What's new

Superman: Ride of Steel... 2?

Comet

Roller Poster
It's more like if you could add 10 points to the average of any subject would you add it to the subject you have an 100 in (Superman) or a class you have a 60 in (Mind Eraser/Boomerang).

And I'm pretty sure this is confirmed...no?

Comet

Roller Poster
I didn't mean to really rank the ride an 100/100 I was just saying that for the anology.
I could give it a 75 or 65 and the point would still be made, there is rides in more need of a major rehab and new trains then this. I agree though it does need paint and touch ups as the parks iconic ride it should definitely look good, but it rides fine as far as I'm concerned and I don't know why new trains get rid off a rattle that stuff is more in the track work and I'm pretty sure we're not looking at retracking here.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
Yes, why give a great a ride a rehab when you could just ignore it and build new things instead?

Seriously, poorly made statement. Parks should rehab old rides more often.

Are the effects completely necessary? No, not for us - but the trains and the paint job are certainly welcome, and you'd be stupid to argue that the effects won't give the GP something new to spice up the ride a bit.

I'm glad more parks are spending money on fixing older rides nowadays (X2, Great Nor'Easter, etc.) - it bums me out every time I look at how some other former greats have been ignored (GhostRider).

I never said that the paint and new trains were bad things. In fact they are great.
But in regards, to the effects, it's a little bit overkill.
Sure GP may be all over it (as in the effects) , but they would rave all the more about a new ride.

Quote:
Your talking about X2 right?
Yes I believe they are gone.

When the hell did X ever have ankle things...? What are you talking about?

Quote:
But you said if the new trains WILL.
Are you talking about Superman Ride of Steel?
Intamin hyper coasters don't have "ankle bar things" (unless I'm on crack)

Some research would suffice. It would've helped avoid both this AND the above statement, which was equally as ridiculous.

http://www.rcdb.com/ig541.htm?picture=15

You can clearly see the retrofitted bars attached to the side of the T-bars that wrap around your legs and across to an ankle brace on either side. These were added to all three S:RoS's after the accident on S:RoS SFNE five years ago.

Around here, we tend to call them "M-bars" now, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a review for any one of these three hypers that doesn't mention them in some form of (most certainly due) disdain.

Yes, they were stupid comments. I apologize for those.

Quote:
Yes, but how much better will it make this ride? Its already a superve ride.

A ride that is beginning to show definite signs of age, wear, and tear. The ride rattles through the entire second half, and it's practically pink now because it hasn't been painted in years.

It's not bad by any means, but to say it couldn't use a significant rehab is a completely false statement. Again, you'd do well to read the reviews of the people that have ridden it in this topic (if nothing else, the reviews of those of us that have ridden it just about every year it's been open) before making such outlandish statements.

Sorry I was more talking about the effects. (not the new train and paint job) I should have made that more clear.
Witch they will draw some people in. But when you look at the cost of putting in a new sound system, and fire shots, is it really worth it. Will it draw in so many people that it will turn out cash positive.

I'm willing to bet you were one of the people that bitched about the $10 million being spent on X2 as well - and look at how much better of a ride it is!

Well, I was not one of those who bitched about the X2 rehab.
The rehab suited the ride/ went along with the "theme".
Where as a new sound system on Superman does not.

Stupid analogy.

Oh it was perfectly fine! ;)

A

Anonymous

I look at it from the perspective of the other people in the thread who say ........... While a welcomed addition, it's not NEEDED, and other rides in the park could use this addition. Have you ridden Mind Eraser recently???? I rode it twice in a row earlier this month, and the ride itself is INTENSE, but it also hurts your head, putting some new money into that and you might *actually* have a good coaster with new trains, and some paint. I think Superman does need some new trains and paint as well, but the special effects and "sound system" thing are going over board and money could have been better spent elsewhere. Hell right now they don't even use all the effects on Superman as it is ....... they don't use the fog/water mist on the first drop anymore, So why not just add new trains and turn the effects the ride already has ON instead of adding more.

Gazza

Giga Poster
The way I am seeing this is that management, for one reason or another, just wanted some new trains and a paint job no matter what (These sorts of things aren't done as a folly)

But these alone probably wouldn't have gotten a good enough return on investment, so they probably opted to tack on the the extras, then market the package as a whole, all of a sudden it becomes something people might care about. IMO its a perfectly legit stratergy. X2 has already been mentioned, but you could say Moreys did something similar...not as drastic, but they went to the effort of renaming the ride just to get a bit more leverage off the money they spent.

The thing to remember is that coaster trains are very expensive, as would be the thousands of litres of paint needed to repaint the whole structure, but I can guarantee that the extra additions, like music and fire would only represent a fraction of the cost of the main upgrades.

I think Superman does need some new trains and paint as well, but the special effects and "sound system" thing are going over board and money could have been better spent elsewhere.
But if you didn't put the fire and music on Superman, you'd just be putting it on some other turd of a ride that would still be pretty poor even with the upgrades. For this style of update to really be worth it, it really does need to be a whole package.

Now, with these changes, I think they could really work well if some careful thought was given in putting them together as a cohesive whole.

I mean, on X2 they just put a bunch of 'edgy' things in together (Fire, rock music, black and red paint etc) and this was probably good enough to match the 'flavour' of the ride (I wouldn't call it themed) and the way it was marketed.

But I don't think such a random approach would be as good on a ride based around a Licensed character. Clearly it would be disappointing if they just chose some random famous rock song, and put the fire effects in with no real logic in placement.
I also think that just solely playing the regular superman theme on the ride would be a bit of a cheap effort.

