What's new

The big one. Furie's trip with ECG across the East Coast!

Ben

CF Legend
Boulder Dash is ****ing awesome and should be everyone's number one.

That's all there is to say.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
Boulder Dash is ****ing awesome and should be everyone's number one.

That's all there is to say.

There's still El Toro, Griffon, Talon, Storm Runner, Ka and Phoenix left to cover on this report yet... Of course, I'm not giving anything away yet as to what made it where just yet (if at all in some cases :( ).

But yes, Bizarro was a tentative "possibly number one, but I'll really have to think about it" - Boulder Dash was "without a single doubt straight to the top, nothing comes even close".

Ben

CF Legend
furie said:
There's still El Toro, Griffon, Talon, Storm Runner, Ka and Phoenix left to cover on this report yet... Of course, I'm not giving anything away yet as to what made it where just yet (if at all in some cases :( ).

Yeah, but, if you prefer any of them, it'll only be because you're wrong. :wink:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Day 4 – Hersey Park
Expected Highlights
Difficult one this one to say what the expected highlights were. I’ve seen most of the rides at Hershey mentioned over time, but it’s rare you see the park actually mentioned holistically. Storm Runner is often brought out as a great example of Intamin Accelerators. Great Bear is touted as a very good B&M Invert. Roller Soaker is a quirky interactive coaster mentioned from time to time. Lightning Racer is an exceptionally photogenic coaster I’ve had a keen eye on for many years. There’s also the memorably named Sooper Dooper Looper and GCI’s first ever coaster. So all in all, lots of good stuff – but I never knew beforehand that they all sat in the same park!!!

So looking at that, I guess they’re all highlights, but the biggest is the fact that it’s being claimed as probably the second best park I’ll visit while there. I had my doubts and thought that it would be a saccharine, sweet kids park based on the chocolate bar – fortunately, I was wrong.

The day itself
We arrived early, and the day was long, so forgive me for not getting it 100% right. The park had barely opened when we turned up, and headed in a calm manner to Fahrenheit. The queue wasn’t as bad as Jerry was expecting, so we jumped in just in case it got rammed later on. It was about 20 minutes in the heat (not the best queue line to be honest) and then on and front row.

d31.jpg

Fahrenheit running through a corkscrew.

We headed out then through the park towards Storm Runner, taking in the Boomerang on the way. We’d not seen Storm Runner launch yet, and hoped it was just having some work done before testing. It became clear very quickly this was not the case. A quick ask around and Jerry found out it was down (and had been all season) waiting for a new part. This was a bit of a pain, as I’ve done a fair number of “interesting” accelerators and wanted another for my collection (in the vain hope of finding one I like :p ). So it’s a shame, but not a massive blow for me really.

d32.jpg

Dead Storm Runner

Trailblazer, Arrow mine train – yawn.

Down then to Great Bear. I was excited by this, as I wanted another B&M invert to add to my list of two. I need to put Nemesis into perspective and find out if there is better, and if not, why not. I love Nemesis and really enjoy Inferno, and until this trip would have said the B&M inverts were my favourite ride type.

d34.jpg

Great Berr!

I enjoyed Great Bear (back row, much to Jerry’s chagrin) and liked the way it interacted with the other rides. The log flume looked really nice too from the Great Bear queue, so we rode that as it was next door. Oddly dry flume, but loved the little launch before the splash – airtime from a flume!!! :)

d33.jpg

This is the water splash on the flume – loved the water falls.

Arrow pain next, Sooper Dooper Looper and then the classic out and back – Comet. Nothing is really making my heart flutter yet at the park – other than the park itself. I loved the place. It’s such a superb looking park, so relaxed and picturesque. For those who know of my love of Alton will understand why I enjoyed the park with all the hills, shortcut paths through trees and shades and the number of water features littered around. We had lunch at the BBQ grill – was very yum indeed!

d35.jpg

What are you looking at down there kids?

d36.jpg

Ahhh! Feeding the Goslings!

