What's new

The Colossus Showcase

Colossus

Giga Poster
This is to be my showcasing page, where all creations and projects will be presented.

Finished Personal Projects

February 2013 - VelociRaptor - Winston Valley

Shot0126_zps507cad87.png

Shot0129_zps70de7068.png

Shot0130_zps0ed04a6a.png

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNjnvjUVITs[/youtube]

April 2013 - Rush - Three Rivers Park

Shot0118_zpsa480a0e0.png

Shot0131_zpsc5986dd5.png

Shot0132_zpsc44527c8.png

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0CKGQaw2iM[/youtube]

April 2013 - Razor - Three Rivers

Shot0127_zps758ba8e6.png

Shot0128_zps3181f94c.png

Shot0130_zps8db7f70b.png

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hnPM4ihea8[/youtube]

Upcoming

Recreation

Those that have subscribed to my YouTube account will see that this is really where I started out, and nearly 3 years since I last did one, its really something that I have wanted to get back to for a long while now, with my skill set and CS available to me completely different to then, I really want to get back to it too test myself yet again in what is a very risky field to play in.
So we have plans for,
Top Thrill Dragster
Rita II
Thorpe Park (as a whole)

hopefully 1 or 2 more, I plan to use 2 files for this one "Recreation park" for all the individual rides and obviously 1 for Thorpe Park.

Quirky Bits

So we have project "Save The Sultan" after it was partially destroyed with its surrounding area, so it looks shameful and sorry for itself, so I plan to give it a new lease of life, with a new theme, re do the surroundings and station, new paint job, basically everything bar the layout will need re-doing so should be a nice project and definitely something different.
We are also going to have "A Coaster is Born II" I'm really gutted that I never got to finish the last project, I got so close only for the file to corrupt, this made me go out and buy new hardware to avoid this again, so I think, I'm going to attempt it again.
Also, and this is just for fun, but again it will be different, we're going to have a "Mrs Colossus Coaster" my woman is fairly clued up on coasters now and obviously she sees all the work I do, so I'm going to get her to make one, I will do the physical work, but she will be the boss on this one, her coaster, her theme, her layout, her everything, should be good fun if anything.

Competition

I have 2 ideas for competitions, both of which are completely unheard off and will be groundbreaking, but they won't be happening for while so I'm going to keep those ideas quiet until they need to be announced, but don't worry they won't be long like this current one ;)

So there's going to be plenty of stuff going on here, a nice mixture of unique things going on that hopefully you guys will enjoy.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Re: The Colossus Topic

Now that you have read through all that gibberish and never being one to offer falce promises, what better time to start sharing then, RIGHT NOW!!!

This here is a coaster I made ages ago, I think I finished it back in November but never got around to sharing it so here we are.
Inspired partially by Projekt Helix (cant wait to book my trip to Sweden next year) with my own little twist, this is a B&M Launch Coaster, that's right, launch coaster, set high above the rest of Winston Valley hidden away in the hill lives a true monster, a vile creature long thought deceased, VelociRaptor lurks within the misty hills and trees ready to pounce on people who dare venture up the tunnel leading to the secluded station.

Ride Stats -

Height - 60 FT
Speed - 62 MPH
Length - 4700 FT
Duration 1:29
Inversions - 6
Trains - 4
Forces - 4.5 positive - 2.5 Lateral

Shot0124_zps9739afb5.png

Shot0127_zps12ef9ff4.png

Shot0126_zps507cad87.png

Shot0128_zps224ad873.png

Shot0129_zps70de7068.png

Shot0131_zps4a174e7f.png

Shot0133_zpsfcb29855.png

Shot0130_zps0ed04a6a.png

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNjnvjUVITs[/youtube]

BBH

Giga Poster

I like it, it's like Projekt Helix but with a dinosaur theme. It conveys the same idea, but the themeing is different. (Nonexistent vs. prehistoric monster)

Would like for more of the curves to be banked, buut if it was necessary to have them that way, it's fine. Great ride.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

VelociRaptor is fun and creative for me. It has a well-balanced pace and a good elements order. The foliage was ok (well, cannot see much with that dark) and the closeness of the terrain made a significant impact on me. Only thing I slightly dislike is that it's a bit too long for me and the brakes at the end seem veyr short. Otherwise, it's a great job Nick ;)

reddude333

Giga Poster

I think you've created something truly great here. The lighting and dense foliage really allows me to get into the moment. In my opinion you kinda overused that s-curve turn, but that's more of a personal preference. The use of overbanked turns was fantastic. Just a really solid, fun coaster with a great setting and atmosphere.

Colossus

Giga Poster

Cheers guys, I hope to have some more work up shortly, I have Valkyrie (WC from Pentney Lakes) practically ready to go as well as 2 other coasters I have been working on that are about 70% complete, I'm still having trouble with the other park that has F7, VR and Sultan in it, there are 3 other completed rides in the park 1 of which aint really a loss, so I if I cant find a resolve I may have to let that park go, but I really don't want to lose the work, especially as I have the Save the Sultan project upcoming.

Time will tell, but in time I'm keeping Valkyrie back as I have only just showcased a WC so the next work posted will hopefully be the 2 I'm working on, hopefully within the next couple of weeks they should both be done and ready to go.

Colossus

Giga Poster

Baaaaacccckk!!!

So its update time, although there appears to be nothing going on, this is not the case.

So the park that had The Sultan, F7, VelociRaptor and 2 other complete rides in it, lets just call it Wnston Valley beacsue thats what I called it, well you remember the troubles I had with F7 which lead to the destruction of most of the park?
Well turns out the problem is terminal and regardless of what I have tried a problem with recording still remains with that park, and hence the park has been totally gutted of anything salvageable and is currently rotting away, awaiting deletion.
So project Save The Sultan can't go ahead as planned, I was hoping to restore it in its current location, well that wont be happening, however, I have saved its ride layout and the support work, so it will still be saved, just in a different park, perhaps we will call it "Project Relocate The Sultan?"
We have also pulled out 2 other rides from that park, 1 of which has found a new home and just needs its surrounding area to be finished, so that's good
The other I have plans for but it wont take long to knock up as it's only a Mega-Lite (you can see it in the Sultan vid)
Unfortunately VelociRaptor and F7 will probably be lost, but its not too much of an issue as they are obviously both showcased.

So bad news out they way and its time for some positive work, and we actually have3 coasters completely ready for recording and showcasing, we have Valkyrie, the WC from the park you have already seen, we're not showcasing this just yet though as we have only just done a WC.
So the other two are both recreations, but as you would think, the recreation this has stalled at themoment as there's nothing out there that takes my fancy, I'm hoping to get some ideas after my US trip in July.
So what I have done here is recreate two of my own rides, these two rides I have attempted to do and get right about 3 times each, never with success, until now!
they are both done and ready to go, only thing I an't decide is which to do first, so I'll leave that up to you guys, which one would you like to see first?

Rush

Shot0119_zpse27b6f52.png

Razor

Shot0121_zps6cb0cab6.png

So I'm going to be getting these 2 fired out, followed with completing the one that's nearly finished,
I shall probably merge the "Mrs Colossus" project with the next competition that takes my fancy, or her fancy I guess ;)

So yeah stuffs a coming. :)

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

Let's Rush ! I've seen too many inverts lately, wanna see B&M Sit-downs back :p Plus, Rush's colour pattern is sexy. The lift supports (except the one closest to the station) are a bit weird though. Nothing too shocking, but their reverse Y shape is quite unusual to me.

For Winston Walley, have you tried Park CleanUp ?
http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php?topic=8557.0

Silver Swordsman also published two helpful threads :
http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php?topic=11892.0
http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/t ... 43335.html

scw55

Hyper Poster

Hmm... Collossus. We seem to have shared the same brainwave again.

I, redeveloped a B&M Inverter (sorry Port) which I had built. I had an issue that the 'last half' was too compact. Had interesting elements, but it conflicted with the philosophy of B&M coasters.

So I basically shoved a strategically place Cobra Roll.

I think the reason B&M Inverters are popular atm is that a lot of people have "gotten over" using Wingriders. And B&M inverters are sort of like special B&M sit-downs.

reddude333

Giga Poster

I like the tropical jungle setting you have been using. It allows for rides that poke out of the foliage which is a great feature of the coasters you featured here. I'm assuming these two are in the same park...would have fit well with VelociRaptor...shame :-\ Hope you post more soon!

