What's new

Stuff you would like to see

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
A gravity max here in the US, obviously longer and ideally made by B&M (yeah, not even in my dreams)
A traditional 100 mph coaster

Mean Streak gets the RMC I Horse track. Now that the ride has been made smooth it has killed most of the fun, was pretty lame and those brakes on the drop suck. Might as well go all the way and convert to steel track, add those 90+ degree banks and better/faster drop.

Will second a US mega lite, and more GG coasters.

BBH

Giga Poster
I definitely think Intamin needs to make more Inverted Impulse and ZacSpin coasters.

Hey, there's an idea, an inverted launched wooden shuttle coaster!

Meanwhile, in the Intamin boardroom, "Challenge accepted."

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
As for park-specific, Cedar Point definitely lacks a bit in variety, at least compared with other competing parks (e.g. SFGA or SFMM). Where's their B&M flyer? Dive machine? Floorless? Hybrid (e.g. Voyage)? Euro-Fighter? 10+ inversions? What about a ZacSpin?

In all honesty, I don't think they've been innovative enough either! With the exception of Maverick (or arguably MF or TTD or others), it seems any other parks are the ones getting the wickedly insane coaster experiences, like these examples off the top of my head:

- Voyage
- Outlaw Run
- Tatsu
- Takabisha
- El Toro
- X2

Etc.

I do know however that some of these experiences rely on features with the terrain and CP is extremely limited with this :( Nonetheless, I do believe CP could use either a good Euro-Fighter (e.g. TAKABISHA!) or an Intamin 10+ inversion coaster if you ask me! :D That would even leave room for them to reclaim some record-breakers or even kill two birds with one stone, i.e. steepest drop + most inversions on the same coaster? Who knows, but that sounds like it'd be pretty awesome :) Either that or a decently designed wooden prefab or hybrid in the likes of T Express or Voyage, respectively. There I could see why people would like Mean Streak to be dismantled. Erm...

EDIT: On second thought, I think they're catching up to par again with the newly announced GateKeeper :D

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
ava1enzue1a said:
As for park-specific, Cedar Point definitely lacks a bit in variety, at least compared with other competing parks (e.g. SFGA or SFMM). Where's their B&M flyer? Dive machine? Floorless? Hybrid (e.g. Voyage)? Euro-Fighter? 10+ inversions? What about a ZacSpin?

In all honesty, I don't think they've been innovative enough either! With the exception of Maverick (or arguably MF or TTD or others), it seems any other parks are the ones getting the wickedly insane coaster experiences, like these examples off the top of my head:

- Voyage
- Outlaw Run
- Tatsu
- Takabisha
- El Toro
- X2

Etc.

I do know however that some of these experiences rely on features with the terrain and CP is extremely limited with this :( Nonetheless, I do believe CP could use either a good Euro-Fighter (e.g. TAKABISHA!) or an Intamin 10+ inversion coaster if you ask me! :D That would even leave room for them to reclaim some record-breakers or even kill two birds with one stone, i.e. steepest drop + most inversions on the same coaster? Who knows, but that sounds like it'd be pretty awesome :) Either that or a decently designed wooden prefab or hybrid in the likes of T Express or Voyage, respectively. There I could see why people would like Mean Streak to be dismantled. Erm...

EDIT: On second thought, I think they're catching up to par again with the newly announced GateKeeper :D
Let's break it down:

Cedar Point lacks a bit in variety.

Just because there are a wide variety of roller coasters in the world does not mean they must all be present at the same park.

For instance, why build a Euro-Fighter when Maverick already features a beyond vertical drop? And would a Floorless coaster or B&M Flyer offer a truly different ride experience vs. Raptor and GateKeeper?

You must also bear in mind capacity. Cedar Point always look for rides that will max out on capacity, which would eliminate a ZacSpin or Euro-Fighter.

As for inversions, Cedar Point is tied for 3rd in most inversions per park. Still, let's look at the most recent Mitch Hawker Poll. 8 out of the top 25 steel roller coasters have inversions. If we add in the top wooden coasters, that number would go down even further for an overall count. Inversions are not necessary for top tier roller coasters, which instead focus on height, speed, and airtime. Cedar Fair buys into this philosophy across their parks.

Cedar Point has not been innovative enough.

Here is a glimpse at Cedar Point's work ride by ride (per records when they opened).

Space Spiral - Tallest observation tower in the world, tallest object within a 1 hour driving radius.
Corkscrew - Opened with the most inversions in the world, only opened 6 days after Revolution at SFMM.
Mill Race - First Arrow Dynamics log flume ride in the world.
Gemini - Tallest and fastest roller coaster in the world.
White Water Landing - Tallest log flume ride in the world.
Magnum XL-200 - Tallest and fastest roller coaster in the world. First to break 200 ft. mark.
Mean Streak - Tallest and fastest wooden coaster in the world.
Snake River Falls - Tallest and fastest shoot the chutes ride in the world.
Raptor - Tallest and fastest inverted coaster in the world. First B&M Invert to be built on a large scale.
Mantis - Tallest and fastest stand-up coaster in the world. First B&M Stand-Up to be built on a large scale.
Power Tower - Tallest S&S Skyshot tower built in the world. Only four legged tower in the world.
Millennium Force - Tallest and fastest roller coaster in the world. First roller coaster to use a cable lift, magnetic brakes, and stadium-style train seating.
Wicked Twister - Tallest and fastest inverted roller coaster in the world.
TTD - Tallest and fastest roller coaster in the world. First roller coaster to break 400 ft. mark. Second roller coaster overall to use a hydraulic launch. (Xcelerator at Knott's is first)
maXair - Tallest swinging ride in the world.
Skyhawk - Largest swinging ride in the world. Tallest of its model.
Maverick - No true records broken, but layout speaks for its own innovation of incorporating every single essential coaster element.
WindSeeker - first tower-swinging ride of its kind in the world. (Which continues to all other CF parks)
GateKeeper - Tallest and longer winged coaster in the world. Tallest inversion in the world. Will incorporate an entire redesign of the main front entrance.

