What's new

The Best Theme/Amusement Park In The UK?

Robbie

Hyper Poster
A tie with Alton and Blackpool for me. I used to like just wandering around BPB without necessarily riding anything, but as it's now a level playing field I'd probably plum for Alton

Mysterious Sue said:
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I liked all the parks in the UK :)
You've obviously never made it to Camelot!
I quite like Camelot. Yes, it's rubbish but endearingly so.

MJNemesis

Roller Poster
1) It has to be Alton Towers. In my eyes the the only 'proper' Theme Park in the UK. The zones feel believable because of the fact they are completely separated and don't 'bleed' into one another atop a tarmac jungle like Thorpe Park. When I was a youngster, Alton Towers was the ultimate and I remember one day sitting in awe as a friend described Nemesis to me (trying to mimic the layout by snaking his arms around). Before the Internet, I only ever saw it in an old Polaroid photo. When I finally got to go back in 01' (aged about 14), I was blown away by the reality of it. It seems to have fizzled out a bit on coaster terms but they are all pretty great and I could stand and just watch Nemesis for hours. It's also the only park where you can get lost in the middle of a forest and then completely forget you are in a theme park! All they need now is a huge woody along the lines of Son of Beast and we'd have a world beater! (We can all dream).

2) Blackpool Pleasure Beach... It has oldschool charm and is crammed with really cool rides. It gets 2nd spot just for sheer fun and how casual it all feels. Pepsi Max was always said to be the biggest coaster in the world when I was a child and I imagined airplanes crashing into it or something. The reality isn't so great but it is an icon. Also us UK'ers have a rare choice of woodies up there and although I feel like I'm cheating on my beloved Nemesis by saying this; admittedly Grand National is my favourite coaster for the insane airtime on the 1st drop alone. Last time I visited they had a crazy good flat ride called Bling which was like the love child of a Top Scan and an Inverter Ship. Oh plus they have a Vekoma SLC which is unfathomably rough but a rare find. Don't buy Beef in Oyster sauce Noodles from the Noodle Booth though unless you really want a carton of Spaghetti in fishy water! :?

3) Thorpe Park... it has become incredible. It's my local 'proper' park and as I know it so well I never feel like I've lost out if I don't end up riding much. Colossus proved they were upping their game and since then it has gone drastically uphill. The sheer choice alone is amazing and I will always love them for relocating my favourite flat ride (Samurai). I went today to sample The Swarm and it was beyond words. Smooth as silk and a great concept. I look forward to what comes next! My only issue with the park is how compact it is thus making the 'zoning' not very convincing as it all just melts into one area. Also I noticed they sold way too many Fast Track tickets today so the fast track queues were topping 1hr and as they are priority, it was making standard queues unbearable with inaccurate time readings at the queue entrances.
It needs maybe some better queue management during peak times as they seem unable to manage their fast track system even when under capacity. Surely fast track should be limited!

4) Chessington... OK, I haven't been for nearly 10yrs but it was very fun. Last time I went I remember the best being: Rattlesnake, Rameses' Revenge, Samurai and Vampire. Now Samurai has gone to Thorpe Park and I can ride a Top Spin at AT (Ripsaw) as well as a Spinball coaster (Sonic Spinball) I have no reason to go again until I have children. I remember it being very calm and laid back though.

Others... Southend Adventure Island is a good laugh; it has a large selection of flatties and Rage is a random but fun Euro Figher that popped up. Also don't forget to try the Pleasure Beach in Great Yarmouth. They have the truely ancient woody simply called 'Roller Coaster' with a guy who operates the brake from the middle of the train. A must-ride, if not a bit on the sketchy side!