Personally, I'd like it if they thought of some sort of story, which would be communicated to riders in a re themed queue house. I guess the obvious (and stolen) answer is some disaster which superman is involved in saving guests from. The fire and fog effects could then be worked in to represent/be a by-product of this disaster (Rather than just having fire for the sake of fire)
Finally, the onboard audio would be a orchestral piece, composed to match the movements of the ride, while also helping to convey the story

I mean on California Screamin the soundtrack goes through very distinct changes that perfectly match what is going on (The 'setting off' music as you leave the station, frantic music during the high speed parts, anticipation music on the lift hill, 'finale' music as you pull back into the station)

A similar approach would be taken with ROS...eg the parts of the ride with fire effects going off would have very fearsome and perilous type music to convey the feeling of being caught in a disaster,
The famous Superman theme could be used at the moment when superman rescues you,
music at the end of the ride would convey a feeling that you had made it out alive (I guess like the music at the end of IOAs Spiderman)
...it would very much depend on what the story was.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^I like the sound of that Gazza. Hopefully they will be doing something along the lines your discribing.
It seems everyone's in agreement the coaster needs new trains & a paint job, so how much is going to be left over for the sound system & fire effects? Not a whole lot & not enough for any new ride, much less a new coaster. And what good would that money due for another coaster like Mind Eraser? I don't think that would even be enough to put in new seats (which didn't do a lot for Fly the Great Nor'Easter). So talk of using the money on new or existing coasters is nonsense.
Like UC says, SFNE has to get that bad taste out of the GP's mouths. They had a spike in season pass sales this year on the promise of the Dark Knight and the token ERT offered to those holders hardly makes up for that broken promise. Now they've gone and made a promise they can keep. It might not push the season pass purchases past this year sales, but it might just get those who did get one to renew for next season.
Besides, maybe next year S:RoS will actually earn it's Golden Ticket!

Gazza

Giga Poster
to even think of comparing it to CA Screamin' is ridiculous
Why? it was the closest example I could think of in terms of a ride that has a soundtrack composed around the tempo of the ride itself.
I mean, its SF we are talking about here so clearly you wouldn't have anything like the thought put into some of the Disney ride soundtracks, but really, CA Screamin' was probably the easiest way to explain to people what I was on about.

But still, SF does seem to care a bit more about theming and story again these days, and on X2 they made some effort in mixing 5 songs during the course of the ride to suit what was happening, all I propose for SROS is music that suits a theme, rather than off the radio rock songs.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
You're also forgetting the sheer shock value of what SFNE is doing. Tell me something - won't you be itching to find out what kind of difference SFNE is making to...the...world's...best...steel...coaster...?

Worlds best steel coaster?
Please.
While it may be way up there, the golden tickets a wack.

Yes, you're very correct. "Re-theming" a ride themed to "The XTREME!" by painting it weird colors, giving it a new train that doesn't even come close to matching these colors

I don't exactly mean what you men by "painting it weird colors".
When exactly did red and black become WEIRD colors.
Sure the train doesn't at all match the track color. But it gives it an edge. Witch is a good thing because the ride is Xtreme. It is support to "break" all the rules.

modifying a loading system that was so f*cked up in the first place it never should've left Arrow's design computers

Yes the loading system was so f*cked up, thats why it needed to be modified.

and what part you don't understand about the fact that S:RoS needs a rehab as well.

I never, NEVER, said it didn't need the rehab.
I was just saying the sound system, and the fireshots were a little bit overboard.

Just because you mentioned X2 having theme...can you tell me what exactly a volcano has to do with anything? Or tell me what kind of tangible theme is being portrayed here?

A volcano is extreme, and the ride's name is Xtreme.
Whats so hard to get about that.
Plus it goes with the track (not car) color scheme.

PLCP

Mega Poster
It sounds....interesting. To tell you the truth, I can't really even imagine associating fireballs with this coaster.

Ben said:
“Six Flags is regarded as the undisputed leader in thrill ride innovation"

That statement actually made me laugh out loud.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Now I agree that this should be good. I don't know how long they will run the fire effects, and it's not that important, but new and better trains surely will improvise the coaster for years to come.

For the record, are the U-bars the same bars as on Piraten? I fould them quite good, altough one badly placed screw really hurt on the smaller hills.

Comet

Roller Poster
As far as the trains go, there could not have been better news.
Although I still do disagree with the whole concept of this project, it is good to see that they are at least doing it right.

There is nothing major they can mess up now knowing there will definitely be no OTSR, so I'm sorta relieved.

Snoo

The Legend
Also, U bars, even if they get a snug feel, still gives great airtime. Hell, last ride on Toro was a tight one and still had great ejector.

Ben

CF Legend
OK, people complained about the nice blue Medusa was painted?

sros_purple_157.jpg

http://sfneonline.com/features/parkupdates/111108/111108.html

Wonder what the new theme will be (I'm guessing it's going to get one?).

marc

CF Legend
Purple says so me Joker, unless it still has something to do with Superman then I dont have a clue.

I quite like the new colour.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
That page said:
Also notice the Superman logo has been removed from the station which (combined with the new paint) undoubtedly means Superman will receive a new name.
A fiver on Goliath.

Well, personally, I liked the other colours better, but this may just be a primer. Anyways, I think the ride will be better with the refurb than without it.

Ben

CF Legend
Well, I've literally just done some reading, and apparently something Lex Luthor related is being rumoured?

Now, I know nothing about the Superman 'World', so would purple make sense? I thought he was all about the green, but... eh...

Emmett

Giga Poster
I hope the supports will be getting a colour change too. I don't think the purple and blue go well together.