Sw7 and other world's firsts

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's you.

That's like saying "everything that has been invented, has been invented."

Thankfully there are people in this world with imaginations and can see beyond what already exists.

Where the next concept comes from is blank in my mind, but I'm not paid to dream these ideas up.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hijacking the n00b topic :)

I keep looking at the new Gardaland coaster and thinking "shame it's not a 4D".

I can see why 4D is a struggle, it's a very complicated bit of technology, expensive and prone to faults.

So I started thinking... What about cars that always stay level at 90 degrees to the floor?

You could probably use a weighting mechanism to do it? I know we have the zak-spins or whatever they're called that flip the cars around, but what about a level coaster?

There are people here know a lot more about forces and the like, but imagine the willy lift? It would be like a cross between a drop tower and a coaster.

You could have vertical dropping track, but the riders on the train stay level and just "drop tower" down. What kind of forces would you get cresting parabolic hills if your level of pitch stayed flat?

Anyone know what I'm saying? Anyone any ideas on what it would be like???

Richie

Hyper Poster
^ There's a coaster type exactly like that on RCT3. I think it's with the wild extension pack. I used to love making those.

marc

CF Legend
Yes I can see what you mean, but I think there would be to many G invloved which is why the old drop towers that had track at the end put you on your back.

If you drop with the coaster floor flat and then to goes to a flat part of track I just think there would be to much strain on the train and the riders backs and neck. I think the drop would be the only problem though. Thats if it a big coaster if it was only say 50ft and did not pick up much speed it would probably be ok.

Maybe I have misunderstood you :)

Richie

Hyper Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4IBkwyLx4s[/youtube]
The coaster type is called "Dizzy Dropper" on RCT3.

There's loads more videos of them on youtube. I think it'd be pretty cool, but if you were going backwards after a drop it might be quite uncomfortable.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The dizzy dropper ride is more like the zak-spin, but in essence, the way the car is always flat, yes.

marc said:
Yes I can see what you mean, but I think there would be to many G invloved which is why the old drop towers that had track at the end put you on your back.

If you drop with the coaster floor flat and then to goes to a flat part of track I just think there would be to much strain on the train and the riders backs and neck. I think the drop would be the only problem though. Thats if it a big coaster if it was only say 50ft and did not pick up much speed it would probably be ok.

Maybe I have misunderstood you :)

Yeah, I think you're right that the forces would be hefty on a vertical drop at the bottom, but you could use trims (essentially the same brakes as a drop tower) or a drawn out curve to flat again to even out the Gs?

I'd love to draw something... Give me ten mins ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Okay Marc :p

In this case it may make it better ;)

coasterthing.jpg

Okay, so the track is relatively "traditional". The yellow blobs are a traditional coaster train. The red triangles are the seats, and the arrows show the level the riders are at (their view if you like).

Of course, my question, as it should be is this: Is the benefit of the ride worth the effort involved in producing the technology for both the cars and design constraints for overcoming the high positive Gs?

Would the airtime be significantly different to a traditional coaster to make it worthwhile?

I honestly don't know, I don't know enough about either the engineering or physics involved to be able to answer it - but it's potentially another world's first, even if it's just an amalgamation of previous ideas :)

*MS Paint skills to rival Ian's :p

A

Anonymous

andrus

Giga Poster
nemesisamazing said:
Is it me or is there not much more worlds 1st ideas to do... :eek:
I'm sure we will see more new concepts in the future. But for now I think the next logical step in the bussines would be to develope the wing walker train concept and apply it too all different types of rides, eg hypers and mega loopers. If B&M can make a smaller and cheaper version of S&S 4D-coaster I'm sure that'll be the next huge hit as well!

Inverse

Hyper Poster
haha... An outside loop. That'll be rather uncomfortable and would require the world's greatest restraints. But I don't think it should be ruled out, maybe one day.

A

Anonymous

^^ That would easily work with a B&M flying coaster, just enter a Pretzel loop right of the lift...

alexdude98

Mega Poster
Maybe restraints like the ones on Air at Alton Towers? But remember... I thought of it (this outside loop idea) first! :p

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
It's just occured to me that Phil's idea is very similar to the S&S free fly, except Phil's goes up and down instead of inline twists.

I love the look of the free fly.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Joey said:
It's just occured to me that Phil's idea is very similar to the S&S free fly, except Phil's goes up and down instead of inline twists.

I love the look of the free fly.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's where the idea came from :)

The Free Fly does look awesome too. I think it's the idea of staying level really appeals to me :)

Oh, and outside loops on conventional coasters just can't be done. The speed you need to loop creates too much in the way of negative g-force and would kill all the riders.

It could be done using a "controlled" speed, using electric motors or something, but it couldn't be done through a normal loop procedure (speed). Well, not unless you change the seating position of the rider as you enter it (like a flyer, or X).