "Infinity Base" - appear in the game. There are then 40 (so far) add on flat plastic tokens which unlock extra abilities and levels in the game.

I imagine that the base game has a story that you get to play through, and each character and token adds on a different world too.

The difference between this and Skylands is that there's a Toy Box mode, probably like the excellent one that came with Toy Story 3. It's an open world environment where you can use items you unlock in levels, or with characters/tokens to build your own world and levels to play in.

Skylanders, at the core, is a really fun and solid kids game. They've got it just right, and with the areas on levels that require certain characters and "in games ads for characters" - it increases the desire to build you collection. Add to that the characters are all exceptionally well designed to appeal as toys to kids too. It's a very, very cunning product and it's exceptionally well produced.

If you take that very successful idea and then add into it collectable "physical" Disney merchandise? Yeah, potential gold mine.

However, Disney don't seem to have much luck. Disney Universe wasn't a bad game but it promised Little Big Planet and offered something similar to, but less than, a Lego game. I don't think it sold well as it wasn't really something people could get excited about.

Toy Story 3 was actually a really good game. It had masses to it and once you'd completed the levels (though completing all the levels 100% was hard as each had a multitude of extra bits to find) you had the fantastic Toy Box mode that added on so much more to do - really great fun. It sold nowhere near as many copies as it deserved though.

Why? I suspect that Disney is actually a domain that adults spend in mostly, and they don't want to be seen playing a kids game.

With Infinity, Disney may be able to bridge that gap, but it's all down to if the game is Kingdom Hearts like and adult acceptable, or Skylanders kiddy and ignored.

More infos:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/15/disne ... #continued

This video sums up my feelings on Sticker Star

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6695-Paper-Mario-Sticker-Star

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
I've been playing a video game I helped make!

603107_537832902907690_1053161428_n.png

We submitted it to the app store yesterday, so it'll be up in a week or so. In the meantime, I'm going to Ollie it up in here and link to it, as well as the other two that were made at the same time.

Also, they're all going to be free.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Just Finished the Fire Emblem Awakening demo and I'm really enjoying it. Looks like between that and Sly 4 thieves in time, I'll be spending some money. Good thing Sly's only $40 instead of $60 :)

Dave

CF Legend
I started playing Grand Theft Auto IV again, oh the fun! Making me look forward to Grand Theft Auto V a little bit more! But won't pre-order until a date is set for release.

Pierre

Strata Poster
soooo got the ps vita which im making the obligatory novelty post from :)

got a pre-owned one for 159.99 then got stung... i bought need for speed most wanted to see me through until i could nab furies memory card then find out i need a memory card to play the game :-/ so ive bought a 16gb one from asda as wanted to play now and wasnt wasting money on a 4gb one... sorry furie.

first impressions of the system are fab works really slick. hate they keyboard though so ending this post early haha