What's new

The American Football Thread

Snoo

The Legend
I know you were RCF. :p

Nope, Clemson is not ranked atm.

And, of course, most people who criticize Football for wearing pads really haven't truly played it in its real form, on the field, 11 on 11. I have played on Friday nights, gotten hit and taken a hit, experienced everything that comes with High School Football and it really is nothing like Rugby (something I've played also) and is a truly awesome sport.

To compare the two is really foolish IMO. I have a feeling someone is gonna reply.. definitely a brit.. but hey.. let me take the padding off of those soccer players shins and then kick them as hard as I can.. see how much 'ridiculous' padding is necessary then.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with Snoo. I grew up in a Rugby town and played for a local team and the school. I know about Rugby - both League and Union (local team was League, school was Union).

I've also looked at American football a bit (but I will never claim to be an expert).

The difference seems to be all about the way that players are "checked" - stopped in their tracks.

In Rugby, the idea is take out the lower body using a "tackling" technique. American football is much more about a kind of "rutting" ;) Like stags locking horns, it's all about upper body - hence the requirement for armour.

Again, American football is different in that it's a tactical game. Players are used deliberately to block other players from getting to the poor guy carrying the ball.

In rugby, the game is about (mostly) passing skill, keeping the ball moving from player to player and avoiding getting tackled. Imagine the uproar if in rugby, the prop forwards on the team without the ball walked up to the other sides props and grabbed them if they didn't have the ball. The penalty whistle for obstruction would be out very quickly.

Now, I don't really know much about American football, but what I do know, I can see that the padding is required. Okay, I don't think American football players are quite as hard as rugby players ( ;) ), but they're certainly not soft because they require it. The key word there being require

I've also heard a lot of people say that college football is much, much better. There's a lot more flow to the game compared to pro football, because there aren't the sanctioned breaks, etc. It's much more focused on the actual game. Let's face it, scrums and line outs break up the flow of rugby too.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Then again, I don't understand how you can be tackled in rugby but still have possesion until the 6th time. That is stupidly stupid.

Snoo

The Legend
furie said:
Now, I don't really know much about American football, but what I do know, I can see that the padding is required. Okay, I don't think American football players are quite as hard as rugby players ( Wink ), but they're certainly not soft because they require it. The key word there being require

I've also heard a lot of people say that college football is much, much better. There's a lot more flow to the game compared to pro football, because there aren't the sanctioned breaks, etc. It's much more focused on the actual game. Let's face it, scrums and line outs break up the flow of rugby too.Now, I don't really know much about American football, but what I do know, I can see that the padding is required. Okay, I don't think American football players are quite as hard as rugby players ( Wink ), but they're certainly not soft because they require it. The key word there being require

I've also heard a lot of people say that college football is much, much better. There's a lot more flow to the game compared to pro football, because there aren't the sanctioned breaks, etc. It's much more focused on the actual game. Let's face it, scrums and line outs break up the flow of rugby too.

I do agree.. I considered Rugby to be much harder to play than football, and the people I know who play Rugby are some of the toughest guys I know, but as you said, football players aren't to be considered weak because of the padding.. because I know some guys who could rip my head off with one arm.

As far as college football goes, I'm more of a fan because of the tradition, the focus on the actual game, the effect each game has to the season, basically everything that professional football is not.

You look at schools and players.. where they can't be traded or sponsored.. and they pick a school and stay there.. where the fan bases are INCREDIBLE (Being an Ohio State fan, I can attest).. it just makes watching it/going/playing it so much better. It is much like Soccer over in Britain.. minus the ads.. some guys live and die by their teams.. THAT is what sports should be about.. not by how long the commercial is and how many ads you have.

RCF

Strata Poster
^ I agree. It's almost like they're not poisoned yet (unlike Micheal Crabtree :wink: ) They're still pure and really play for the fun of it whereas in NFL they're all bigheaded idiots who get overpayed and complain too much and not make decisions when everyone wants them to, and I'm not just talking about Brett Favre here either. I hate when they've got the biggest ego and they act all cool when they suck.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Even though there's a few NFL dissenters in here, and even though he can't make his mind up on when he's actually gonna retire. I gotta hand it to Brett Favre pissing on the Packers the other day. He's still got the vision, fitness and the skill at nearly 40 years old. And his 32-yard touchdown pass in the last seconds in the 49ers game was also pretty special.

CMonster

Giga Poster
Aww, tough luck, CJ. Texas is now third, and the top two spots are taken by SEC teams, the way it should be. :wink:

And the Buccaneers completely suck, and I doubt they'll win a game this season. :(

Snoo

The Legend
^Meh, like every season, they will blow a game, and the SEC will drop down with us lovely Big Ten teams once again.

RCF

Strata Poster
^ I think you mean Big 12 :wink: . Broncos 6-0 baby! And Corey I honestly am focused on the Broncs right now but since we sucked against Colorado AND Oklahoma, I'm still a bit peeved.

RCF

Strata Poster
^That made me lol. :lol: I thought you guys would win against the Redskins but I was sadly mistaken. You had it but it just fell out (like the SEC will :wink: )

I've actually been thinking.. What exactly IS a Buckeye? At first I thought it was a horse but then looking at your sig, Marcus, I wasn't sure.

^ LOL what?! First I thought they were horses, then I thought no, maybe they're Indians! Then I thought the leaf was just the state leaf, not what an actual Buckeye is. So the smiley face in your picture is actually.. A nut?

Dang, sounds almost as badass as the Toronto.. Maple Leafs. FEAR THEM! :p