What's new

The Big Sheep | Big One | Zierer Tivoli

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Re: The Big Sheep | Unknown name | Zierer Tivoli

Big One clone, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Also, isn't Cosmic Typhoon Devon's tallest/longest coaster?

bmac

Giga Poster

Oh my god, now that's how you advertise a ride!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

That use of "mph" when the rest of the units are in Metric is kind of... odd. I mean, it sure makes sense for you Brits, but an uneducated mountain monkey such as myself would think that all the "m"s stood for the same word. Either, this ride is slow as molasses (27 metres per hour is slower than certain parts of your digestive system), or Devon can look forward to a ride 400 miles long and 13 miles tall. Truly a BIG one deserving of the Caps Lock. Too bad you'd need to be 1.2 miles tall to ride it, though.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

elephant58 said:
Big One clone, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Also, isn't Cosmic Typhoon Devon's tallest/longest coaster?

It currently is, but is a measly 35ft tall compared to this mammoth which will stand at 47.7ft.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Because I'm a fool I read that as being 400m tall. Well I'm a knob.

This has been in the pipeline for about as long as I've been an enthusiast so it's good to see it finally happening.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Pokemaniac said:
That use of "mph" when the rest of the units are in Metric is kind of... odd.

Yes and no.

It seems odd to mix metric and imperial, but when it comes to speed, the UK still generally uses MPH over KPH. Speed limits etc. are all still posted in MPH. It sort of makes sense in the UK, where most people don't really use, or understand, KPH. Well, they understand what it is, obviously, but it's not a great frame of reference for speed for most people.

However, they could have made it appear faster by using KPH, as Alton did with their 100KPH!!!!! for Rita, so they've sort of missed a trick there. It's not as if their "advertising" has had much thought or effort gone into elsewhere though I guess.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

I was going to say a whole rant on converting the 27 mph to ".00005 Fortnights per Siriometer" or whatever, but I'll leave that up to Pokemaniac.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

^I do believe you mean "siriometers per fortnight", which would be a lovely way to measure speed if it was easier to get numbers on the same scale as other measuring systems. In other words, digits roughly between 0 and 100 for everyday situations. I was actually going to propose the use of kilofurlongs per fortnight, which usually ends up with numbers of "everyday size". In this case, 27 mph is 72.58 kf/fn. Siriometers per gigayear works too, but only barely since one Sm/Gyr is less than 0.1 mph (this coaster clocks in at 2.54 Sm/Gyr). In other words, you'd have to get up to rather drastic speeds to push the needle past 10.

Alternately, you could up the ante a little, citing a speed of 39 000 sheppeys per dog year. Looks good on a poster or a billboard, at least. Though for practical purposes, you'd mostly be using either kilosheppeys or millidogyears, or even divide the dog year into 365 dog days, which would yield a speed of 106.8 Shp/Dd.

The problem with listing alternate units of speed is that speed is a derivative of length and time, and only the former has had a myriad of measurement units throughout history. You have units such as leagues, hands, horselenghts or beard-seconds to pick from, whereas unusual units of time are mostly delecated to fractions of a century (one microcentury = 52 minutes 36 seconds) or denoting extremely small intervals such as ticks, shakes, or jiffies (owing to their origin in computer science). The fortnight seems to be the only time unit of practical size between "ridiculously short" and "ridiculously long" aside from the more widely-used units. This means you have to compensate with really big or really small units of length to get speed numbers of a relateable size, which just looks forced.

*sigh*. Ain't easy complaining about the Imperial System...

nadroJ

CF Legend

OMG! Actual construction! Dreams do come true <3

11112855_10153205197284855_3232825033766141815_n.jpg

Martyn B

CF Legend

Well so far it doesn't look as bad as I imagined it would!

DelPiero

Strata Poster

The coaster is nearly finished and they are building the station this week. They will be running a "Name-The-Ride" competition on FB at some point. There are some pics of the track on Twitter that random GP folk posted.
They don't have a confirmed opening date yet

mouse

Giga Poster

Finally, a world class coaster opening near me. I may have to go and whore it, although I can imagine it would be similar to Intimidator 305 in its rerideability.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

elephant58 said:
^^I thought it was going to be called 'The Big One'?
Nope, they told me they will be "taking suggestions for names, so please watch out for this on Facebook"

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

Now, that has to be the longest train ever on a coaster!

Looks quite good though for a large family coaster from a small park.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Yeah, this STILL hasn't opened...

Apparently they've been set-back by the Smiler crash and as a result have been implementing some safety stuff... Not sure what these things could be given this only has one train though... But does explain a bit why we've heard nothing since the testing a month ago...

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

Nemesis Inferno said:
Yeah, this STILL hasn't opened...

Apparently they've been set-back by the Smiler crash and as a result have been implementing some safety stuff... Not sure what these things could be given this only has one train though... But does explain a bit why we've heard nothing since the testing a month ago...

Sounds like maybe they just wanted the negative hype to die down before advertising it maybe?

Looks like a nice little coaster though, never been to the park but have only heard good things about it.