What's new

Texas Giant opening date confirmed

Am I still the only person who thinks this thing is ugly as sin?

Ride looks good, but it's such a horrid Heath Robinson affair...

"Pass the masking tape, we need a bit more support over there... somewhere..."

furie said:
Am I still the only person who thinks this thing is ugly as sin?

Ride looks good, but it's such a horrid Heath Robinson affair...

"Pass the masking tape, we need a bit more support over there... somewhere..."

Now after seeing the new ones yes, yes I do.

Don't worry furie, I still think it looks like a Sim Themepark creation.

Not necessarily as bad as Son of Beast's toothpick design though. :razz:

Extra support

Those extra support seems to have been installed after the testing. was there some unnessary buckling in the wooden supports during testing? If so, why use metal bracing? This is still connsidered a wooden coaster. Seems cheesy to have to help out the wooden structure with metal bracing. I agree though, it is all about the experience, which I believe will a good one. Sorry to see all the trees get removed. Cant wait to ride,

The steel supports are stronger than wood, and are likely going to be less expensive, so they don't have to re-engineer another entire section of wood support, and place the footers for them. The steel they used doesn't need many footers (looks like only a handful) and there's not a whole lot of steel there, so it was probably the most cost effective method (as well as the quickest way to do the job, so the ride can open on time).

Wooden coasters use steel all the time, mostly for crossover support. I vaguely recall seeing some that use steel for turns that hug the ground.

Re: Extra support

megadrum2002 said:
This is still connsidered a wooden coaster.
We've had that debate. The general concensus is that the track type defines the coaster type. This now has steel track, hence most people would now consider this a steel coaster, not a wooden one.

It may be ugly, but part of me likes the insane patch-job look of this. It just adds to the insanity of one of the craziest looking roller coasters I've seen in years.

Blatantly a steel coaster, no matter whatever record the park will try and claim for "steepest wooden".

I agree on the looking ugly part as well, though I'm sure the ride experience will be great.

I don't know why, but every time I look at it, I can't help feeling that something is about to go horribly, horribly wrong.

Went on this a few years back and thought it was inSANE! I This may actually be a reason for me to go back to Texas. I didn't get to go to SFFT while I was there

gavin said:
I don't know why, but every time I look at it, I can't help feeling that something is about to go horribly, horribly wrong.
Facebook like :thumbright:

Sure you can copy them. I've done it several times in other threads. :wink:

180412_10150138064970991_65853440990_8452475_6296354_n.jpg

182261_10150138064800991_65853440990_8452473_580723_n.jpg

180065_10150138064900991_65853440990_8452474_2130408_n.jpg

If you're talking about the new silly theater photo viewer, all you need to do is hit F5 or take out the "&theater" in the link. Then you can right-click and "Copy Image Location" like always. :wink:

Really though, what was Facebook thinking? :roll:

A picture has been posted on Screamscape of the new entrance sign to the Texas Giant. I can't post it from the school computers so just follow the link. It looks pretty snazzy.

EDIT: Here it is!

2011_0222_TexasGiantSign.jpg

And SFOT posted on their Facebook page a new panoramic view from the MCBR: http://occip.it/pt42ceyp