Heading off then for what Jerry classed as a bit of British madness – Roller Soaker without swimming costumes (No! NOT naked – in our clothes like we’d ride a wet ride over here). Jerry and the Kid practiced with the water bombs to make sure they could soak us, and Minor_Furie and I just failed to have a clue on how to use the water drop from the coaster. Fortunately, The Kid was distracted so we only got a mild soaking, rather than getting wet through to the skin! Good fun, but not on a coaster front – great way to cool off in the heat of the day.

d37.jpg

THIS looks like the way to cool down. Muhassive water section by Lightning Racer.

Finally though, we’re heading to what I’ve longingly looked at for years – Lightning Racer. I’m not expecting a great ride, but just one which is fun enough but looks superb. Review later, but we rode it a fair few times before moving on if it helps ;)

Wildcat I think next (GCI twister), then the Wild Mouse (typical MS mouse). Back then to see the rest of the park I seem to remember. We rode Fahrenheit again and Great Bear a couple more times (I had to ride it a few times, things were dawning).

A quick break for a while on the Condor ride and a trip to the zoo. Nice relaxed pace, no real rush, just soaking up the glorious weather and the gorgeous park.

d3b.jpg

Bald porcupine! Very bizarre.

We rounded the day off with about an hour of continuous riding on Lightning Racer. I think we managed 12 times without actually leaving our seat. Again, says something about the quality of the coaster ;)

Reviews
Fahrenheit
Mixed bag this one. The vertical lift hill is pretty much the same as a Eurofighter, as is the drop – only with the longer trains it’s a little different. So nothing I haven’t done a lot and it didn’t do much for me still – they’re okay.

The rest of the ride is a mix of Speed Monster, Colossus (Thorpe) and Rita a bit really. It’s obviously smoother and nicer than Colossus and Rita, but I don’t think it will be in five years time. So it was all a mix of something I’ve already done before. As such, I didn’t find the ride remarkable, but it IS quite good fun, and the Norwegian Loop is still a great element. 8/10

d39.jpg

The Kid does the Fahrenheit jig!

Sidewinder
Boomerang – not as bad as it could have been. 6/10 (because I do still love the station pass through on the drop).

Storm Runner
Shut – it would have sucked anyway :p 0/10

Trailblazer
Pretty dull Arrow minetrain, really not a lot to write home about other than it went through some nice scenery. 5/10

Great Bear
Things get interesting here. I really liked Great Bear. It had a few really bad dead spots on it where it just kind of meandered. However, the good bits were really good. Forceful, fast and really great fun. I had to ride it a few times to really get a good feel for it, but to be honest, I found it hard to put up a case to put it above either Nemesis OR Inferno. In fact, it kind of made me think deeper about the whole B&M invert thing… More later.

Sooper Dooper Looper
I expected pain and… Was disappointed! Smooth enough and a bit lame really – not even a back breaker or neck bash to make it interesting. 5/10.

Comet
Fun enough classic out and back. A few woodies reminded me a bit of Big Dipper at Blackpool, and this was one of them. Some good fun, some airtime, nothing outstanding. 7/10

Wildcat
I really enjoyed this, but it was a bit bouncy at times. Good effort, but not great. I liked the speed and the twisting – it appeals to me, but it was just nothing outstanding again. 7/10.

Wildmouse thing
Best one I’ve been on, so 7/10 instead of 6. Better than Flamingoland’s or Chessie’s mouse due to being very fast and smooth.

Roller Soaker
Fun, but utterly bland as far as a coaster goes. Very wet indeed! You have been warned!!! 5/10

Lightning Racer
Best until last? I have no idea how to rate this. The ride offers just a few little bits of airtime. It’s not massively fast and loses pace in a few points.

However, the places pace is lost are where it’s doing runs against the other train, so you interact with the other train. With the two tracks leaving and joining and passing by so often, you get a lot of opportunity to goad the other train and yell at them. This just makes the ride superb fun. The fact the ride actually IS good, and smooth – means you can just keep on riding and keep on enjoying.

As far as pure ride quality goes (airtime, speed, and all the other things we look for in a coaster as enthusiasts) it’s not too hot. It’s just superb fun though – it’s hard to quantify where the fun comes from, but it is. It’s the train interaction and the fact the ride is just good enough to pull it through – while retaining an incredible re-rideability. One of the highlights of the trip so far, but I just can’t give it a rating above 8/10 really – as a pure coaster, it doesn’t really do anything. So hard to explain. Minor_Furie put it right to his number one coaster spot though. Maybe the kids have the right idea.

d38.jpg

The Lightning Racer face!

