What's new

Surf Rider Incident at Botton's

Ben

CF Legend
Haha, that photo looks like they're on the Titanic <3

And yeah, I don't trust these rides, so I don't touch them with a barge pole now. Why do people BOTHER with vulg flats, they all just collapse <//3

PS

Liseberg is a popular tourist destination in Sweden and the biggest fun fair park in the Nordic region

<3

Martyn B

CF Legend
Finally, this is the first report I've read that doesn't sound like it was written by a child:

A RAPID and coordinated emergency services response rescued 22 precariously positioned fairground visitors after their amusement ride failed this afternoon.

The Surf Rider at Bottons amusement park, Skegness, encountered a problem which sent its three tonne carriage veering out of position, trapping its occupants as they dangled vertically above the ground.

Four fire engines, eight ambulances and two helicopter air ambulances were called at 3.15pm and soon arrived on the scene to rescue those trapped and rush the injured to hospital.

Within 39 minutes fire crews from Skegness, Spilsby and Wainfleet had safely removed all of the trapped occupants from the ride.

Deputy divisional commander Jason Lawley, speaking after the rescue said: “It was an unusual situation – there were 22 people on the ride, and a problem caused it to end up in in a semi vertical position, with all 22 people remaining in their seats.

“We arrived just after the police, secured the scene and the ride in position, while we carried out rescues in priority order of injury.

“None of them were serious in terms of being life threatening.

“It was a heavy jolt from the 3.2 tonne carriage so it will have caused some potential neck and C spine injuries and a number of people have been taken to hospital

“We had really good assistance from the fair ground maintenance staff and the ambulance crews.”

Currently there is no official explanation as to the cause of the accident and there will be an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive.

Eye witnesses earlier in the day said they saw maintenance being carried out on the ride shortly after 10am and what they believed to be a cooling fan was replaced.

http://www.skegnessstandard.co.uk/news/ ... _1_3010934

Martyn B

CF Legend
Doubt anyone really cares that much, but the ride is being removed. And the 7 people that were taken to hospital have all recovered and are back at home on the phone to their solicitors.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ You're right, I don't care that the ride is being removed. I dislike that type of flat ride.

I like Bottons ( I prefer it to Fantasy Island) so I hope they recover from this. I also hope the injured ones are fairly compensated.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Jimmy Botton (owner) has confirmed in the local press that there will be a replacement ride brought in for the 2012 season, and it sounds like he's off to the Euro Attractions show next week to find it!