And don't feel bad scw55, Port is making an invert too so he can't complain (not that he was ;-)) I always love myself a nice invert :p

scw55

Hyper Poster

I love making the fictional people on my POV think they'll get severely injured. What can I say? B&M excel at this.

I like the poking foliage too. You can see with my past projects (and current one), I like half-submerging some rides so you get that money shot when it gets visible.
I get that I think, probably when I went to Alton Towers. At the top of Forbidden Valley you can see the top of Air's lift hill through the trees. It's a sweet teaser.

Colossus

Giga Poster

portemine said:
Nothing too shocking, but their reverse Y shape is quite unusual to me.
l

Weird is good right? ;)

Thanks a bunch for those links aslo, I shall give them a look to see if they can help fix the issue, if so then it wont be "Save The Sultan" it will be "save the whole park" haha.

scw55 said:
Hmm... Collossus. We seem to have shared the same brainwave again.

I, redeveloped a B&M Inverter (sorry Port) which I had built. I had an issue that the 'last half' was too compact. Had interesting elements, but it conflicted with the philosophy of B&M coasters.

So I basically shoved a strategically place Cobra Roll.

I think the reason B&M Inverters are popular atm is that a lot of people have "gotten over" using Wingriders. And B&M inverters are sort of like special B&M sit-downs.

For me the whole B&M Invert thing is all about this layout, I have done two or three, 1 of coarse quite recent as you know, and that stems down to me wanting to get this layout to work, because I have never been truly happy with the Razor layout, I have been firing out these other Inverters almost as a substitute if you will.
I'm extremely happy with this now and I think completion of this may see me not feel the need to make anymore for a while now, although having said that I will have the Sultan relocation thing, so maybe not haha.

reddude333 said:
I like the tropical jungle setting you have been using. It allows for rides that poke out of the foliage which is a great feature of the coasters you featured here. I'm assuming these two are in the same park...would have fit well with VelociRaptor...shame :-\ Hope you post more soon!

Yeah they are virtually side by side I have been doing their recording over the last few days its quite interesting, you can't really see Razor in Rush's video because Razor sits under and around ground level, surrounded by foliage and the camera is spending most of the time pointing upwards.
However in Razors video you can clearly see Rush towering over it like a behemoth, its quite impressive.
Yeah I love the use of foliage in my videos, I don't know what it is, but I just can't help myself putting a ton in, actually I need to get on to deathfearsnone to find out what foliage he's using, I have seen some pretty sexy trees in his pictures and vids ;)
Don't worry these will both probably be released simultaneously, should be within the next week.

scw55 said:
I like the poking foliage too. You can see with my past projects (and current one), I like half-submerging some rides so you get that money shot when it gets visible.

Yeah I love doing this also and this achieved in the Razor video, there is Rush clearly visible and I little something else also, I say little, it's huge, you will see when the video is released in the next week.

Colossus

Giga Poster

Question?

What would be better then unveiling one of my coasters?

Yes, that's right, a double unveil obviously!

So these two, are as you know, recreations of coasters I have attempted before and failed, well not now, they have both been recreated to a point were I'm really happy with them, so with further ado, I prestent to you a duel release!

Step forward, Rush and Razor.

Rush

Shot0118_zpsa480a0e0.png

Shot0131_zpsc5986dd5.png

Shot0132_zpsc44527c8.png

Shot0133_zpsc74d1f60.png

Tale of the tape

Height - 166ft
Speed - 66mph
Inversions - 7
Length - 4351ft
Time - 1:37
Capacity - 32 per train

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0CKGQaw2iM[/youtube]

Razor

Shot0121_zps6cb0cab6.png

Shot0127_zps758ba8e6.png

Shot0128_zps3181f94c.png

Shot0130_zps8db7f70b.png

Height - 96ft
Speed - 55mph
Inversions - 6
Length - 3314ft
Time - 1:35
Capacity - 28 per train

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hnPM4ihea8[/youtube]

(EDIT - I'm aware there is a slight blemish at 3:46 on the Razor video I vill be editing the video to remove that at some point this weekend)

Hope you like :)

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Brilliant! Both are realistic and creative in their own ways; I adore Razor's layout, especially the depressions and threaded loop and Rush looks equally stunning. The Custom trains also allude to the coaster types extremely well too....and is that a KK recreation I spy? Or just a custom launcher?