This of course is strictly rides - not incorporating countless landscaping, environmental, and other park changes that have happened over the years, such as the relocation of Ocean Motion to the front of the park or reuse of White Water Landing's station for Maverick's queue.

Where is the lack of innovation again?

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
CoastingChris50 said:
bmac said:
Speaking of Mean Streak I'd still like to see it burned to the ground...

How I feel about a majority of the old wooden coasters I've been on.

.....I now strongly dislike you :lol:

I really did used to love Mean Streak but now that they reprofiled it...was the least fun coaster at CP. Yeah more than Gemini. Hell the mind ride gave it a run for it's money!
Maybe it was always that slow, but was at least rough. Now it's just boring. I'd like to see the RMC treatment just to preserve that grand wooden structure, would make me quite upset for the whole thing to just be torn down.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I'm not speaking about Mean Streak (never rode it) I just mean in general other than Boulder Dash and Lightning Racer the wooden coasters I've ridden haven't been that fun. Specifically Thunderhawk at Dorney, Cyclone at SFNE, and Wildcat at Lake Compounce.

kimahri

CF Legend
CoastingChris50 said:
I'm not speaking about Mean Streak (never rode it) I just mean in general other than Boulder Dash and Lightning Racer the wooden coasters I've ridden haven't been that fun. Specifically Thunderhawk at Dorney, Cyclone at SFNE, and Wildcat at Lake Compounce.

Get out.

bmac

Giga Poster
CoastingChris50 said:

you're talking about 3 of the least popular wooden coasters on the east coast, there's so much more good wood in the area that will totally change your perception of wooden coasters.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I've only been on 10 woods some good some bad I know there are so many more I just haven't been able to get to most places. I know that they arn't popular the point I'm trying to make is I don't like rough coasters. I love wood just not when its insanely rough.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
CoastingChris50 said:

Oh the Mean Streak was to someone else, though the new smoothness and brakes on the drop completely neutered that ride :cry:

Well just so ya know those last 2 are pretty hated by the coaster community so that may just be poor selection to choose from.

And woodies aren't popular but honestly people are total wusses LOL a slight rattle has everyone whining it seems. Shame, I love a rough ride and they give such an out of control and scary feel.

bmac

Giga Poster
JJLehto said:
CoastingChris50 said:

Oh the Mean Streak was to someone else, though the new smoothness and brakes on the drop completely neutered that ride :cry:

Well just so ya know those last 2 are pretty hated by the coaster community so that may just be poor selection to choose from.

And woodies aren't popular but honestly people are total wusses LOL a slight rattle has everyone whining it seems. Shame, I love a rough ride and they give such an out of control and scary feel.

Wait, wait. You like getting jack hammered constantly for an entire mile? Don't get me wrong I love a good, rough woodie as much as anyone else but Mean Streak was just too much for me back in 2010. I have honestly never experienced jack hammering that bad before or after I ridden it. People say Wildcat at Hersheypark is insanely rough, but a mild headache doesn't even scratch at the severity of feeling your spine getting hammered every foot for an entire mile. I'll take a smoother and more trimmed ride over a compounded spine any day of the week.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Oh and don't get me wrong, to each their own. Just it upsets me to see the state of the woodies is all.

I also have a masochist streak, only Villian at Geauga was too rough for me and I really wish I could've ridden SoB just to know the pain!

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
bmac said:
JJLehto said:
CoastingChris50 said:

Wait, wait. You like getting jack hammered constantly for an entire mile? Don't get me wrong I love a good, rough woodie as much as anyone else but Mean Streak was just too much for me back in 2010. I have honestly never experienced jack hammering that bad before or after I ridden it. People say Wildcat at Hersheypark is insanely rough, but a mild headache doesn't even scratch at the severity of feeling your spine getting hammered every foot for an entire mile. I'll take a smoother and more trimmed ride over a compounded spine any day of the week.

Granted, it was deff up there. Hercules at Dorney was another that pushed the limit.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Intricks said:
Mean Streaks roughness comes from the trimming.
Word.

For what it's worth, Cedar Point's refurb job on Mean Streak for this season actually went off pretty well - the coaster is the smoothest is has been in a solid 10 years.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Absolutely, just its smoothness IMO revealed a pretty dull ride. It's pacing was awful and just didn't feel very fast for long segments.

But this isn't a Mean Streak thread.

I'd like to see a B&M 12 looper. And one that's not just a 7 looper + but with unique/new inversions and a good layout.