Conclusions
Hershey Park is excellent. It’s a superb park to visit and one of the best park days I’ve had in a very long time. It had the atmosphere of Oakwood, with the quality of “good” Tussauds (i.e. early 90’s when everything was new) and the rides of the best big parks out there. Just pure and simple enjoyment at the park.

They also had a mini tumble bug I thought I’d best photograph!
d3a.jpg

The day got me thinking about things though. Lightning Racer was great fun, but not an outstanding coaster. Great Bear was excellent, but not really a great enough to really stand out from Nemesis or Inferno. It had bits that were much better, but the overall experience felt pretty much of a muchness. It’s hard to explain, but the wider experience hadn’t really changed my expectations in the way I expected. I thought I’d start to see some real differences, instead, I just saw mediocrity in the Inverts I’d been on. Still, Talon tomorrow and what Ben and a few others say is THE BEST B&M Invert. So maybe it’s just Great Bear’s dead spots killing the ride for me, but I was disappointed I only enjoyed the ride, rather than be blown away by something very different.

I do think the kids have the right idea though (slowly dawning on me) – look for fun, not stats (that you try to feel as you ride). Just enjoy the coaster and stop looking too deep. I’ll give that a go…

Weather dependent, it’s Knoebels and Dorney tomorrow, or maybe Six Flags Great Adventure. Either way, it’s going to be great if the weather is good – but very bad if the weather turns as it’s supposed to…

Hershey is a park I've always wanted to visit but have never had the means to get there yet. Sucks that you had to miss out on Stormrunner, as it's a coaster that has always caught my eye, but hey, you got on pretty much everything else, so it's not all bad. I dunno where "I hear good things about Great Bear" is coming from, because I've only ever heard it being slammed for the return run where it basically just is dead the entire time, but I've always thought it looked interesting, especially the first drop. The park itself looks gorgeous though!

More!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Okay! Is "I don't hear many bad bad things" about Great Bear better? :p

The park is really split in two. The older part from about Strom Runner down is really gorgeous. The newer bit on top is a bit concrete. It has all the water zones up there though, and it's not abysmal by any means - it's just not as nice as the lower section. The upper bit reminded me a bit of Thorpe, with the trees and landscaping - only with better rides and ones that worked and stuff :p

^ Haha, that's more like it.

And yeah, even my mom who doesn't like amusement parks saw it either on a show or in pictures or something, and said it looked really nice, so that kind of says something. It's always nice to walk around and not feel surrounded by concrete.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think in the Storm runner and Great Bear pictures you can see how nice the place is. The Storm Runner shot is taken towards Fahrenheit and you can see the trees covering the valley heading up that way.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
How long did you queue for Roller Soaker furie?

I am certainly still looking forward to Hershey, but I just don't know when to go on Roller Soaker for the credit :lol:

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, I really like Hershey, it's a bit odd, and very hilly, which can get a bit old, fast!

But, DUDE, no Storm Runner? I don't want to be a prick, but, it's probably the best Intamin Accelerator I've done, and the diving-flying-snake-dive-roll-loop-thing is AWESOME.

Sucks.

Still, Roller Soaker <3 Though we waited about 90 minutes for it...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
We waited about fifteen or twenty minutes. Capacity is atrocious, really really bad on it. However, the American GP are like sheep. They all flock to one gate, so we snook to the end row where the final queue was only four couples ahead of us. They were all oddly paired with their friends going on the other side, and couldn't arrange themselves - so they let us go in front to even the numbers. We probably saved ten minutes by doing that. We queued from just where you could see the queue peaking out of the station, so pretty close to be honest! Expect long delays!

If the park is quiet, or you've got a very long day there, I'd say do the credit like you would a kiddie coaster if it had a long queue. If your time is limited, then I wouldn't. I wanted the experience of riding one, they're interesting, but the actual ride is very dull. They are Valhalla wet though - so be warned.

Ben said:
But, DUDE, no Storm Runner? I don't want to be a prick, but, it's probably the best Intamin Accelerator I've done, and the diving-flying-snake-dive-roll-loop-thing is AWESOME.

Sucks.

Remember Ben, I don't really rate any of the accelerators I've been on, even Speed Monster which was my favourite so far. I think it sat at about 20 in my count. The launches do nothing for me, and I find Intamin rides just to jarring. Though, if it has lap bars, it makes a huge difference - if it has OTSR, then I would probably not rate it either.

I've written the next two parts of this, but I need to Jerry a chance to catch up :D

Ben

CF Legend
furie said:
We queued from just where you could see the queue peaking out of the station, so pretty close to be honest! Expect long delays!

You were lucky then! Any longer and you wait under the break run where EVERYONE drops their water... and you get soaked before getting on...

Brookes

Giga Poster
Absolutely fantastic report so far, I would love to visit some of these amazing parks and ride the awesome coasters that are there. Looks like a brilliant trip.

Tony

Hyper Poster
I'm really enjoying the Trip Reports, can't wait to see more!

Hershey Park looks like a pretty great park, sure has a good few decent looking coasters in Wildcat, Lightning Racer, Fahrenheit, Storm Runner etc.. Looking forward to the Six Flags Great Adventure Report.

I'm interested to see how you rate Batman (SFGadv) compared to Nemesis Inferno or even the original although I feel it's a weaker version than it's Madrid clone.

Snoo

The Legend
Ahh.. you missed the fantastic Storm Runner. That is a great ride, even if you do get a little roughed up towards the end.

And Great Bear is GREAT.. until the death at the end. It would be one of the best Inverts I've ever been on if it wouldn't have fell asleep after the corkscrew.

Lovin the report furie. I do find it funny that when an American does a report, no one cares, but when someone from the UK does, "OMG 4 PAGES IN ONE DAY!" :p

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^That's because they can relate to what furie posts since they have done so many parks with him & we haven't been to a single park in England. He can make direct comparisons, whereas we can only post photos & compare the park/rides with other American parks/rides.

I've fallen a bit behind due to having to catch up with work at the office after taking last week off, so let me rewind a bit.
It's a shame that we lost over an hour of ride time at SFNE due to the storm that blew over in 15 minutes. I would have loved for furie (& myself for that matter) to have gotten a few more rides on Bizarro, but I also couldn't imagine us missing the opportunity to ride Boulder Dash. We simply had to leave & hope that it wasn't raining too much an hour south at Lake Compounce.
It rained on & off throughout the drive to Bristol, Connecticut, but it was dry when we arrived at the park. Little did the furies know what they were in for (as you can tell in the photo) as we headed straight to Boulder Dash.
IMG_7212Small.jpg

But it was fun to see their jaws drop as they caught their first glimpse of the coaster whizzing by the station into the trees. A gasp & "that's very fast" was about all furie could muster as he stared in disbelief. :lol:
The queue was rather short, so he only had the opportunity to see another flyby or two before we were on the train & heading out the station for a back seat ride.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vepGiUZsms[/youtube]
As you can tell from minor_furie's reaction, they were blown away by the coaster & it was right back on for a front row ride.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxTtjjqwO2o[/youtube]
After another go round we headed off to Wildcat (does every park in America have one of these plaques?)...
LCWildcatplaque.jpg

...before the skies opened up again, forcing us to seek shelter & pray that it would stop in time for us to get in some of the other rides & a few more goes on Boulder Dash. I guess Phil is a church going man (I'm sure as hell not), because about an hour later the skies cleared & we headed back out for some riding. furie made a new friend along the way.
IMG_7220Small.jpg

The lovely pirate ship we didn't ride.
LCPirate.jpg

After giving the Boomerang a go...
LCZoomerangtrain.jpg

...we stopped at the Ghost Hunt dark shooter.
LCHauntedHouse.jpg

They had a blast (punned intended), but you'll have to watch the video to see who won.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nsWsCvnqmk[/youtube]
Since the kid & the wife were in the car behind ours, the lovely ride operator offered to take a photo for us.
IMG_7222Small.jpg

Next it was on to the screaming swing Thunder N Lightning. Too bad this weatherman couldn't do anything about the conditions.
LCLTentrance.jpg

With over three hours wasted on the day, we decided to get back to Boulder Dash before it started to rain again. The furies weren't the only ones enjoying the coaster.
IMG_7218Small.jpg

We stuck to the terrain hugger for the rest of our time at the park. The queue had disappeared after the rain, so we moved from one car to the next as furie tried to find a bad seat (a true exercise in futility). We even managed to get a double ride when closing time rolled around, bringing our Boulder Dash ride count to 9 for the day. Not bad considering the circumstances. Hmm..Someone looks like he's enjoying himself.
IMG_7223Small.jpg

The car ride consisted of plenty of discussion about Bizarro & Boulder Dash, with plenty of questions about the one & none about the other. There was one clear winner here.

----

We left for Hersheypark without the wife the following morning & arrived early to have a lovely sight awaiting us.
IMG_7248Small.jpg

Not that thing, but rather this. Definitely one of the shortest Fahrenheit queues I've seen.
IMG_7232Small.jpg

It was just long enough for minor_furie to try to get his point across...
IMG_7235Small.jpg

...and for furie to remind him who's in charge. :lol:
IMG_7236Small.jpg

Still one of my favorites even if furie wasn't overly impressed.
HPFahrenheitCobra.jpg

Then came the Boomerang followed by this awful sight.
IMG_7224Small.jpg

I couldn't believe that Storm Runner was closed & was shocked when I found out it hadn't opened at all this season & that it would be 2-3 weeks before it would be running again. With his indifference towards launch coasters, furie really doesn't realize just what he missed out on.

After credit whoring the mine train, Trailblazer, we hit up Great Bear. I have no problem overlooking the invert's dull finish due to it's speed & interaction with the surrounding coasters, but it's still nowhere near the top of my list.
HPGBLoop.jpg

The furies wanted to do the flume next & we've never been on it because I find most water rides boring, but we happily joined in. I'm glad we did because the drop is unique in the way the boats skim full speed over the water, almost getting airborne in the process. Forget about getting wet however. Hmm, what's wrong with this photo? :p
HPGBFlume.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised that Sooper Dooper Looper was walk-on (thank God). This photo was taken from the queue & does have the coaster in it (can you spot it?). Comet (in the photo as well) also had the shortest queue I've ever seen. I was thrilled because both coasters are meh & I only ride them when I'm at the park with someone who hasn't.
HPSDLGBComet.jpg

Time to head across the park & check out the Boardwalk, with a tasty lunch stop at the BBQ pit along the way. The new wave pool & lazy river looked nice, but I'm not sure they are worth sacrificing the water rapids for.
Having done the soaker coaster before, the kid & I manned the water geysers to get the timing right for when the furies made their way around. Even though the line was short, it still took forever for them to show up. I nailed them with the first blast, but Aidan was distracted by another kid who wanted to push the button & missed completely.
IMG_7225Small.jpg

They were so lucky because he was manning the big geyser & the furies would have been soaked to the bone, because he nailed everyone prior to their appearance.
IMG_7226Small-1.jpg

I wanted to save it for last, but we ended up at Lightning Racer next only to find the usual queue (or should I say the lack thereof).
HPLRQueue.jpg

There might not be much to it, but no other racer interacts with the other train quite like the way this baby does...
IMG_7242Small.jpg

...so make sure that anyone you're visiting the park with gets on the other train. Then watch each other go round & hope you come out victorious at the finish line or you're sure to hear about it.
IMG_7243Small.jpg

The boys won the first three races (2 on Lightning & 1 on Thunder) before furie & I got one back, but we moved on to the wild mouse with payback still to come.
HPCM.jpg

The races really solidified the boys friendship & they were inseparable for the rest of the day.
IMG_7227Small.jpg

furie & I were also enjoying ourselves as you can see...
IMG_7229Small.jpg

...but he needs to learn how to ride with both arms in the air. :wink:
IMG_7231Small.jpg

Wildcat provides some of the best views of the park.
HPFerrisWheel.jpg

After the woodie it was time for re-rides & Fahrenheit was back on order...
HPWCFahrenheit3.jpg

...with another short wait in the queue for the boys to mess around...
IMG_7234Small.jpg

...but the Kid didn't realize he was to short to give furie bunny ears...
IMG_7238Small.jpg

...and he was quite pleased to have gotten away with it.
IMG_7237Small.jpg

Another ride didn't change furie's opinion on Fahrenheit, so we moved on to the Claw (pictured) & Flying Falcon (not pictured), which is a very tall flying spinner that I though I would never be able to get furie to ride. He didn't let it on, but I know he was terrified.
HPClaw.jpg

With an hour left before park closing we headed back to Lightning Racer with revenge on our minds (mine & furie's that is). Isn't it just gorgeous?
IMG_7240Small.jpg

The men won the first rematch on Lightning & talked the ride ops into letting us re-ride (much to the boys chagrin) since no one was waiting in the queue. We then switched to Thunder & told the boys to remain seated on Lightning if no one was waiting in their queue. Thus began our streak on 9 straight re-rides in which the men beat the boys 7 to 2, making the overall score 8 to 5 in our favor & 14 rides on Lightning for us on the day.
IMG_7244Small.jpg

Coming up on the losing end didn't seem to bother the boys in the slightest.
IMG_7245Small.jpg

Thus ended the best day of furie's visit so far, in spite the disappointment of Storm Runner's unavailability. A great park with a wide selection of rides & possibly the single most fun coaster on the planet, but what would tomorrow have in store?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Day 4
Looked at the weather and it was bad all over. However, there seemed to be a higher chance of thunder storms over Great Adventure - a definite way to close the rides. The rain though was pretty much guaranteed over Pennsylvania. However, it looked patchy, so the chances looked better for the Knoebels/Dorney trip – even though it was likely to be wet.
Knoebels
Knoebels was up first as Dorney was due to stay open until 8:00 that evening. So we pottered off across the countryside to this slightly odd park.
Expected Highlights
The obvious here is just the park! It’s an intriguing place set in the woods with pay per ride. Family run and very friendly towards the, erm, old farts really :)

Phoenix is the standout ride, with rave reviews from everyone I’ve heard who has been on it.

Other than that, a great chance to get to see what is going on with the gorgeous Flying Turns!

The day itself

Wet, wet, wet, cold, wet and cold – not particularly in that order. Rain was light to moderate as we entered the park and wandered around trying to decide what to do. Wristbands were cheap that day ($19.99 each), but one look at the sky told us there was no way we’d get our monies worth. So we lumped £20 together and got a handful of tickets between us. With rides between 75 cents and $2 or so, we should be okay, and we could always buy more in we needed to.

One of the first things I saw was the glorious bumper cars – they’re divine!
d41.jpg

We didn’t do the dodgems, but headed right for Phoenix… Via the Flying Turns.

d43.jpg

This ride looks delicious in the extreme! Lots of work going on, wood lying around and a confusing mass of footers. We tried to get a grip of what the ride was like, but failed. We couldn’t really work out what was going on at all… We promised to try and find somebody to ask a little later on ;)

Onto Phoenix then, the rain was still relatively light and didn’t cause too much face slapping pain.

Moving on then to Twister, which I was quite looking forward to, it looked my kind of coaster – and it was. Rain turned quite vicious now though, so we sheltered in the mass of Twister track for a while.

I managed to convince Jerry he should let me ride 1001 Nachts! This used to be my favourite ride at Alton Towers about 22 years ago. Worst case of aberystwyth ( http://folk.uio.no/alied/TMoL.html ) I’ve ever come across! . Ho hum. While on the ride the heavens really opened and we made a trek to the covered eating area to grab lunch.

We were pretty soaked by this point, Minor_Furie particularly so. I had to go and hunt him down a new hoodie to help him warm up.

d46.jpg

Maybe leaving the big stick of ice alone would help you warm up Minor_Furie? :p

We only had a few tickets left, so invested an extra 25cents and went into the Haunted House (on recommendation). After that, it was a quick look around the museum to see if the rain was looking like it might ease off.

It didn’t seem to be, but we still had to get answers to the problem of the Flying Turns. A security lady (shocked we were so interested in the fairground museum, but NOT the mining museum) pointed us towards the main office.

The office was brilliant actually, and brought home what an excellent little park this is. Nobody hiding behind a corporate façade here. The office is open and you can see it’s a friendly kind of atmosphere. There was an old engineer came to chat to us and we asked him if he could enlighten us about the Flying Turns. He said he was just the right person, and came out to meet us. His name? Dick Knoebel! None other than the President of Knoebels – the man in charge of the Flying Turns. Very nice man, who answered our questions and gave us a run down of all the problems and modifications. Brilliant to talk to and great guy. Though he told us to go away and take our British weather with us! :lol: There’s a news item in the making with all the details of that brief meeting!

d47.jpg

Some of the new work on the Flying Turns.

We ran then from the rain, our fingers crossed the rain was here and not at Dorney. If it was this hard over there, it’s unlikely we’d find anything running…

Reviews
Phoenix
Quite excited about this coaster due to the rave “air time” reviews it gets! Jerry says it’s a two hat coaster:
d45.jpg
:p

What a shame. Something was badly up with poor Phoenix. There was nothing happening on this ride at all. It was barely making it over the hills and squealed its way around the corners. Seriously a dead duck of a ride. Jerry was very shocked by the poor quality of it too and we left the ride bemused by its complete lack of oomph!

d44.jpg

The lift hill was probably the fastest part of the ride.

I know the ride is supposed to be good, but even running poorly, I’ve never known a ride give such a contrast in quality. I’d struggle to give the coaster a 6/10. It was running so slowly, there was just nothing at all to it. Real shame :(

Twister
This was more like it! The ride was running fast and wild. It’s just my kind of ride with sudden pops of ejector and wild, fast twists and turns. I really enjoyed the ride, even though the rain hurt a lot. It’s not a killer coaster, but easily a solid 8/10!

d48.jpg

Woosh goes the train!

1001 Nachts
Some things are best left in the past…

Ghost house
Cheesy, fun, entertaining and busy. Not in the slightest bit scary, but a great fun ride! One for those who enjoy the quainter dark rides. 8/10.

Conclusions
Knoebels is an odd one - it’s a park lost in time. The rides there are pretty much all classics in one way or another. There are a couple of newer flat rides, but by and large, you’ll struggle to find a ride less than 25 years old. There are all kinds of quirky and odd things about, like this:
d42.jpg

And it’s a wonderful park to meander around. It’s all hidden away in trees and behind old houses and things – there’s nothing else in the world quite like it.
I’d have loved to have had a nice day and the chance to really get to ride some more rides. The wet and cold just stopped us really. The weather is probably also responsible for Phoenix being so poor. It was so poor I couldn’t even imagine how it could be good.

It’s a park I’ll have to head back to, if only to prove Phoenix wrong and to get on the Flying Turns.

Next, will Dorney open any of its rides in the rain, or will we leave without the exciting Talon on our books?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
There's not too much for me to add here. Please read my entry on the Flying Turns construction topic:
http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6105&start=96

I have to agree with furie on Phoenix & I'm truely flabbergasted. Never have I seen anything like it. Most woodies love the rain when the track gets all slick & the train just flies around, but the opposite was the case here. No speed=no airtime & Phoenix without airtime=no fun. Simply unbelievable & if I hadn't experienced it myself I would never believe it. However El Toro also suffers from a similar sickness & only runs great in the dry, hot sunshine. But the Wild Bull still runs good in the cold rain, which can't be said about Phoenix. It was just meh.
At least Twister came through to save the day for us.
minor_furie & I rode the haunted house together & found it a bit too cheesy to be considered good, much less great. However furie seems to have enjoyed it.
IMG_7265Small.jpg

I need to mention the food. It's awesome (& inexpensive), so don't eat until after you arrive. Just bring your appetite & chow down. 'Nuff said!
I also want to comment a bit more on the park history museum (room in the rear of the mining museum). I thank the weather for sending me off looking for this hidden gem & regret that I didn't take any photos. Please take the time to search it out if only to take a glance around. It's full of great old photos of rides & coasters, plus the timeline is worth the time investment alone. Seeing the photos of the floods that ravaged the park also gives you a greater appreciation for Knoebels, the family & all they have done.

Finally I have to post these photos as I never had the need to visit the restrooms while at the park & was taken aback with what I found.
Yes, all toilets are without seats...
IMG_7250Small.jpg

...and all doors are without handles or locks.
IMG_7251Small.jpg

So be careful to check under the stalls before entering.
:wink: