What's new

The Chipboard Cities Tour

Pierre

Strata Poster
Edinburgh is 121 miles from Newcastle, all of it on an A road, which disappointed us as we wanted to make good progress.

Tell me about it, a fair few speed cameras too if I remember rightly.

I haven't been to Edinburgh for a good four years now :( Last time I was up that way I went as far as Holy Island so the family could get some Lindisfarne Mead.

I guess if anything, its nice to know people out there still drink spirits because they actually enjoy the taste, and we're not a 100% binge-drinking nation just yet :)

Look forward to Blackpool (which is my favourite UK destination).

Nicky

Hyper Poster
It's Tebay services. Stopped there when we went up to Scotland. Definitely a nice change from the normal services in the rest of the country.

The farm shop was great.

Martyn

Giga Poster
Ian said:
We stopped at the next services and **** me, it was the poshest services I had ever been to. It had a ****ing farm shop, toy shop, cheese counter and a fishmongers FFS! And an old lady behind the counter serving home made cakes! It pissed all over a Welcome Break. This was a services for posh people!
edinburgh%20(33).JPG

Haha, I went into one of those on the way to Knockhill last year. There's two or three knocking about on the way to Scotland I believe.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
So we had made it to Blackpool. The rain was tipping down – was so bad Paul was reduced to doing 30mph on the M55 which, in turn, reduced him to tears. Well, metaphorically.

I have never had a night out in Blackpool. I’ve been to Blackpool at least once a year for the last five years but never any further than the Pleasure Beach. After seeing several programmes like Street Crime UK as well as hearing other people’s tales, I was expecting a lot from Blackpool. This was Paul’s first visit to the town…”Is that the Big One, mate?” he said pointing at the large red and blue roller coaster. :roll:

Our room that night was in the new South Shore Travelodge. For a lodge, it’s really nice. Flat screen TV, new sofa and the pull-out bed under is longer. They’ve even mounted a bottle opener on the side of the desk!

It was still pissing down. I played around with my iPhone trying to find places to go. Paul read the paper.
blackpool%20(0).JPG

Eventually the rain stopped, the sky went blue and we headed out into the unknown.

Before hitting the pubs, we wondered around the seafront. As you may have guessed, Paul isn’t one for walking around so it was hard work to convince him to go further than necessary. I really wanted to head up the Tower. Paul doesn’t like heights as well as walking, so I had to make do with a photo instead.
blackpool%20(2).JPG

We went into one pub called The Manchester as they had cheap drink offers on. In actual fact, all the pubs had cheap drink offers on!

We were the only people in there. Still, that gave me enough time to stare into space while Paul played the fruit machines. The £70 jackpot fruities haven’t made it down south yet, so it was difficult to drag Paul away.

Eventually the loud music, lack of people and the dirty looks the barman kept giving me took its toll and we left.

We wondered a bit more along the seafront.
blackpool%20(7).JPG

We saw a tram. Trams are not commonplace down south so they sort of fascinated us.
blackpool%20(4).JPG

Hurrah! Some chipboard! Must remember not to stay here.
blackpool%20(1).JPG

Yes, CoasterForce, I thought of you when I took this.
blackpool%20(8).JPG

We started to notice a lack of pubs on the seafront and consulted the iPhone to find out where the drinking district was. The iPhone calculated we were about a 15 minutes walk away.

As you can guess, 15 mins is too far for Paul to walk, so he hailed a cab. The taxi driver was pretty good actually. He told us what bars are good, where the birds are and how to get back to the lodge. I’ve always found northerners to be friendlier.

Within a few minutes we were up the other end of the shore in a street called Queens Street.
blackpool%20(9).JPG

Queens Street is the drinking area. There must have been about eight bars all within eyesight.

The first place we went into was the Litten Tree for something to eat and a pint.

Yes, it was DEAD. There was an old couple and a group of bored-looking fat birds and that was it.

A pint and a burger later, we went over to Walkabout.

Again. DEAD. I mean DEAD. Aside from me and Paul, there was a foursome of 50 year olds sitting at a table. Paul played the fruit machine and I whored the free wi-fi.

We had a few drinks in there – was cheap – and then went back outside. We saw a place called Roxys where a few drag queens were stood outside. I suggested to Paul we head in there as it may be a laugh and have some life, but let’s just say that Paul can be quite narrow minded at times.

We now realised that a Monday night in Blackpool is not the place for under 30’s wanting a few jars and a laugh.
blackpool%20(13).JPG

I had the idea we should hit some of the back street pubs. Perhaps if we got away from the plastic chain pubs, we could some find character and life.
blackpool%20(11).JPG

We wondered and eventually found a large, open plan pub without 10 people in there – result!

We played on the quiz machine, sank another few beers and walked out. We found a karaoke bar around the corner. Had another pint and watched some of the people “sing” before we decided to grab a pizza and head back to the Lodge.

I was very disappointed by Blackpool. I realise that we hit it on a Monday night, just before peak season, but if Newcastle can be booming on a Sunday night, why can’t Blackpool? The whole place feels grotty, run-down and desperate. I am snobby, I like to feel impressed by a place I visit. Blackpool did not impress me. Rows and rows of creeping looking B&Bs, dingy, repetitive side streets, characterless shopping area, old people and a general feeling of untidiness. Blackpool is stuck in a time warp and a dead-end. British seaside resorts can be so much better….

After a good nights sleep, the next morning consisted of buying some lottery tickets. Paul went into a rock shop and came out with three bags of goodies.
blackpool%20(14).JPG

If it’s not a rock shop, it’s a Pound Shop.
blackpool%20(15).JPG

People in Blackpool can be split into two categories. Men – usually recognised by being thin and wearing flat caps. And women – recognised by being wider than a cash point.
blackpool%20(16).JPG

So feeling deflated after a disappointing evening and with some processed-chicken-on-a-stick, we set off to Liverpool!
blackpool%20(17).JPG

In the next part of The Chipboard Cities Tour…
· Tea bagging
· Fudge packing
· Rabbit hutches
· Beatlemaina

jokerman

Giga Poster
Ian said:
We wondered and eventually found a large, open plan pub without 10 people in there – result!

For someone who cares so much about spelling, I find it appauling that you can mix up wondered and wandered :wink:

Nice report.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Koc! Looks like I spelt that incorrectly as well :lol: Besides, it's only "whisky" that winds me up! (and "aloud" instead of "allowed" and "advise" instead of "advice")

Rach

Giga Poster
Ian said:
Our room that night was in the new South Shore Travelodge. For a lodge, it’s really nice. Flat screen TV, new sofa and the pull-out bed under is longer. They’ve even mounted a bottle opener on the side of the desk!

That would be the one we stayed at the night before the Live. (Providing it was the big one right in the middle of Blackpool).
And if it is, I have to agree, for a Lodge it is ace and even better for the Live we paid less than what we did for that bollocks Chorley one.

I've stayed in Blackpool a couple of times before mainly on Friday/Saturday nights but I have once stayed on a Tuesday night and I recall it being as dead as a doorknob!

Obviously, a visit on either Friday or Saturday night the bars/pubs/clubs would be heaving with stag/hen doos and various age birthday parties.
Day before the Live we walked past that 'The Manchester' pub a fair few times and it was always heaving! People were literally standing on the pavement outside the pub drinking.

It's a shame you didn't really enjoy your night out there.

But I have to say Blackpool is such a stereotypical British seaside resort that is always hammered with various groups of people looking to get hammered themselves. :lol:

Blackpool is a quirky place to go which is why I always have a soft spot for it. :lol:

Really liking these reports though. :D

bazpa

Hyper Poster
jokerman said:
Ian said:

For someone who cares so much about spelling, I find it appauling that you can mix up wondered and wandered :wink:

Nice report.

Did you mean to spell appalling like that?

nadroJ

CF Legend
Ian said:
The £70 jackpot fruities haven’t made it down south yet
I beg to differ!

I'm quite snobby like you Ian, anywhere that has as much chipboard as Blackpool tends to make me feel uncomfortable. The whole place reminds me of the Chatsworth estate from Shameless, pure British grot.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
nadroJ said:
Ian said:
The £70 jackpot fruities haven’t made it down south yet
I beg to differ!

Ok, seems like they've not made it to the central-south coast. I bet when i head to town this weekend, they'll be everywhere.

Think I'll write up Liverpool tonight. Best go pour myself a large whisky.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Seeing as only Rach has commented in Blackpool's defense, I guess most people agree with me! On with the show.

The journey to Liverpool was rather dull. It’s only 55 miles so, about an hour of motorway. Enough time for Paul to finish his processed chicken on a stick and me to eat a Ginsters…one of many on the trip.

If you read other popular theme park enthusiast forums, you’ll probably enjoy photos of signs, so here’s one just for you. LOL there’s a services 12 miles away. Ahem.
liverpool%20(0).JPG

Rather suddenly we were in Europe’s 2008 Capital of Culture!
liverpool%20(1).JPG

Time was short today so we wouldn’t have much time to explore by foot. I find that to really experience a city you need to wander around the many streets and touristy bits, get drunk in the pubs and interact with the locals, so a lot of these images and remarks are from the car.

Our first stop was the Albert Docks. Paul wanted to see it because he wanted to “see the bit where that weather man jumped around that map” and because he had been recommend a fudge shop. WTF? Who the **** recommends fudge shops?

The route towards the docks was littered with traffic lights, car dealerships and more frequently, some old industrial and navel looking building. This is probably the most famous building in Liverpool – the Royal Liver Building. On top of the two domes sit the Liver Birds, mythical birds that guard the city…or something.
liverpool%20(2).JPG

Eventually we found the Albert Docks, parked the car and went to have a look. The approach is gorgeous. Living near to Southampton and Portsmouth, I’ve been familiar with dockyards throughout my life. This pisses all over Southampton and Portsmouth. Which in Portsmouth’s case, is probably a good thing as it’ll smell better.
liverpool%20(3).JPG

When we got inside the actual dockyard, I was impressed how big is it. I told Paul we have to walk all the way round. To which he wasn’t too amused but he reluctantly agreed as we had to find the fudge shop.
liverpool%20(5).JPG

It does take a while to do a lap of the docks. Still, I thought it was ugly-pretty and there were the odd bits of art to look at. Here’s a statue of Billy Fury. I’ve heard the name but I have no idea about his music.
liverpool%20(6).JPG

We had a look at the Mersey. Nothing to report really. It looked like any other river except if it could talk, it would have a scouse accent.
liverpool%20(10).JPG

It was hard work for poor old Paul doing all that walking so he sat down for a rest and a fag. In the meantime, I Googled the Royal Liver Building – I was quite fascinated by it.
liverpool%20(7).JPG

Some legs walked by.
liverpool%20(12).JPG

Paul was getting fudge-anxious now. Here he is scanning for fudge.
liverpool%20(13).JPG

We found the fudge shop and I can see why it was recommended. They had about 30 different flavours of fudge! Paul brought banoffee flavour and strawberries and cream. I didn’t buy any. It was all gone before we got back to the car.

So then we head to our next destination. As we moved away from the showcase docks into more urban areas, it became typically northern and chipboardy.
liverpool%20(15).JPG

Far too many traffic lights in Liverpool. I was impressed that they seemed to operating correctly. The downstream offset in an evidently UTC-controlled environment worked well and we didn’t really experience any delays. However, just to be picky, I did notice that a lot of their traffic lights did have corroded poles. In Hampshire, such corrosion is not tolerated and is swiftly sorted. Check out the rust on this early 90’s Microsense specimen. Disgraceful!
liverpool%20(16).JPG

Paul is a supporter of Liverpool Football Club. So guess where we headed next?
liverpool%20(17).JPG

****ING HELL! I’M IN CHIPBOARD HEAVEN! (Or should that be hell?)
liverpool%20(18).JPG

We arrived at our destination and reluctantly parked the car. We made the usual joke about coming back to find the wheels gone and the car propped up on bricks. Take a look at this…
liverpool%20(19).JPG

Standing still on the spot and turning round 180 degrees, you would have never guessed to see this behind you.
liverpool%20(20).JPG

Yes, we were in Anfield at Liverpool FC’s stadium. I cannot believe how derelict the surrounding area is. Apparently it’s up for redevelopment but I have never, ever in my 28 years and 10 months on this Earth seen anything quite like it. A few houses are still occupied!

Anyway, back to the stadium. I do like the way it is in the middle of a residential area; that’s how football ground should be. It gives the ground to the people. The Dell in Southampton was similar until it moved to the outskirts. Even though I do not give a **** about football, I think it’s a pity to see a stadium on the outskirts.

Paul wanted a photo for Facebook.
liverpool%20(21).JPG

Our mission was to find a shirt for Paul so we headed into the shop. They didn’t have Paul’s size – a concern he had before we went. I asked the chap behind the counter if they had any. This was the first time I had actually interacted with a 100% true Scouser and I have to admit I tried not to laugh when he spoke to me in his phlegmy, bizarrely-pitched accent. The chap told me that Paul’s particular size is very popular and they sell out within a day of appearing on the shelf! Even Paul commented to me that Liverpool must be full of tubby bitches!

The shop had everything Liverpool FC branded that you could dream of. I got a few ideas for some CF merchandise. One of which is NOT branded teabags!
liverpool%20(22).JPG

You can even brainwash your dog into supporting Liverpool FC! I did consider getting a bowl for my dog but as she’s black & white, she’s more of a Newcastle supporter.
liverpool%20(24).JPG

They had this tunnel you could walk through. Between the small ginger kids with glasses bunking school running through it, I managed to snap one of Paul.
liverpool%20(23).JPG

We then headed to the other side of the stadium to have a look at the famous Shankly Gates. A close up look at the side streets…
liverpool%20(25).JPG

This sort of under whelmed me. After seeing them so many times on the tv, I expected them to be some sort of grand entrance near a massive plaza. Nope, they were right on the roadside. Another Facebook photo opportunity for Paul.
liverpool%20(26).JPG

Realising that I will probably never visit this football ground again, I decided to have a photo taken as well.
liverpool%20(27).JPG

With the photos taken and a few bags of Liverpool FC tat, we headed back to the car, relieved to see it still had all four rubber boots on.

As it’s well documented on CF, I have no love for football. It was quite humbling and significant in my mind to see the ground. It’s the largest, big club ground that I’ve seen (aside from Wembley).

Anyway, enough about the “beautiful game” and back on the road. Our next stop was the set of Brookside Close. :lol: Brookside was a soap opera from the 80’s/90’s set in a real life cul-de-sac in a suburban area of Liverpool. I had done a bit of research before setting off here. There were varying reports that the houses had been torn down or were standing derelict.

What we found in its place was a load of new rabbit hutch developments.
liverpool%20(29).JPG

I was quite disappointed by this but at the same time chuffed to make out the slight road layout, which has changed. No longer a t-shaped cul-de-sac. Paul didn’t share my enthusiasm for telly history so he sat in the car as I took photos.
liverpool%20(30).JPG

Penny Lane was our next stop on our magical mystery tour (see what I did there :p). Here’s the road beneath the blue suburban sky.
liverpool%20(31).JPG

Penny Lane is the name of a Beatles song released in 1967. On Penny Lane I did see a barbers and a man did walk out of a bank not wearing a mac.
liverpool%20(32).JPG

Just enough time to tick one more Beatles box. I would have liked to pose for a photo outside the Cavern Club but Paul did not fancy going into the city centre. So I had to settle for Strawberry Field.
liverpool%20(35).JPG

Those famous red gates have been stolen before and eventually returned. They’re an iconic symbol of Liverpool’s musical history. I felt a surge of thrill go through me when I touched them. Pretty sad I know! At both Penny Lane and Strawberry Field, there were people posing for photographs. All those years on and still these seemingly small places draw in crowds of people of all ages. Fascinating. Love or hate the Beatles, nobody can ever deny their impact on social, musical culture and history. I very much doubt any other artist(s) will come close to the Beatles in a similar standing. Not even Elvis or Jackson.

So that was it! I do regret not fully experiencing Liverpool. I would have loved to have seen the city centre, had a few drinks and got up close and personal to the buildings and people. I feel that I only scratched at the surface but I loved what little I saw. The city blatantly has plenty to offer and I do plan to go back there in the very near future.

We started our 231 mile journey home. I saw this and LOLd.
liverpool%20(34).JPG

I also saw a big white cock shape sitting out from the trees on the motorway near St Helens. Turns out to be a big head carving. Look closely in the bottom right, I snapped it on the move hence the crapness.
liverpool%20(36).JPG

The past few days had really taken its toll on me. I crashed out for an hour or so to be woken up by this song. YouTube it and try not to laugh…
liverpool%20(37).JPG

It’s probably worth mentioning that we only got to “F” on the iPod.

And then we saw this sign on the M27.
liverpool%20(38).JPG

We were home.

BUT WAIT! THERE’S MORE! In the next part…
· Torquay! Can one day on the south coast better the last few days up north?
· Will people sound funny when they talk??
· Will there be any chipboard???

Nadia

Mega Poster
OMG I'm actually really shocked to see Brookside Close looking like that :-( The last time I read about it last year, it was still the same Brookie Close. They've built those new houses in a mega short space of time!!

Can't wait for the next part!

bazpa

Hyper Poster
Someone sent you to the wrong place for the Brookside site Ian, according to this http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/show ... =brookside the old houses are still there just a bit overgrown now. Loads of pix taken only a month ago.

I've even heard a rumour that Phil Redmond is trying to buy them back on the cheap and get the programme up & running again, would be great if it's true.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
OH NO! I'm ****ing devastated! :cry: Another reason to go back to Liverpool then!

Pierre

Strata Poster
I can't believe the "European Capital of Culture" has a major football team with such a shady surrounding area. They're in Europe every year and all the Italian/Spanish/German away supporters come in to see that ****.

I agree with it being in suburban areas (I literally used to live opposite the boro ground - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/george.col ... nceold.JPG ) now its on the outskirts (near our docks actually) which is a rundown industrial part of town. Sucks.

LOL Liverpool teabags, our football club does some ridiculous branded bollocks but teabags? I wonder what Scouse tea tastes like.

Oh and IMHO the Beatles are way way overated.

Emmett

Giga Poster
^^^I think the whole street was sold off at the end of last year at auction. They were sold off to a developer and are probably waiting to get bulldozed. I don't think you can get onto the actual street as there is a security barrier before the road. We were meant to go last year but I heard about the security and decided not to go but looking at the link bazpa posted I might try again this year.

:lol: , I'd love to know what street you ended up on instead Ian.

Nice report from Liverpool Ian, its a great city and probably has the most friendly people you will come across in the UK. You should have taken a trip to Toxteth if you really want to see boarded up buildings too.

nealbie

CF Legend
I love wandering around the area around the club. Then turning round to see it right there. It's hilarious!

My club <3!

Glad to see you had fun and found it really quirky :p

Lofty

CF Legend
Liverpool <3

They're actualy in the stage of re-developing all that area around the stadium for when the stadium moves apparantly!

Great reports Ian, I see that you've said 'The Dream', thats the giant head in St Helens lol, its rather huge and rather pathetic looking lmao!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Thanks for your replies. I'm sure everybody finds it rewarding when you put effort into something and people enjoy what you wrote. I know I do.

Pierre said:
I can't believe the "European Capital of Culture" has a major football team with such a shady surrounding area. They're in Europe every year and all the Italian/Spanish/German away supporters come in to see that .
Hmm, you say "European Capital of Culture" as if you're taking the piss. During my brief few hours in the city, I certainly thought it was worthy of the title. And yes, I thought the same about the stadium being in a shoddy area. The ground wasn't nice to look at but then again, I guess if you like football, it's what goes on inside that matters.

Emmett said:
I'd love to know what street you ended up on instead Ian.
Lol, me too! I have a funny feeling that were were right by it but missed it by a few yards or something. There are building works going on near that street so I assumed it was the place. The curtain twitchers must have thought I was being suspicious taking photos!

lofty said:
They're actually in the stage of re-developing all that area around the stadium for when the stadium moves apparently!

I see that you've said 'The Dream', that's the giant head in St Helens lol, its rather huge and rather pathetic looking lmao!
Yeah, Paul said the same thing. It'll be a shame to take the ground out of the area imo.

As for the head, I wish I had seen it close up, but from the motorway it did look like an erect cock. Liverpool's way of telling people that they're heading towards Manchester, perhaps? :lol:

I'll write up Torquay this evening but first I need a poo.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Torquay was different. Firstly it’s down south. Secondly, Ren and Soulsy joined Paul and me on this day. They couldn’t do the other days due to money and work. I went to school with all three of them. I sat next to Ren in English so I got to know him well. Paul was in the other half of the year, it’s only when we met at college did we actually talk to one another. Soulsy was in the year below. I met him a house party back in 1998. I was working for Nintendo at the time and he asked me about Zelda on the Gameboy. It’s funny how friendships start. Ren and Soulsy are obviously not their real names but it’s how everybody knows them. Along with Dave, these boys are my regular mates. We do a lot of stuff together. Just us. Just the boys. We tend to get very pissed.

Anyway, enough about all that. I’m sure you’re not really interested in my background. On with the report!

Here we are on the way to Torquay. It’s about 130 miles, 2.5 hours from Southampton. Ren is the one behind me, Soulsy is behind Paul.
engriv%20(0).JPG

Lovely weather and a lovely drive.
engriv%20(1).JPG

We saw a random elephant thing on the side of the road. Looked like a slide to me. I did see signs for Crealy, so perhaps it was for that?
engriv%20(3).JPG

Eventually we arrived. Torquay is part of Torbay, which is named as the English…
engriv%20(4).JPG

(Crap camera, says ‘Riviera.’) You’ll see why it’s called that later on.

The four of us had been to Torquay before in 2005 and 2007 so the town wasn’t new to us, but as it’s such a nice place, we’ve decided to head there every few years. Our first stop was the pub we like to call the “piano bar”.

The Piano Bar (don’t know it’s real name!) is a typical English pub inside, but the outside is themed to an American bar but not in a tacky way. There are waterfalls, decking and all sorts of sports memorabilia. This piano opens up to become a bar!
engriv%20(5).JPG

Ye-hah Yankee seats.
engriv%20(6).JPG

“Hello, this is New York calling.”
engriv%20(7).JPG

There are fibreglass life-size models of the Blues Brothers, Elvis and several other American icons around the place.
engriv%20(8).jpg

Anyway, down to drinking…
engriv%20(10).JPG

…or playing FlightControl on your iPhone. That’s all Paul did when we were at the pubs. If he can’t drink or play a fruit machine, he gets bored. He is a good talker if you get him on a subject he enjoys, but otherwise he has to fiddle.
engriv%20(9).JPG

More drinking. Yes, that is the theme.
engriv%20(11).JPG

We decided that a bit of crazy golf was in order, so we set off to the waterfront. Stunning views.
engriv%20(12).JPG

“I’m Tiger Woods!”
engriv%20(14).JPG

“No! I’M Tiger Woods!”
engriv%20(15).JPG

The four of us play crazy golf regularly. We play it for money, pints and sometimes just for fun. We have our own way of playing. Each player attempts at finishing the hole before the next player starts. We always seem to end up twirling the clubs, swearing loads and saying “I’m Tiger Woods” on every shoot. Well, Ren and me do.

We also have a six-stroke limit. Anymore than six strokes and it’s known as a **** (rhymes with ‘bank’) and it gets marked down as a ‘W’ on the scorecard.

Soulsy takes it very seriously. By nature, he’s very competitive when it comes to beating the rest of us at anything. Be it cards, crazy golf, pool, computer games, he has to win. Perhaps it’s because he’s a year younger and feels like he has something to prove? Who knows, but it’s one of his greatest character strengths and I find bouncing off him brings the best out in me. He here is sweeping the course so his ball doesn’t go off-track. :roll:
engriv%20(16).JPG

“I’m Tiger Woods”
engriv%20(17).JPG

This hole had loads of mounds! We all love the mound and we always try to see who is the best at conquering the mound.
engriv%20(18).JPG

Paul’s mound-conquering skills were not with him on the day.
engriv%20(19).JPG

Soulsy being a berk once again.
engriv%20(20).JPG

“I’m Tiger Woods!”
engriv%20(21).JPG

Here are some palm tree things that look like they could do with a bit of water. The glorious sunshine probably didn’t help their cause.
engriv%20(22).JPG

We take it in turns to score, just in case Soulsy decides to alter it :lol: “Never trust a man with a beard” my Nan used to say.
engriv%20(23).JPG

We got back to the car and Ren accused Soulsy of fixing the scores. Usual ten-minute argument breaks out. How dare he!
engriv%20(24).JPG

I interjected by reminding them that it’s only a ****ing game and the arguing is chewing up into our boozing time and for a peaceful life, I declare Soulsy the winner and he shuts up.
engriv%20(25).JPG

Paul actually won, Soulsy came second, me third and Renny Boy last, even though I had the most W’s!

Time for some more beer and some food. We headed to the town centre and parked up. **** me, look at this…
engriv%20(26).JPG

Gorgeous, isn’t it? Pisses all over Blackpool!
engriv%20(27).JPG

“I’ve got a great idea, lets get a cheesy group photo!”
engriv%20(28).JPG

This is why Torbay is called the English Riviera. There are not many other coastal towns in England with such a cosmopolitan yet historical, affluent, luscious and picturesque feel. In fact, I’d probably say that Torbay is at the top of the premier league. No matter how hard Blackpool, Skegness, Great Yarmouth or Bude try, they’ll never match this. Never.

We headed into the town centre. It was a Wednesday night so it wasn’t packed out but certainly busier than Blackpool – and people looked happy! This is the main shopping area. Same old shops as you find in any High Street, but I like the curving white buildings. Very nice.
engriv%20(29).JPG

We ended up at a restaurant called Camelot…or “Eatalot” as Paul calls it. It’s a medieval themed restaurant where they serve whole chickens on metal plates. Eating with your hands is optional.
engriv%20(30).JPG

Here we are waiting for our grub. Yes, Paul is still playing FlightControl.
engriv%20(31).JPG

Even though the restaurant was half-full, we had a longish wait. At least we knew the food was being freshly microwaved. I popped out for a fag.
engriv%20(32).JPG

Paul had wedges & wings for his starter…
engriv%20(33).JPG

…and a whole chicken for his main.
engriv%20(35).JPG

Soulsy opted for a steak. Ren and I went for the ribs.
engriv%20(36).JPG

I thought the food was poor. The ribs were too chewy and dry. The chips were not fluffy enough and the salad was limp. I did complain and handed mine back. It was terrible. Soulsy said his food was poor but he didn’t complain as he was starving. On the flipside, Ren really enjoyed the ribs and Paul demolished his grub with enthusiastic gusto. Still, my pint of Carlsberg tasted ok. I guess the place is hit or miss, or depends on your palette.

Bear this in mind if you head to Torquay…
engriv%20(38).JPG

If you’re begging in the first place, somehow I don’t think you could afford a £1,000 fine. Still, not once did I see a tramp!

This conservatory style building is a trendy plastic bar, a Walkabout I think. I very much doubt that was it’s original use.
engriv%20(39).JPG

Breaking from tradition, we went to a poncy wine bar.
engriv%20(40).JPG

Ren and Soulsy had a Japanese beer. I opted for a German one in a long glass. Very refreshing it was, too!
engriv%20(41).JPG

The theme of this day out seemed to be “Deal or No Deal.” Every time a woman walked past, it would be “deal” if they were fit, or “no deal” if they were rank. We started off being quite discreet about it, yet the more drunk we became, the more vocal we were.

Soulsy spots a “deal.”
engriv%20(42).JPG

Then a “no deal.”
engriv%20(43).JPG

By now Ren was quite pissed and got “arty” with my camera.
engriv%20(44).JPG

engriv%20(45).JPG

Soulsy and I decided to mess about…
engriv%20(46).JPG

…as Paul and Ren looked on disgusted.
engriv%20(47).JPG

We enjoyed a few more beers by the waterfront. Very cosmopolitan. Loads of outside drinking areas, no rowdy chavs, just plenty of relaxed people enjoying a quiet beer on a sunny evening. There were plenty of foreigners about visiting. A load of school groups and everybody was well behaved.

Time was now against us so we went back to the car. Why does Ren look coy?
engriv%20(48).JPG

Ah, I see why…
engriv%20(49).JPG

And then we left Torquay, hitting a few remote pubs on the way back home. The camera was put away for this part. After all, we were quite drunk and the four of us wanted to just enjoy ourselves. Boys will be boys and there are some things we do not like documented!

So that concludes my little trip to some of the big destinations in the UK. At the end of the day, I’m a southerner and always will be. I do like the north and I enjoyed my time up there but I wouldn’t want to live up there. I’m sure northerners think the same about the south. I found people are friendlier up north and have more time for one another but the south is my home. It’s where my roots are and it’s where I want to continue to grow.

Oh, if you’re wondering if we saw any chipboard in Torquay. Of course, we did…
engriv%20(50).JPG

But at least it was on a “Gold Shop!” :p

:beer: